Honestly Honey

Post Reply
firehorse
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 pm

In a search for her daughter, Late Nite Laura, was a little distressed to find her listed in thoroughbred sale at age 23. Looking further I found she, and numerous other horses sold for $500 to Kory Pierson in October last year at Heritage Sales. The only thing I find when searching Kory Pierson is that he is associated with a kill buyer - does anyone know if this is true? If so, what a sad end - I don't know how the consignors, Heritage Sales and so many in this industry look themselves in the mirror in the morning.
TapitsGal
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:39 am

Heritage Sale is a kill sale sadly
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3059
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 am

I don't have any updates on the mare you are looking for. But I was shocked to see Wend in the same auction.
FlyToTheStars
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Wend?! I had to look her up and it says repurchase. I hope she is okay!
firehorse
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:39 am
Heritage Sale is a kill sale sadly
I feel horribly naive, I had no idea there was a sale where farms openly dumped broodmares without a reserve knowing they would be at risk for slaughter. Kory Pierson was the top buyer at the sale, buying 16 horses, $500 each - 14 of them broodmares (in addition to a yearling and a 2 year old).

Here is the list of horses that went to Kory Pierson should anyone recognize any of the other names:

I'm Missin You, C 2017 (Awesome Patriot - Aly Performer, by Alyone)
Consignor - Ellen Caines, agent

Scottish Luck, M 2007 (Leestown - Scottish Heritage, by Bayou Hebert)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Jadah Jane Myles  M 2005 (Zarbyev - Mommadon'tknow, by Pancho Villa)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Smart and Sweet  M 2006 (Zarbyev - Woodend, by Woodman)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Smok'em Over M 2006 (Smoke Glacken - Queen of Women, by Sharpen Up (GB) )
Consignor - Rusty Roberts

Honestly Honey  M 1995 (Irish Open - Don't Honey Me, by Triple Bend)
Consignor - Reliance Ranches 

Runnin Betty Rose  M 2013 (Menhal - Nex Onecomin, by Hadif )
Consignor - Matt Edwards 

Charissa  M 2011 (Corinthian - Ice Carnival, by Two Punch )
Consignor - Matt Edwards

Spam It  C 2016 (Ellerton - Half Pleasant, by Half Ours)
Consignor - Ellen Caines, agent

Zarb's Symphony  M 2003 (Zarbyev - Denali Music, by Stop the Music)
Consignor - New Castle Farm 

Wildcat Gypsy  M 2007 (Wildcat Shoes - Gypsy Star, by Shifty Sheik)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Lavender Gem  M 2006 (Harlan's Holiday - Lavender Sea, by Woodman)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Moves Last Sunset M 2004 (Sahm - Move Closer, by Plugged Nickel)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Juliard  M 2000 (Dixieland Band - Promised Trial, by Bailjumper)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Holiday Peace M 2009 (Harlan's Holiday - Stilled, by Quiet American)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster 

Moon Stone Madness  M 2007 (Grand Slam - Duchess Zea, by Ascot Knight)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3059
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 am

firehorse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 pm
Lavender Gem  M 2006 (Harlan's Holiday - Lavender Sea, by Woodman)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Moves Last Sunset M 2004 (Sahm - Move Closer, by Plugged Nickel)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster
These 2 had foals this year, one in Oklahoma and the other in Kansas. So maybe that gives hope to some of the others? Not many on the list were bred.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3059
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:00 am

FlyToTheStars wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Wend?! I had to look her up and it says repurchase. I hope she is okay!
Yeah and I thought that too but if she was a RNA at $600 is she safe?
Ziggypop
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:09 am

firehorse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 pm
TapitsGal wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:39 am
Heritage Sale is a kill sale sadly
I feel horribly naive, I had no idea there was a sale where farms openly dumped broodmares without a reserve knowing they would be at risk for slaughter. Kory Pierson was the top buyer at the sale, buying 16 horses, $500 each - 14 of them broodmares (in addition to a yearling and a 2 year old).

