Day 2

Modern Renaissance

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm

What are we all doing to enjoy this as much we can? Here is how today went down for me:

- Did a killer St. Patty's Day green smokey eye
- Remembered how to ride a bike (+1 alternative gym options)
- Rejoiced when my free weights came in the mail
- Got boyfriend to start reading a much beloved series that I have tried to get him to read for the past 6 years
- Tried to get into embroidery months ago. Had no time. Now have plenty of time. Lavender is looking nice, folks.
- Petrified of being a carrier and killing my parents, so took my lunch break by "visiting" my parents. Sat outside on the deck while they kept the back door open
- Skyped my very good friend in another state to toast to St. Patty's Day (with the Irish whiskey I bought ahead for "research" purposes for a trip to Ireland I won't now be taking, but I digress)

Tomorrow I plan on using said bike to bike to the bay and watch the bay. There is always something about the bay that makes my problems feel so small. Do some bicep curls. Order some new curtains. Journal about what it's like to live during this so I can tell my nieces/nephews. It will be ok.
lurkey mclurker

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 pm

So our schools are (officially) closed for the next four weeks, and I have three students who will have birthdays during that time, so I brought home the stuff I usually give for birthdays (sticker, pencil/eraser, bracelet, bookmark) and then went to the pakmail store to mail them out.

While I was there I looked for bananas at the grocery store but no bueno :( HOWEVER with all the hubbub I'd totally forgotten that it was St Patrick's Day and so I hadn't gotten anything to cook - but there was still corned beef! and cabbage! and some carrots! so I got those. Now I will have leftovers for several days too... :D

Was glad to see the store had posted a sign asking people only to buy what they needed, and that they were limiting quantities of high-demand items to make sure people could get them. Many shelves were decimated but I just tried to not look so I wouldn't freak myself out.

Waited all day for the governor's presser to hear further guidance for schools - not that he gave anything specific :x - and then at the end he said people shouldn't expect to go back in week, or a few weeks. And even later was sharing an anecdote and said that he'd told his daughter "honey, I don't think the schools are going to open again." :shock:

Soooooooooooooooo. There we are. Day 2.
Tessablue

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Ooh what book series?

I woke up to snow on the ground and a text from my mother saying Brady was leaving, so I... went back to sleep for a while. Unfortunately, 2020 turned out not to be a prolonged nightmare, and almost everything was the same when I woke up. The snow had melted.

Checked up on the latest developments, wrote a bunch of emails (summer 1 semester officially online which means I need to cancel my course), got intimidated by the thought of learning how to use something called Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, went and played Dark Souls with my husband until the guilt of not working overtook me. He cooked a nice dinner (pork with mashed potatoes and carrots, thank goodness for Home Chef) while I got back to work.

Have been putting together a presentation for my first online session tomorrow, which I assume will be a disaster. Out of understanding for the difficult week the students have had (72 hours notice to pack up and leave), it's optional, so I just hope they show up. I made a slide about how to stay safe and deal with social distancing, which was really depressing so I spent the next hour collecting cute dog pictures to put in the final slide. The specter of Blackboard Collaborate Ultra still looms before me. I hope my students are handling this better than I am.

(great topic idea!)

Edited to add that your birthday card idea is so lovely and thoughtful, lurkey. Are you moving to online classes?
Modern Renaissance

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 pm
So our schools are (officially) closed for the next four weeks, and I have three students who will have birthdays during that time, so I brought home the stuff I usually give for birthdays (sticker, pencil/eraser, bracelet, bookmark) and then went to the pakmail store to mail them out.
This is the stuff I really love reading about - people still being good people in the worst of it all. I bet this makes them so happy.

TB, it is the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. The first few are very well written and hysterical. The series loses some steam towards the end but never fails to be entertaining.
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:08 am

Hmmm those Iron Druid books sound interesting, but... all completely in first person pov? That can either go well or very very not. :lol: I might check one out on audiobook since Amazon is going to prioritize medical/household staples (as they should).

