In memoriam 2018

The Doctors Saint

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Wonderful horse gone too soon but truly loved and appreciated by his closest people. He was as lucky to have them as they were to know him; Joey must be heart broken. I was rooting for him to overcome that abscess nightmare back in 2011 and was so happy that he pulled through.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:11 pm

If you want to know how excited Jeff Jeans was to get this horse to Indiana, you just have to scan his Facebook page. So, so sorry for them. RIP I Want Revenge.
https://www.facebook.com/jeff.jeans.9

Jeff Jeans
36 mins ·
RIP I WANT REVENGE. During the Keeneland Sale last week, we had to pull a weanling filly out of the sale due to a virus that she had caught while at the Keeneland sale barn. I was told by the farm manager that several of the babies were affected. When we took possession of "I Want Revenge" and shipped him to Indiana, we were told upon his arrival that he had a 104 fever. The same type of fever our weanling came back from the sale with. Joyce Baker the owner of Indiana Stallion Station called me and told me what was going on and Stacy I let her know to go ahead and get a Vet out right away and start treating him. IV's were started through a catheter. After a few days, he began to respond, the fever dropped and then this afternoon when I called to check on him, Joyce told me we had a set back in that I Want Revenge was struggling with his breathing. The vet was immediately called back out and began a new regimen of treatment. I just received a call from Joyce and was informed that I Want Revenge has passed. He is gone! Stacy and I are so broken hearted. This is a horse who had the heart of a champion, he gave everything he had. He dealt with less than favorable circumstances throughout his racing and breeding career. Stacy and I, along with Ryan Campbell and Joyce Baker were committed to supporting him to ensure his greatness was passed on to his progeny. But it was not to be. Please know, we ALL did everything possible to save this magnificent animal, we loved him the moment he walked out into the sales ring. Our hearts are broken! RIP
Mylute

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Just this morning he made a post urging breeders to consider I Want Revenge, who defeated 20 graded winners.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Catalina

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:05 am

That is just heartbreaking. He was such a stunningly handsome stallion, who always gave his best. I was pleased when Indiana Stallion Station was able to secure him, and was hoping he would get a nice book - and just like that, he is gone. RIP, I Want Revenge.
Northport

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:52 pm

RIP to Sometime Soon and Under Surveillance who both died in the Monksfield Hurdle at Navan today. Sometime Soon had a terrible fall at the 3rd last hurdle and got caught under the legs of the horses behind him. Under Surveillance slipped and broke down after the finish line. Both incidents were truly gruesome and my heart goes out to the connections, especially the grooms. It really was jumps racing at its worse, that's coming from someone who is a fan.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Unbeaten La-bred 2yo Filly Miss Persistent Dead After "Freak Accident"
"The 2-year-old Louisiana-bred filly Miss Persistent had to be euthanized Saturday at Fair Grounds after spooking, falling, and striking her head on concrete while being bathed outside trainer Sam David’s barn.
“It was a freak accident,” said David. “She was getting a bath, slid, hit her head, and wound up having to be put down. She’d galloped great, came back to the barn, was fine when she walked outside, but something startled her. Nobody knows what it was. She was normally a very calm filly.'"
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/46247-unbea ... k-accident
Catalina

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Northport wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:52 pm
RIP to Sometime Soon and Under Surveillance who both died in the Monksfield Hurdle at Navan today. Sometime Soon had a terrible fall at the 3rd last hurdle and got caught under the legs of the horses behind him. Under Surveillance slipped and broke down after the finish line. Both incidents were truly gruesome and my heart goes out to the connections, especially the grooms. It really was jumps racing at its worse, that's coming from someone who is a fan.
Condolences to the grooms.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:19 am

Awful to hear about. RIP Sometime Soon, Under Surveillance, and Miss Persistent.
peeptoad

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:39 pm

RIP I Want Revenge

I was at AQ the day he won the Wood and it's still one of the more impressive performances Ive seen in person.
Catalina

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:51 pm

peeptoad wrote:
RIP I Want Revenge

I was at AQ the day he won the Wood and it's still one of the more impressive performances Ive seen in person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUUdR0fXCNo
peeptoad

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Catalina wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
RIP I Want Revenge

Yep. Spotted the field lengths, split horses and drew off... I was convinced he was the Derby winner that year. Too bad he didn't get the chance to run.
Catalina

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:49 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Catalina wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
RIP I Want Revenge

Yep. Spotted the field lengths, split horses and drew off... I was convinced he was the Derby winner that year. Too bad he didn't get the chance to run.
It was impressive all right. Winning the KD might well have kept him out of the sales barn and away from that virus.
Mylute

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:20 pm

European Champion Sinndar Dies at Age 21

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... at-age-21/

~ Only horse to win the Arc, Epsom Derby, and Irish Derby at age three.
Mylute

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:17 am

Catalina wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
It was impressive all right. Winning the KD might well have kept him out of the sales barn and away from that virus.
I'm not pointing fingers and stuff of course, but how often and when are incoming sale horses screened for viruses? I know it's a little different but I would show chickens when I was younger and we had to get there really early and go to a quarantine area while vets ran through and tested the chickens' saliva and feathers. If they thought you *might* be carrying something you had to leave immediately. Also IIRC you had to have papers proving they were vaccinated in the last year.
Catalina

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am

(Messed up on posting my original answer, alas it now won't let me delete it. Catalina0
Last edited by Catalina on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Catalina

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:49 am

Mylute wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:17 am
Catalina wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

I'm not pointing fingers and stuff of course, but how often and when are incoming sale horses screened for viruses? I know it's a little different but I would show chickens when I was younger and we had to get there really early and go to a quarantine area while vets ran through and tested the chickens' saliva and feathers. If they thought you *might* be carrying something you had to leave immediately. Also IIRC you had to have papers proving they were vaccinated in the last year.
That's the way it ought to be, and maybe it is with horses. But I can also see a newly infected horse not yet triggering a positive test in the early hours of infection.
Psychotic Parakeet

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Star of Goshen, the dam of Pioneerof the Nile, has passed away:

https://twitter.com/ZayatStables/status ... 3mpYoEQTyk
I wanna do bad things with you.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm

J Jerkens Racing @J_JerkensRacing
1h1 hour ago
All of us here at James Jerkens Racing are deeply saddened by the loss of Three Perfections today at Aqueduct. He had been a part of our barn since he was 2 years old and had a friendly laid back personality. He was with us so long that in many ways he was part of the family 1/2

J Jerkens Racing @J_JerkensRacing
He will be missed by every one of us here at Team Jerkens. #RunFree #ThreePerfections 2/2
@edmunddavis5
@DocShirlJ
Katewerk

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Southern Greatness broke down in the stretch at Woodbine (R7) November 30th and was euthanized.
WarBiscuit

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 pm

5yo g Bird of Trey (Birdstone - Take Me Home Too, by Came Home), winner of the 2015 Pennsylvania Nursery Stakes, was injured in Race 2 today (12/2) at Parx and was euthanized. He also ran in the 2016 Jerome and Southwest Stakes before ultimately descending into the claiming ranks.

31 - 3-3-6, $232,472. Rest easy, Rest well...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken