In Memoriam 2019

MeaghanEdwards

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

How awful -- so young :( Reminds me of the story of the horse in the 1930s that returned to the track and broke down., his name escapes me.

Jeremy Balan

Verified account

@BH_JBalan
Follow Follow @BH_JBalan
More
Hearing a horse just broke down at Santa Anita from multiple sources. Game Winner and Instagrand still yet to work this set. Galilean and Improbable worked earlier. On daddy duty today, so not on site, but will work to update ASAP.

9:59 AM - 25 Feb 2019
https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan/status/11 ... 2762301440
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:51 pm

Fourth Equine Fatality in Four Days at Santa Anita
A 3-year-old gelding suffered a catastrophic injury during training at Santa Anita Monday and was euthanized, adding to three deaths at the Arcadia oval Friday and Saturday, according to Daily Racing Form. Santa Anita announced Sunday its main track would be closed for training Tuesday as officials conduct an examination of the racing surface in response to an increase in equine fatalities from last year to the current meeting.

Charmer John (He’s Top) broke down soon after turning into the stretch during a work shortly after the track’s 7:30 renovation break Monday, DRF’s Jay Privman reported. The once-raced gelding was taken by horse ambulance back to the barn of trainer Mark Glatt, but was euthanized shortly after.

This story will be updated throughout the day.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/fo ... anta-anita

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
5m5 minutes ago
The CHRB has confirmed the horse who broke down and was euthanized today at Santa Anita was Charmer John, a Washington-bred 3-year-old gelding who made his racing debut Feb. 14.
Catalina

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:27 pm

And so, if they close the dirt track for a day (or even for two days, as originally planned), will that give them enough insight as to how to fix the problem? I assume that any fix then will take additional time to implement?
Curtis

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Catalina wrote:
And so, if they close the dirt track for a day (or even for two days, as originally planned), will that give them enough insight as to how to fix the problem? I assume that any fix then will take additional time to implement?
I believe what needs to be done is dig deep into the track and break up the packed down clay. I suspect, multiple sealings of the track has lead to a condition as to where the clay is very dense and hard underneath sand. The only real cushion is that sand and the clay is acting like concrete. When I was an undergrad, I took a few sculpture classes. We had a choice of using either Long Beach Clay or Pomona Clay. In theory, the main difference was the color but we always would notice that when it dried, the LB Clay was always more crumbly while the Pomona Clay is denser. For what it’s worth, Arcadia is closer to Pomona than Long Beach.
Gemini

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 am

MeaghanEdwards wrote:
How awful -- so young :( Reminds me of the story of the horse in the 1930s that returned to the track and broke down., his name escapes me.
You might be thinking of Black Gold?
Catalina

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am

Curtis wrote:
Catalina wrote:
I believe what needs to be done is dig deep into the track and break up the packed down clay. I suspect, multiple sealings of the track has lead to a condition as to where the clay is very dense and hard underneath sand. The only real cushion is that sand and the clay is acting like concrete. When I was an undergrad, I took a few sculpture classes. We had a choice of using either Long Beach Clay or Pomona Clay. In theory, the main difference was the color but we always would notice that when it dried, the LB Clay was always more crumbly while the Pomona Clay is denser. For what it’s worth, Arcadia is closer to Pomona than Long Beach.
Sounds like a major overhaul, in terms of time as well as work scope. I wish they would do it, but, realistically speaking? Though if they want Santa Anita open year round, shutting down for such a project would be unavoidable sooner or later - and as such presumably already be in the plans.
Curtis

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:24 pm

Catalina wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am
Curtis wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Sounds like a major overhaul, in terms of time as well as work scope. I wish they would do it, but, realistically speaking? Though if they want Santa Anita open year round, shutting down for such a project would be unavoidable sooner or later - and as such presumably already be in the plans.
Really unless the philosophy of how the track is to be maintained long term is overhauled, any of this is just a band aid. Before the time when tracks were sealed, they would go from sloppy to slow to heavy and would sit in that slow to heavy range until the sun reimerged. Then eventually the track would go to good and then finally fast. This could take a couple of weeks and only if the second week had dry weather. The irony is, west coast tracks have a higher clay content and less sand so they don’t need as much water. Those slow and heavy tracks produced a lot of 4-6 horse fields then. I don’t know what you’d get now? The tracks are maintained the way they are because most of the horsemen want to get back to fast ASAP. Mandella did send one, if not more, out yesterday. I can see outrage over Baffert and Dorf, fair or not I guess, but if Papa M approves I’ll bite my tongue
MeaghanEdwards

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Gemini wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 am
MeaghanEdwards wrote:
You might be thinking of Black Gold?
Yes, Black Gold -- a bit before the 1930s but I suppose I wasn't too far off. Almost sterile, the only colt he sired was killed by lightning strike :( He was so loved that when he had to be euthanized due to a broken leg, they closed school so the children could attend his funeral.

Hopefully they can find answers re: Santa Anita soon.
Northport

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:08 am

Godolphin's very talented and incredibly promising multiple group winning stayer Brundtland broke down in his 4 year old debut in the Nad Al Sheba Trophy at Meydan yesterday. This one stings. RIP.
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 am

Northport wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:08 am
Godolphin's very talented and incredibly promising multiple group winning stayer Brundtland broke down in his 4 year old debut in the Nad Al Sheba Trophy at Meydan yesterday. This one stings. RIP.
Oh no, I didn't hear this. It sure does sting. They were so high on him this year. Hoping he'd be their Arc horse. Rest well, Brundtland.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:10 pm

This is very concerning.

Santa Anita: Eskenforadrink suffers fatal injury in third race
Eskenforadrink, the even-money favorite, was euthanized after suffering a severe leg injury while leading a one-mile race for $16,00 claimers in Saturday's third race, according to track stewards.

Eskenforadrink was taken to the stables for evaluation, but could not be saved, stewards said.

The injury occurred on a day in which the track is listed as sloppy and sealed after extensive morning rain.

Eskenforadrink was nearing the turn when she was stricken and quickly brought to a halt by jockey Geovanni Franco. The incident did not affect the other five runners.
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47210-santa ... third-race
Catalina

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
This is very concerning.

Eskenforadrink, the even-money favorite, was euthanized after suffering a severe leg injury while leading a one-mile race for $16,00 claimers in Saturday's third race, according to track stewards.

Eskenforadrink was taken to the stables for evaluation, but could not be saved, stewards said.

The injury occurred on a day in which the track is listed as sloppy and sealed after extensive morning rain.

Eskenforadrink was nearing the turn when she was stricken and quickly brought to a halt by jockey Geovanni Franco. The incident did not affect the other five runners.
DRF at least mentioned it. Blood Horse and Paulick Report seem to be caught up in "nothing to be seen here, just move on."

RIP, Eskenforadrink.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Catalina wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
This is very concerning.

DRF at least mentioned it. Blood Horse and Paulick Report seem to be caught up in "nothing to be seen here, just move on."

RIP, Eskenforadrink.
Jeremy stayed on top of it, but I haven't seen an article yet. He's not one to shy away from this kind of stuff.

Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
1h1 hour ago
Big-time correction here, as I got my wires crossed and put out the wrong number. Eskenforadrink was the 20th fatality related to racing or training at Santa Anita since Dec. 26. Obviously not a mistake I want to make. The previous tweet with incorrect number has been deleted.
Dusty

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
This is very concerning.

RIP, Eskenforadrink.
Jeremy stayed on top of it, but I haven't seen an article yet. He's not one to shy away from this kind of stuff.

1h1 hour ago
Big-time correction here, as I got my wires crossed and put out the wrong number. Eskenforadrink was the 20th fatality related to racing or training at Santa Anita since Dec. 26. Obviously not a mistake I want to make. The previous tweet with incorrect number has been deleted.
Oh My God = they sealed the DAMN track = now I hope they rip it BEFORE another fatality - Rest well Eskenforadrink condolences to connections
May they run with the WIND
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 pm

I posted Jeremy's article in the Racing section...

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... nita-meet
Catalina

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Yes, I saw it.
Catalina

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:15 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:

1h1 hour ago
Blood Horse now also has an article on it.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... anita-meet
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Jeremy's article:

Lets Light the Way 21st Equine Fatality at Santa Anita
Lets Light the Way was euthanized after she sustained a catastrophic injury March 5 during training on the Santa Anita Park main track.

The 4-year-old Dunkirk filly trained by Hall of Famer Ron McAnally is the 21st equine fatality related to racing or training at Santa Anita since its meet opened Dec. 26. The filly was owned by McAnally's wife Deborah McAnally and had a win from four starts since she began her racing career in November of 2017. On the main track Tuesday, 169 horses logged timed workouts.

McAnally said after morning training he feels the abnormally high amount of rain that has hit Southern California this winter is at the root of the rise in equine fatalities at the Arcadia,Calif., track.

"My opinion is the problem is with the bad weather," McAnally said. "You can see on the news—some of the ground is separating and houses are falling off cliffs, almost like an earthquake.

"Weather is the cause of all of this. I loved that filly. I bought her at the sale—liked the way she walked. I feel as bad as anybody, but that's the first I had (this meet). I wanted to cry when we had to put her down."

Multiple graded winner Vyjack was also vanned off the main track during training Tuesday, but is doing relatively well, according to trainer Phil D'Amato.

"He took a couple of funny steps right before being fully stopped," D'Amato said. "Out of an abundance of precaution the rider jumped off. (Vyjack) was taken back to the barn (and) he sprung his shoe in the process. We took the shoe off and are soaking the foot. He'll be evaluated in the days to come, but is very comfortable."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... anta-anita
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:30 pm

I tuned in to TVG specifically to watch her run today. This just breaks my heart, such a fabulously consistent girl. Rest well, darling.

John G. Dooley @JohnGDooley
8m8 minutes ago
Replying to @fairgroundsnola @flothejock and 9 others
And thoughts going out to the connections of Oxford Comma fatally injured in the Mardi Gras Stakes. Hoping for some positive news post races regarding @BridgmohanShaun

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T
TapitsGal

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Coraline yesterday...my friends unraced two year old filly of a suspected cardiac event