We are still waiting to find out how our district wants us to proceed with distance learning, there is a lot of stuff re equity/access/servicing students with special needs that has to happen and they don't want us teachers mucking up the works. :roll: I had a 3-week plan ready to go but we'll see what the direction/guidance ends up being... we're not allowed to help with the meal service (grab & go) but I can at least work by myself in my classroom so I will go back in and do that. If nothing else I can tidy up like it's end of the year, maybe even start prepping for the fall.

My principal also said we could send our students letters if we would like, so I will get started on that. I can put a coloring or puzzle page on the back, too... I just am very very grateful that I will continue to be paid, so I feel like I should still be 'earning' it if that makes sense. And I will try to keep helping out as much as I can - I think I will call the blood bank (it's like two blocks from my school) and see if they need a donation. I know the Red Cross said they had to cancel blood drives...

So. Gonna try to stay busy so I don't go bonkers, but also try to do it in the most social-distancing-responsible way. :mrgreen:
MySaladDays

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:31 am

Modern Renaissance wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm

- Remembered how to ride a bike (+1 alternative gym options)

- Petrified of being a carrier and killing my parents, so took my lunch break by "visiting" my parents. Sat outside on the deck while they kept the back door open
Thank you for this great topic. You made me think about getting a bike, but I don't really have a bike carrier, and where I live there are no shoulders, so I am thinking if I can't take bike to a bike trail, I better not. Plus I really can't lift a bike in and out of my truck

I guess I will just do some hiking? Unfortunately, that isn't a good subject either, since both my dogs died of old age last year, and I can't just run out and get new ones, because I moved to an apartment that doesn't allow big dogs.....and mine were labs, so ......

My parent is 92 wtih advanced COPD, it's touch and go as it is, but the idea that I cannot fly there to see her has me very sleepless. Of course I can't fly there and then actually VISIT her. AS giving her even a bad cold could be curtains

I don't have or watch TV. Got a LOT of books though......that I've been meaning to read. I guess I can go to some nice spots and sit at picnic table at some trailheads and read. I think walking around town would be safe? Not going in anyplace????

I'm 68, so I'm at the ripe age of being killed by this myself :lol:

I need more suggestions I guess. I feel like this wasn't the best time because I have less "options" than I ususally do. I didn't get a dog because of knowing I would be visiting parent and then I would have to board dog, etc. So I figured "put that off for a while".
I haven't NOT had a dog since I was 8. that's 60 years! This is so hard.

I think I will go down to the humane society and see if I can walk their dogs or something?
Modern Renaissance

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am

I know my gym and a lot of others are offering web-streamed workouts, yoga, and mediation sessions. Maybe a local gym or studio is offering this near you? I think even Peleton has a free month right now. You should go hike anyway. Air is good and even seeing people is such an oxytocin booster. I "met" a very cute Aussie puppy on my run the other day. We can still talk to random people even from a distance.

I think HBO is free, a lot of channels unlocked their movie portions.

This is a horrible and trying time but in a way we so fortunate. During the Spanish flu half the nation didnt even have electricity let alone the internet!
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am

MSD, since you have a computer you could always try Netflix or Hulu online? Or you can explore the YouTube vortex... :lol:

I think walking or at least some outside time is an excellent idea! Even just walking around the block. And helping the humane society is fabulous too, I bet they really need dog walkers... I've seen on Twitter that many shelters are asking if folks can help emergency foster some animals, with so many people staying home.

I wanted to go in to work in my classroom today but our district is starting up our grab & go meal service so we were asked NOT to come in or help. :-/ Our curriculum director is in home quarantine as she is in the most vulnerable age bracket (she said she was on "house arrest" LOL) so I'm a little bit side-eyed at what direction we might get for student learning, but I guess I will need to practice patience!