Here is the list of horses that went to Kory Pierson should anyone recognize any of the other names:

I'm Missin You, C 2017 (Awesome Patriot - Aly Performer, by Alyone)
Consignor - Ellen Caines, agent

Scottish Luck, M 2007 (Leestown - Scottish Heritage, by Bayou Hebert)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Jadah Jane Myles  M 2005 (Zarbyev - Mommadon'tknow, by Pancho Villa)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Smart and Sweet  M 2006 (Zarbyev - Woodend, by Woodman)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Smok'em Over M 2006 (Smoke Glacken - Queen of Women, by Sharpen Up (GB) )
Consignor - Rusty Roberts

Honestly Honey  M 1995 (Irish Open - Don't Honey Me, by Triple Bend)
Consignor - Reliance Ranches 

Runnin Betty Rose  M 2013 (Menhal - Nex Onecomin, by Hadif )
Consignor - Matt Edwards 

Charissa  M 2011 (Corinthian - Ice Carnival, by Two Punch )
Consignor - Matt Edwards

Spam It  C 2016 (Ellerton - Half Pleasant, by Half Ours)
Consignor - Ellen Caines, agent

Zarb's Symphony  M 2003 (Zarbyev - Denali Music, by Stop the Music)
Consignor - New Castle Farm 

Wildcat Gypsy  M 2007 (Wildcat Shoes - Gypsy Star, by Shifty Sheik)
Consignor - New Castle Farm

Lavender Gem  M 2006 (Harlan's Holiday - Lavender Sea, by Woodman)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Moves Last Sunset M 2004 (Sahm - Move Closer, by Plugged Nickel)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Juliard  M 2000 (Dixieland Band - Promised Trial, by Bailjumper)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Holiday Peace M 2009 (Harlan's Holiday - Stilled, by Quiet American)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster 

Moon Stone Madness  M 2007 (Grand Slam - Duchess Zea, by Ascot Knight)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster
This is disgusting. Time the breeders are held responsible for their nasty deeds.
User avatar
Private Thoughts
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Kentucky

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Call me uninformed but who is WEND?
stark
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:14 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm
Call me uninformed but who is WEND?
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... y=T&rbt=TB
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
firehorse
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 am

Flanders wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 am
firehorse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 pm
Lavender Gem  M 2006 (Harlan's Holiday - Lavender Sea, by Woodman)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster

Moves Last Sunset M 2004 (Sahm - Move Closer, by Plugged Nickel)
Consignor - Clark O. Brewster
These 2 had foals this year, one in Oklahoma and the other in Kansas. So maybe that gives hope to some of the others? Not many on the list were bred.
Thank you or this info - it does give some hope for some on the list. I'm not familiar enough to know if maybe those who saw such a low price offered a kill buyer a profit or whether to assume there is any hope for a 23 year old mare. I am glad Wend's owners had the decency to put a reserve on her - I hope they and her are high enough profile that they would not accept a kill buyers offer after the fact. I attended an OBS Sales several years ago and have regretted not putting in a bid for Late Nite Laura ever since. It would have been my first TB purchase for racing - my intention was to try it and if it did not work out she would be my riding horse. She had a presence, coloring and conformation that reminded me of my own aging OTTB, a top shelf hunter/jumper, who recently passed away at 28 - they had a common ancestor in Irish Tower. There were several horses I had considered that day and I put them in a virtual stable to see how good my instincts were and to track 'what might have been'. I also regiserted with the Jockey Club Thoroughbred Connect for Late Nite Laura and another horse at the sale in the event that they should ever need a home - but have no idea if owners actually check this system before offloading a horse (I understand that an owner may want to make a sale for profit vs. giving them to someone else for retirement, but would hope they would want to provide a home vs. earning $500 from a kill buyer if those were the only options).
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3059
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:10 am

I want to believe that $500 is too much for them to be worth shipping to slaughter.
Catalina
Posts: 3603
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:10 am
I want to believe that $500 is too much for them to be worth shipping to slaughter.
<sigh...> 15 or 20 years ago, probably. Nowadays? There's far too many horses that sell for $600 at these auctions for that to be the case.
Post Reply