Dot proposes rule to ban service mini horses from flights

TapitsGal

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26 am

As the ADA classes mini horses as service animals wouldn't airlines following these rules be subjected to discriminatory lawsuits?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pe ... s-n1120511
Flanders

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:44 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26 am
As the ADA classes mini horses as service animals wouldn't airlines following these rules be subjected to discriminatory lawsuits?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pe ... s-n1120511
No because the DOT/DOJ are the ones who make the laws about the animals.

As for the restrictions, good it took them long enough. Anyone trying to bring a freaking miniature horse on a plane, I would really hope the airline would tell them to go home. Also wild animals aren't service animals, so peacocks don't count. Its like that person that tried to bring kangaroos into a store and they told her to screw herself. You can't train another animal like you can a dog. They can be dangerous. I'm just trying to figure how someone could even fly with a miniature horse? Does the horse just stand in the aisle farting, crapping, peeing, blocking the aisle?

Service animals are animals that perform an actual service to the person. Emotinal support animals is every pet in the country. Its why people owns pets.
Private Thoughts

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Good, now let’s hope they enforce this in grocery stores , Costco, Lowe’s, etc.

Some moron brought their cat into Costco today, had it dressed in a bunny suit and was trying to hold it. The poor thing was freaking out and clawing the crap out of the owners.

I love my critters but they stay home.

These people who go online and buy the fake vests, fake paperwork should be fined and/or prosecuted for fraud.
DawnStorm

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm

I love my critters but they stay home.

These people who go online and buy the fake vests, fake paperwork should be fined and/or prosecuted for fraud.
Preach it! I'm thinking of carrying around a jar of water and telling people it's my emotional support ameba. :twisted:
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason
MySaladDays

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:40 am

I have a friend who trains mini horses for the blind. Have been on a few outings with them. (Legit).

We went into an antique shop and nboody blinked an eye, the little horse was perfectly behaved.
Then we went to a mexican restaurant. the owners seemed to have no problem with us.

She was training for a gal who is a university grad student who is in a religion/culture that considers dogs unclean.......besides a blind person may go thru many dogs and a mini horse lives a much longer time as a service animal.

They are very docile animals if trained properly and i see absolutely no difference between a guide dog and a guide mini horse, really? I certainly would not deny somebody their *eyes*.

So I disagree with Flanders, obviously. ;) If you cannot have a canine then what are her options?