Waiting for news on ...

serenassong

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:49 pm

New vet list for Cali should be out late afternoon Monday on the East Coast, will keep an eye out to see who is on it. You can guess that if a horse does not appear and was vanned off with an apparent injury, they are gone.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
peeptoad

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:13 am

baitandswitch wrote:Per news reports, Kokaltash, a French colt trained by Darrell Vienna, had to be euthanized after being injured on the turf course in the fifth race.
Drats.
RIP Kokaltash.
Catalina

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 am

Condolences to Kokaltash's connections and fans, and especially those he left behind in Europe.
carole

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Rosario Montanez was unseated hard by his mount today at Saratoga, was taken straight to Albany Medical Centre, I hope the news can only get better from here :( One positive thing, the horse was caught and seems to be fine
David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 1h
Piquant unseated jockey Rosario Montanez down the backisde. Jock being attended to, horse caught

It looked Piquant bumped with Be Bullish entering far turn. Montanez hurled hard to the ground

Pat Cummings ‏@DubaiRaceNight 1h
Thoughts and prayers with jockey Rosario Montanez, who fell in R5 at Saratoga. Just now removed from course on backboard.

Rosario Montanez is being transported by ambulance to Albany Medical Center
baitandswitch

Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Montanez will remain in the hospital for a few days for several injuries. He had eye surgery this morning.
Katewerk

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:49 pm

gryphongold.jpg
gryphongold.jpg (177.11 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Gryphon Gold went over the rail in the 7th at Sacramento, jockey photographed up and apparently ok. Doesn't look as good for the horse.

http://twitpic.com/e8lbf0

Edited for update: @FrankMirahmadi

Safety rail at @castatefair likely saved life of Gryphon Gold, who walked off w some cuts on leg to the delight of big crowd at track :)
Diver52

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Oh, good, TVG announced they wouldn't show the race (which was on tape delay) due to the incident. Glad to hear everyone was okay.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
serenassong

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
second_glance wrote:Steve Andersen ‏@DRFAndersen 2m
Clenor, the 7-2 2nd choice, was pulled up shortly after start of Saturday's G3 Senorita Stakes. She is standing on first turn. #santaanita
Doug O'Neill ‏@DougONeill1 1h
Clenor is fine. Tyler thought she didn't feel fluid as usual, and as a precaution pulled her up. She jogged off... http://fb.me/6sMXCOqmp
Becoming a broodie, in case you did not know that- saw on Doug O'Neill's FB page. Trying to catch up- see will be going back across the pond from what I saw, and they will miss her.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:54 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:From DRF: Aftermarketslam ($8.80) won Thursday's fourth race for $20,000 maiden claimers, but will be vanned off from backstretch. #delmar

I watched that race, and although I was impressed by how game the horse was to come back for the win, I also thought he was moving very awkwardly. Appears I was right. :(
I really hope that apprentice Drayden Van Dyke didn't keep 'urging' a horse who should have been pulled sooner, rather than later.
Not on list, so this one may be indeed be gone. Going to try and find the minutes to see if there is a mention.

ETA- not out yet, sometimes takes as long as two weeks.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for checking, SS. He's a nice horse, and clearly very game. I really want this one to have a second chance.
PJMIII

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Dance With Fate sustains serious injury during training

Dance With Fate, the winner of the Grade 1 Blue Grass Stakes in April, sustained a stifle injury when he got loose in training at Del Mar on Thursday and was in serious condition at trainer Peter Eurton’s stable later in the morning.

http://www.drf.com/news/dance-fate-sust ... g-training
sweettalk

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:37 pm

bosserette and antiquity both went down in r6 at del mar. one hopped up and ran on, didn't catch who. any news, please.

edit; yes she's unusual broke down and it "looked grim"
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 pm

DRF has tweeted that Yes She's Unusual broke down, Bosserette and Antiquity lost their riders, and Tarn was pulled up.
I know Tarn was far back at the time of the incident, and I think the faller in front of her caused her to be pulled up and away from the fallen horse. Bosserette and Antiquity galloped out without their jocks.

ETA: Yes She's Unusual was euthanized. :cry:
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Longview Drive went wrong near the finish line on the first lap during the 1 1/2-mile Cougar at Del Mar. He's had a Kimzey splint placed on his left front and is being loaded into the equine ambulance.
Bad day at Del Mar.
serenassong

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Longview Drive went wrong near the finish line on the first lap during the 1 1/2-mile Cougar at Del Mar. He's had a Kimzey splint placed on his left front and is being loaded into the equine ambulance.
Bad day at Del Mar.
Crap, that sounds bad- and it seems to have been a bad day at Delmar
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 pm

DRF's Jay Privman has tweeted that Longview Drive had to be put down, due to shattered sesamoids in his left front.
Added, 'Ugly day here,' and I agree.
second_glance

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:21 am

Donna Keen -- of Remember Me Rescue and Dallas Keen Racing -- tweeted this morning that her beloved and remarkable stable pony, Wyatt, is quite ill. So please send a few good thoughts and prayers their way today. Wyatt is nearly legendary for being ridden without a bridle.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:19 pm

It took every available gate attendant to load a reluctant Little Swiss Echo into the gate in the 5th at Del Mar...shoving from behind, hauling on her ear. She really didn't want to get in the gate.
She just broke down at the head of the stretch on the turf course.
Makes you wonder if she knew something.
:(
perfectsoul

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm

what was it she was supposed to know? Her imminent demise? I really doubt it.

Per Jay Privman: Awful breakdown of Lil Swiss Echo in race 5. She will undoubtedly be euthanized. Van Dyke, in a spill yesterday, down on turf w/ medics

And..then from Jay Privman....Very grim scene. Tarp up for gravely stricken animal. Van Dyke still down but moving arms and legs. Being placed on backboard.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Little Swiss Echo was euthanized.

As for what she knew? Maybe that she had pain in her leg?
Do animals have survival instincts that sometimes seem hard for humans to explain?
I don't know.
Maybe she fought so hard at the gate that she aggravated a subtle but serious problem.