It's amazing how different staying home is when you CAN'T (or really really shouldn't) go anywhere, versus when it's break/holidays and you COULD go out if you wanted to, but choose to be lazy at home. I was texting with my teaching partner last night and decided I need to come up with some sort of schedule for myself... that way I won't go bonkers :mrgreen: and with stuff to focus on, will have less time to fret about things I really can't control anyway. Just have to cross fingers and hope that common sense prevails and we get ahead of this thing sooner rather than later!
Tessablue

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Had my first Blackboard Collaborate Ultra session and it went a lot better than anticipated. I told the students it was optional, and 15 of them showed up... out of 16. Got a bunch of thanks afterwards too. I'm... honestly pretty emotional right now.
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:29 pm

Woohoo!!! Virtual hugs all around. : )))))))
Modern Renaissance

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Day 3:

- Re-organized both hall closets
- Found an a screw/anchor set in said reorganization which is great because now I can hang up a few heavier frames photos
- Hung up a few photos that didn't require that
- Reorganized our spice drawer
- Got a great bike rice in followed by a great 15 minute upper body workout. My arms ache in a wonderful way
- Embroidery kits were delivered
- "Shared" a glass of wine with my sister, as today was the day we were supposed to rebirth our yearly sister trip and go to Paris. I sat outside on the deck while she sat at the table inside. She thinks I am being ridiculous but she has asthma, and I like her alive (usually)

Had to brave the public because I am perilously low on Zyrtec D and this is not the time of year to be without it. No one there. Despite no paper goods, there were tons of pain meds and cold medication at Rite Aid. This is the second time in a week I have seen this. What do people think they are going to do when they get sick?

Also there are still so many people out. Just gigantic groups of kids when I went to the park. All vaping. Great times.

Oh well. All I can do is my part. Going to read now and enjoy some terrible white wine I was given for Christmas (I hate white wine).
lurkey mclurker

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Welp I was gonna talk about my day 4 but pretty much right now I'm absorbing the fact that the governor (California) has just stated it is necessary to extend shelter-in-place statewide... effective this evening.

Wow. :?

I mean, okay it's really not that drastically different than what I personally have already been doing this week... but hearing the words, it's just beyond surreal. :shock:
Modern Renaissance

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Oh God! I'm so sorry. This is such an insane time to be alive. I hope you are doing ok otherwise. When you were out did you notice people not adhering to social distancing? Cuomo is adamant that won't happen here and I hope it doesn't. I will lose my mind if I run/bike outside. I don't even see other people when I do and it's so good to have the fresh air on my face.

Was going to use a PTO day tomorrow but am uneasy about doing it; we got an email today that someone in my office is having symptoms and a coworker I'm close to thinks they might have it. Have to trust that I am 100% type A and clean excessively daily and take relatively good care of myself.

I will not focus on any negative now but only the positive:
- Made great coffee
- Got two big things off my work desk
- Had a great workout - way less people at the park because it rained until about noon.
- Read 25% of a book
- Re-organized all my makeup
- Removed some hooks in my bathroom, spackled the holes. Should be able to paint over them tomorrow providing sanding goes ok
- Ordered a facial roller and some makeup wedges, the latter so I can try an ombre effect on my nails, the former cause why not. I miss my nail ladies.
- Boyfriend was assured he would be able to keep his job
- Parks and Rec (obviously the best part)
- Checked Amazon for free weights. Glad I panic bought them two weeks ago because there are almost no affordable ones left.

My sister works in NYC, she works in news and is essential. Her photos of empty subway cars, LIRR trains, and city streets are eerie. Oddly, the empty NYC streets are hauntingly beautiful.
lurkey mclurker

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Everyone in my community seems to be taking things seriously - definitely at work/school and in public spaces/places like the grocery store & bank. I'm fortunate that I am okay with supplies (I had bought some sanitizer/wipes for my classroom just before everything went nuts and since I don't need them for school right now I just brought them home) and will still be paid, so I'm trying to do what I can to help. Made some donations to Meals on Wheels (which I already support anyway) & our food bank, and will call the blood bank tomorrow to see about an appointment for donating.

