Waiting for news on ...

baitandswitch

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:58 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
baitandswitch wrote:My Wahoo collapsed after winning R3 at Fairgrounds. DRF Twitter reports waiting for stewards to confirm reports he died.
I wonder what kind of issues they may have been experiencing with My Wahoo? It appears that he had not raced for almost a year until a few weeks ago.
Also noted that he did not finish a race at Churchill (eased and stopped) in 2011, which may mean little here - just a few red flags are popping up...

WarBiscuit
Marcus Hersh ‏@DRFHersh 25m
Stewards confirm that R3 winner My Wahoo had a heart attack & died before returning to be unsaddled. #fairgrounds

Me too, others on Twitter mentioned the same.
baitandswitch

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:01 pm

second_glance wrote:
baitandswitch wrote:My Wahoo collapsed after winning R3 at Fairgrounds. DRF Twitter reports waiting for stewards to confirm reports he died.

Marcus Hersh just confirmed that My Wahoo collapsed and died before being unsaddled. Stewards called it a heart attack, but that's what they call any sudden death on track.
Thanks, saw that too. Posted it in the "Memoriam" thread :(
serenassong

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:55 am

second_glance wrote:HRTV ‏@HRTVinsider 5m
Kelli Got Frosty is vanned off the track following her runner-up finish in race 8 at Aqueduct.

No finding anything on that one yet, but Coronate was released from pain after dumping rider during gallop out, ran loose and apparently hit a fence while trying to clear. R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 am

MTO wrote:Chart for FIT TO RULE's race says he was pulled up and vanned off.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 13USA9.pdf

On vet's list as being unsound 12/21/13
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am

serenassong wrote:
Kelli Got Frosty is vanned off the track following her runner-up finish in race 8 at Aqueduct.

No finding anything on that one yet, but Coronate was released from pain after dumping rider during gallop out, ran loose and apparently hit a fence while trying to clear. R. I. P.
David Cohen took off all his remaining mounts, the first two of which were turned into wins by C.C. Lopez, who, judging by the quality of the mounts he was originally named on, probably had no idea when he showed up for work that Thursday was going to be a particularly good day. Any word on David's condition?
second_glance

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:23 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
serenassong wrote:

David Cohen took off all his remaining mounts, the first two of which were turned into wins by C.C. Lopez, who, judging by the quality of the mounts he was originally named on, probably had no idea when he showed up for work that Thursday was going to be a particularly good day. Any word on David's condition?

HRTV just tweeted that Cohen plans to ride today.
second_glance

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:36 am

Undefeated 'chaser Sprinter Sacre was pulled up after the 7th fence in the G2 Desert Orchid Chase at Kempton. Jockey Barry Geraghty said he was suddenly "empty." He rode him back to the unsaddling area, where a vet exam revealed an irregular heartbeat. Scary.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/d ... um=twitter
Catalina

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Sounds like a high probability that they'll end up retiring Sacre.
second_glance

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Catalina wrote:Sounds like a high probability that they'll end up retiring Sacre.

He has a 10 am (UK time) appointment with the equine cardiologist in GB.
serenassong

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Catalina wrote:Sounds like a high probability that they'll end up retiring Sacre.
More than likely. Same thing happened to the pacing filly/mare See You at Peelers. Never could quite figure out why her heart rate got so weird, they got her seemingly ok and then it happened again- so they retired her. She had a Somebeachsomewhere filly this year.
Catalina

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 am

serenassong wrote:
More than likely. Same thing happened to the pacing filly/mare See You at Peelers. Never could quite figure out why her heart rate got so weird, they got her seemingly ok and then it happened again- so they retired her. She had a Somebeachsomewhere filly this year.
Heart problems in performance horses seem to be largely nonfixable, at least as far as return to previous level of activity is concerned.
second_glance

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:27 am

According to Henderson, this seems to much the same as Denman's issue. He recovered. So there's hope.

"Following initial cardiac examination by Celia Marr, she has confirmed the diagnosis of the racecourse vets and he does have an irregular heartbeat, which is known as atrial fibrillation.

"What she would like to do is wait for a further 48 hours to see is this will stabilise on its own. If not, medicines and technology will come into employment."

Denman is a recent case of a top National Hunt horse recovering from a similar problem.

The 2008 Gold Cup hero had an operation to correct a problem and although he was beaten on his racecourse return, he was capable of finishing second to Kauto Star back at Cheltenham and winning the Hennessy a few months later.

Henderson said: "This is apparently virtually identical to the situation that Denman went through

"In her (Marr's) opinion the reason for these situations is that both horses are supreme athletes and they are more likely to suffer from these problems due to the size of their hearts, which in both cases are unusually large.

"Because of the muscle density around the heart, it can cause this situation."

Information here: http://www.attheraces.com/article.aspx? ... um=twitter
Catalina

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Hoping for the best then.
second_glance

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Mia Missile went down hard in the 6th at AQU. Ambulance out. Not looking good. Jockey got up and walked.
baitandswitch

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm Done - Laurel R3 - Collapsed after finishing last. Was on her feet waiting to be vanned.
second_glance

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:06 pm

second_glance wrote:Mia Missile went down hard in the 6th at AQU. Ambulance out. Not looking good. Jockey got up and walked.
Well, fingers crossed she just got the wind knocked out of her. She's up and standing and will be vanned off. She's a 2yo, making her 2nd start.

Edited to add: Damn. She's very wobbly, fell again.

Edited to add: Double damn. The screen has come out.
Le Beau Bai

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:50 pm

second_glance wrote:
second_glance wrote:Mia Missile went down hard in the 6th at AQU. Ambulance out. Not looking good. Jockey got up and walked.
Well, fingers crossed she just got the wind knocked out of her. She's up and standing and will be vanned off. She's a 2yo, making her 2nd start.

Edited to add: Damn. She's very wobbly, fell again.

Edited to add: Double damn. The screen has come out.
@BklynBckstretch Update from NYRA: In 4th race, 2yo maiden filly Mia Missile broke her right shoulder at about the 1/16th pole & was euthanized on track.
Catalina

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:24 pm

May she RIP, poor girl. Obviously something went wrong, but I can't help but wonder if the late bump sealed her fate. And wonder whether she could have been saved had she been pulled up once she was obviously falling back so fast.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Truest Legend...took the lead in the Daytona at Santa Anita, but was eased as the field entered the stretch. I saw him pass under the wire well after the rest of the horses at a very slow jog. It didn't seem like the jockey would still be letting him move, or still be on the horse, if he were in great distress. Then I heard TVG's Nick Hines say that he 'went wrong' after the wire.
What!? Why was the rider still aboard? Why wasn't the horse pulled up well before the wire?
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Bloodhorse has a note at the bottom of their article on the Daytona that Truest Legend "was vanned off the course after pulling up." DRF has nuthin.' :x