In Memoriam 2014

serenassong

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:23 pm

R.I.P to Kiri's Clown and A. P. Slew
Like to think Awad and Kiri's Clown are continuing their races together.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
roxyllsk

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:24 am

I'm actually surprised they did colic surgery on a 25 year old - it's risky on a much younger horse, even more risky on one that age.

RIP old boy.
Sunline

Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:19 am

O'Reilly (NZ) passed away peacefully in his paddock at Waikato Stud,New Zealand.He was 21.
Sunline (1995-2009)- Queen of the Turf/ Mare of the World.
BlindLucky

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:44 pm

Soldier Inthe Rain (War Pass x Where Woody Bea) fractured a cannon bone and was euthanized at Belmont this morning.

Looking at his pedigree, his third dam was De La Rose, who I even remember from childhood. She was Champion Turf Filly in 1981 as a 3 yr old, when she was also 2nd in the KY Oaks and won a ton of stakes.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Catalina

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:26 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Soldier Inthe Rain (War Pass x Where Woody Bea) fractured a cannon bone and was euthanized at Belmont this morning.

Looking at his pedigree, his third dam was De La Rose, who I even remember from childhood. She was Champion Turf Filly in 1981 as a 3 yr old, when she was also 2nd in the KY Oaks and won a ton of stakes.
\
RIP, poor boy.
Mintano

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Celebrate We Will on the 26th at AQU and Wicked Irish the 27th at AQU. Both were racing fatalities.
WarBiscuit

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:18 pm

Mintano wrote:Celebrate We Will on the 26th at AQU and Wicked Irish the 27th at AQU. Both were racing fatalities.
Wicked Irish had not raced in two years. Chart: "Reluctant to load prior to start, stumbled at the start, grew detached early on, broke down..."

You don't suppose that he was trying to say something, do you? No new year for this young ridgling.

RIP to all we have lost in 2014. The pageant has passed...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BlindLucky

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:40 pm

NYRA just instituted a new rule in response to the death of Wicked Irish, requiring a certain number of published works prior to a start off a long layoff (I posted the article in the Racing forum). He was coming back off a 2 year layoff with ONE workout.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Catalina

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:23 am

WarBiscuit wrote:
Mintano wrote:Celebrate We Will on the 26th at AQU and Wicked Irish the 27th at AQU. Both were racing fatalities.
Wicked Irish had not raced in two years. Chart: "Reluctant to load prior to start, stumbled at the start, grew detached early on, broke down..."

You don't suppose that he was trying to say something, do you? No new year for this young ridgling.

RIP to all we have lost in 2014. The pageant has passed...

WarBiscuit
RIP Wicked Irish, you deserved so much better.
Catalina

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:30 am

BlindLucky wrote:NYRA just instituted a new rule in response to the death of Wicked Irish, requiring a certain number of published works prior to a start off a long layoff (I posted the article in the Racing forum). He was coming back off a 2 year layoff with ONE workout.
Any trainer worth their salt shouldn't have to be told that. They should already know, and should care enough for their horses not to throw them under the truck like that.
tachyon

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:19 am

Sunline wrote:O'Reilly (NZ) passed away peacefully in his paddock at Waikato Stud,New Zealand.He was 21.
R.I.P. O'Reilly, champion stallion 'movie star'

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/sport/6 ... found-dead

His champion daughters Final Destination(NZ) and Shamrocker(NZ) were introduced to Japan by Yoshida family.
Final Destination died in 2009, after having produced her graded winning colt Final Form.
Final Form(JPN)(by Deep Impact) has been retired from racing due to respiratory problems last year.
He is now enjoying his new career as a riding horse at Momose Riding Farm in Hokkaido.

-- Final Form at Momose Riding Farm (picks from uma-furusato.com)
http://uma-furusato.com/column/detail/_id_78742

-- Shamrocker at Northern Farm (pick from netkeiba.com)
http://db.sp.netkeiba.com/?pid=horse_ph ... 1216b&no=1
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:52 pm

The day Soldier Inthe Rain lost his life was a bad day at the track for lots of people.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... t-belmont/
:(
dustino140

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Catalina wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:NYRA just instituted a new rule in response to the death of Wicked Irish, requiring a certain number of published works prior to a start off a long layoff (I posted the article in the Racing forum). He was coming back off a 2 year layoff with ONE workout.
Any trainer worth their salt shouldn't have to be told that. They should already know, and should care enough for their horses not to throw them under the truck like that.
I'm sure I'll take heat from someone, but the trainer is a joke. He's won 9 races from 542 starters and had years where he went 0 for 68 and 0 for 66. Give it up and don't make the animals pay for it.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:34 pm

No heat from me. And I've found other similar trainers while going through charts for Project Breakdown. Why oh why??? It's not like it's a money-making thing for them.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:21 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:No heat from me. And I've found other similar trainers while going through charts for Project Breakdown. Why oh why??? It's not like it's a money-making thing for them.
There was a guy named Bill Radford who owned and trained horses for many years in New England, from the days of Scarborough Downs and Green Mountain right through the dying years of the Massachusetts fair circuit. He bred most of them, and hardly any of them could run a lick. I got the impression he was doing it just because he was an eccentric old fellow who liked horses and being around racetrackers.

But others might be in the business for the inside info they can get -- and put to profitable use -- by being on the backstretch every day. I used to see Carlos (King of the Fairs) Figueroa strutting to and from the windows up at Rockingham all the time while he was in a deep, deep slump as a trainer. Maybe the late Wicked Irish's trainer is the same sort of character.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:33 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:No heat from me. And I've found other similar trainers while going through charts for Project Breakdown. Why oh why??? It's not like it's a money-making thing for them.
There was a guy named Bill Radford who owned and trained horses for many years in New England, from the days of Scarborough Downs and Green Mountain right through the dying years of the Massachusetts fair circuit. He bred most of them, and hardly any of them could run a lick. I got the impression he was doing it just because he was an eccentric old fellow who liked horses and being around racetrackers.

But others might be in the business for the inside info they can get -- and put to profitable use -- by being on the backstretch every day. I used to see Carlos (King of the Fairs) Figueroa strutting to and from the windows up at Rockingham all the time while he was in a deep, deep slump as a trainer. Maybe the late Wicked Irish's trainer is the same sort of character.
Yeah, I think you are right on here. Many of them do also own the horses they train, and have for most of their starts. Those horses seem to try to take care of themselves by not running very hard or fast. The others may not fare so well. Not sure how Wicked Irish came to this trainer, but this was his first start for him after the two year layoff.
Catalina

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Same owner throughout, I think (it's been 1_ day since I looked at it). Prior to his 2-year lay-up, Wicked Irish was trained by John Toscano, Jr. Then he comes back two years later with trainer Peter Chin.
Flanders

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Catalina wrote:Same owner throughout, I think (it's been 1_ day since I looked at it). Prior to his 2-year lay-up, Wicked Irish was trained by John Toscano, Jr. Then he comes back two years later with trainer Peter Chin.
Its possible the one trainer refused to work with the horse. Or the trainer and owner had a falling out.
Catalina

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Flanders wrote:
Catalina wrote:Same owner throughout, I think (it's been 1_ day since I looked at it). Prior to his 2-year lay-up, Wicked Irish was trained by John Toscano, Jr. Then he comes back two years later with trainer Peter Chin.
Its possible the one trainer refused to work with the horse. Or the trainer and owner had a falling out.
Or Toscano didn't think the horse should race any more, and the owners found somebody with a more accommodating conscience.
mariasmon

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:59 pm

My White Corvette (dam of Stardom Bound) died in 2014.