I wrote letters to my students today and copied a spring coloring & word search page to send to them along with a stationery page & SASE (does anyone know what those are anymore even? :lol: ) so they can write back if they want to, since school will still be open for meal service we should still get mail I hope.

I brought home a lot of stuff in case I needed it for planning distance learning but we keep hearing that the district office is going to do it... most recent for our grade level sounded like learning "packets" but we were also given clear direction that the work can't be required and is not to be graded, so. :? I just want them to hurry up and do what they're going to do so I can work around them and send home more online stuff for families if they want... I'm gonna call it "fun" so hopefully it flies under the radar. :mrgreen:

Tomorrow I'm going to go into my classroom and call my families to make sure I have their correct contact info & to let them know the letters are coming. Then I will start my end-of-year tidying I think... for the moment we're still allowed to work in our classrooms and it gives me something to do and time out of the house, in the sunshine with the birds and squirrels. The most recent email from our superintendent, after the governor's press conference tonight, told us not to worry and that we'd get through this... a very welcome message at a very uncertain time. I'm definitely counting my blessings.

Glad to hear your BF will be able to work , and I will be crossing my fingers and toes that you & all of yours stay safe and well. : )))) Kudos to your sister, too - we need accurate news like nothing else these days!
starrydreamer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Modern Renaissance wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 pm
Oh God! I'm so sorry. This is such an insane time to be alive. I hope you are doing ok otherwise. When you were out did you notice people not adhering to social distancing? Cuomo is adamant that won't happen here and I hope it doesn't. I will lose my mind if I run/bike outside. I don't even see other people when I do and it's so good to have the fresh air on my face.

Apparently, Cuomo today ordered all non-essential businesses closed and everyone to stay home. He's not calling it "sheltering in place" because that usually means there's an active shooter or something... but that's essentially what he's ordering. I think you can likely still go out and get exercise, just avoid crowds.

Here, we've hit a weird kind of rhythm. My husband and I are both working from home. I always work from home and I have a home office. He is a manager and is usually in meetings and rarely works from home. His schedule is unpredictable because of his meetings and it's busy because he works for a medical related field where they make, among other things, x-rays and ventilators. He works in that x-ray part of the business. So he has had a LOT of calls. We also have a 5 year old and schools closed on Monday. He has had online learning to do, but seeing as he is in kindergarten, he needs a good deal of supervision. He's also in special ed, so he has additional work. So my husband gets on his calls in my office and I go down to oversee schoolwork for the kid. When husband isn't on calls, he takes over overseeing the kid, and I go up and get as much work done as I can. It's not great, but it's all we can do.

So when people say they're bored, I give a little side eye. Because holy cow, I haven't been this busy in a long time.

Also, I'm in my second trimester of pregnancy so I'm dealing with hormones and hunger and needing to pee a lot.
Tessablue

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm

It's so wonderful to hear about the things you're doing to help, lurkey. You sound like an absolutely wonderful teacher. What grade do you teach, and which subject? Wishing you the best with your shelter in place- the feeling is that it's inevitable here as well.

MSD, I second the recommendation for Youtube- there's an absolute treasure trove on there for racing fans. Pick a race and a year, and you'll lose yourself for hours. You might also be able to find some fun racing documentaries on there as well! It's also a great time to try creative things. Writing, drawing, singing- who's going to stop you? Now the chance to try them all out!

Like starry I'm insanely busy too. My university sent an email saying we should be "grateful" to have the chance to work from home, which really helped morale. They're still insisting that research should continue and seem to be incentivizing money over health, which is nothing new. But as long as I can see my students, I don't care how crappy the school's leadership has been. Met with my final section yesterday- the one I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to- and they all showed up, bringing the total attendence to 46/48. What a wonderful bunch of kids... or I guess adults, technically.

Now have three days to write four recommendation letters, three new rubrics, and prepare to fully move my 100% lab-based course online before our group sessions on Monday. It feels a bit like preparing a bunch of DnD campaigns, or at least that's how I'm choosing to look at it! And they said those skills would never be transferable...
Mylute

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:32 pm

To be honest, I am depressed, because I really love going to my community college and now I can't experience all the best parts of it, only the online work, and I already loathe online classes. It's hard to describe how I feel right now. My high school was incredibly sh*tty and I was miserable there, and my college experience has been a revolution. I remember people laughing at me because I was marveling at a school actually having hot water at their bathroom sinks. They all came from bigger, privileged schools. I also miss my teachers and classmates. I had a work study job that was my main source of income during the school year. I no longer have that income. My summer job probably won’t open either (waterpark). Looks like no job for me for the foreseeable future. We had spring break before all this happened, so I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone and some of my stuff is still in one of my club's rooms. I'm a sophomore. Will we get to have a commencement ceremony? Do I get a refund for my cap and gown? Probably not.

I made a short film that I wrote, directed, acted in, etc. with my film production class that wrapped up shortly before spring break. I was to begin editing it when we came back on the film club's high-powered PC. The project is now in limbo because my laptop will not support Adobe Premiere (editing software) and I can't get to campus. The club also has a new Apple laptop but someone else has that. I was in two theatrical productions. Both have been postponed indefinitely. I am set to have an audition for a theatre scholarship at a university and that is also up in the air. I emailed the dept. chairman about it and have received no response. My friend at college was in my college’s play and that has been completely cancelled, so close to showtime.

On the bright side, I signed up for a volunteer virtual learning research session through Pearson that was to reward me with a $50 Amazon card. A couple hours after signing up, it was cancelled, and I got the card anyway. :D And I also rode a bike for the first time in years today, MR. Too bad it was a little boys' bike...ow. I am trying to find the motivation to do things.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Modern Renaissance

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:10 pm
Apparently, Cuomo today ordered all non-essential businesses closed and everyone to stay home. He's not calling it "sheltering in place" because that usually means there's an active shooter or something... but that's essentially what he's ordering. I think you can likely still go out and get exercise, just avoid crowds.
I think the shelter in place came about during the cold water and what people were supposed to do during a bombing and he wanted to avoid that connotation. I can get out but people are stupid and Long Island is always crowded. Guess I can wake up early for the time being. I have been a huge Cuomo supporter in all this but I wish this would have just been executed from the beginning, as opposed to us having our worlds redefined on a daily basis. Not that I was going out except for essentials, anyway. As someone who naturally hates everyone this was never going to be the worst for me. I am physically isolated from my family though, which will wear on me.

My computer is dreadfully slow, and I am 100% type A so the slow down in productivity is killing me. I work a lot to begin with to always kind of stay ahead because you never know what will happen, and I'm glad for that now. And my assistant, who is as type A as I am. Management is thankfully mostly understanding.

For anyone who is looking for something to do, colored pencils are still affordable on Amazon and you can print out your own free PDFs. If you feel like not coming up for air over the next few months The Sims 4 is on sale for next to nothing. Pinterest how to decorate a room once this is all over. Spotify is free, so is Pandora, Youtube too, there are podcasts on learning other languages. Tons of old classic books are available for free on PDF form and i think Kindle unlimited is free for a time being.

Mylute, not that is a ton, but don't forget about the stimulus checks that we will be getting. Granted, I don't know how much stimulus there will be - people, self included, are afraid to spend.

I have been adamant about keeping to my regular schedule, except for letting myself sleep a half hour later. I have found this has really helped. I never do anything productive on Fridays as a rule so I will be reading and drinking some wine tonight!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 pm

I was very happy to discover my favorite medicinal herb supplier is doing curbside service. :mrgreen:
Be blissful while staying safe. ;)
Modern Renaissance

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 pm
I was very happy to discover my favorite medicinal herb supplier is doing curbside service. :mrgreen:
Be blissful while staying safe. ;)
Yes m'am! Enjoy indeed. :D