Run?

Starine

Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Since my team is on a two-month winter break (ending in January) I've been running more supplemented with some weightlifting once or twice a week.

I've actually felt that running more often lately has decreased my enjoyment of it, or maybe it's just that it's winter so that everything is brown and grey, cold and wet and ugly. Whenever it's warm, green and sunny I can't wait to get outside, but lately I've really had to drag myself out there (although having the dog as a running partner helps).

Anyway, once I select a new gym I'd really like to get back to roller derby three times a week, weightlifting twice and running maybe three times a week max. I think I'm happiest and most eager when I'm cross training and things are fresh and varied.
Spahny

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am

Kilian Jornet was unable to complete the Everest attempt this summer.

So here is how he relaxes in the winter season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eVBrMcflDE
Spahny

Tue May 09, 2017 9:41 pm

I understand that very few people will choose to sit through this.

Gary Robbins has now failed two years in a row to finish The Barkley. What is The Barkley? See the Net Flix documentary. Barkley: The Race That Eats It's Young. In 30 years only 16 men have completed all 5 loops. No woman has ever finished the race. In 2017 Gary Robbins failed for the second year in a row when he made a wrong decision and went off course on the 5th and final loop with only 2.5 miles to the finish line. He is dis-qualified for going off course but he also got to the finish line 6 seconds over the cutoff time. It's believed by the race organizers that he ran 3 miles further by going off course, so if he had stayed on course he would have made to the finish under the cutoff and become one of the few to finish the race. It was heart breaking. The first video link is a short news segment of his finish. The second link is an hour interview about the experience... For anyone interested on what a guy like this is made of. Hint; He's your neighbor and best friend.

He will be back to Tennessee to try again. Most likely next year. Very few people will know of it. So I will spread the word a little here. Gary Robbins is a grunt of the highest order. He plays a game with which very few are familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbt-yLdWao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phN7VUHQLe4
Starine

Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 pm

I saw that documentary!

By the way, Spahny, have you ever participated in a ride & tie?
Spahny

Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Starine wrote:I saw that documentary!

By the way, Spahny, have you ever participated in a ride & tie?
No but I've heard of it. And at this point the only way I would get 100 miles would be on the back of a horse.

I forgot to mention in the original post that John Kelly did become the 15th liftetime finisher of the Barkley in 2017. I believe it was his second attempt. For some reason most of the world was focused on Gary Robbins failure to complete the course. But since The Barkley is about failure (if it is about anything at all) then that is understandable.
Spahny

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Hardrock 100 run in the San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado. Only 145 spots and 2500 applicants in last year's lottery to get in. Some people try for years to get in and run it. Hardrock is one of the most popular trail races in the world.

This is Go Pro coverage of primarily the first half of the race and the run into Ouray going the counter clockwise direction. Jamil Coury filming has been referred to as the Jackass of ultra running. Spectacular course with an average altitude of 11,000 feet above sea level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvjd9sEVv-k&t=1468s
Spahny

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Same guy at Barkley.

No finishers this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc
Spahny

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Frank Meza.

1. His splits at L.A. Marathon were consistent and he never ran a world record 5k split. Those reports are just wrong. His fastest recorded split was 19:47. That is 15 seconds faster than his second fastest 5k split. World age group record (70-74) is 18:01 by Warren Utes in 1990. Those would be the facts.

2. The video of him re-entering the course is proof of a violation of the rule that states that if you leave the race course for any reason you must re-enter at the spot you left. He didn't do that. It's reason for a dq. But it is not proof by itself that he cut the course here. A bathroom break at the McDonalds on the corner of Highland and Hollywood Blvd is another possible explanation.

3. The famous video is indeed taken on Hollywood Blvd at the Highland intersection. There's an obvious landmark in the background of the video; The Stella Adler Acting Academy building. At this location of the course another mode of transportation would be necessary for Dr. Meza to cut the course on Hollywood Blvd and return back to the course where he does, still on Hollywood Blvd. He would be traveling further than if he just stayed on the course. It's easy to go to the L.A. Marathon site and look at the course to verify what I am saying.

4.Speculation that he used a bike is just that. It's not a known fact. And he is about 3/4's of a mile to the next chip reader that he must run through at mile 12.4. Does he turn around from there and run back to retrieve the bike and use it again for the next segment? What course does he take? He obviously can't just run back on the course. Does he have more than one bike placed strategically along the course? Who put them out there and when? Does he have an accomplice? Did he use an Uber driver to pick him up and drop him off? Did space aliens transport along the course? Can he time travel or fly?

5. I don't think he cut the course on Hollywood Blvd section but that is not proof he didn't cut the course on other sections.

6. There are 2 runners directly in front of Dr. Meza on the famous Hollywood Blvd video. I identified them. One Greek male in really questionable red speedo shorts and one female runner who paced off of Mr. Red Shorts all the way to the 35k reader. Red Shorts left her there and ran 2:49. She ran 2:52. They were motoring and were outpacing Dr. Meza 45-50 seconds per 5k split for 20k after seeing them all in the video. In comparing the runner splits there is nothing to suggest cheating by Dr. Meza. However if someone has a photo or video footage of Red Shorts and friend at miles 15, 18 or 21 it might be interesting to look and see if Dr. Meza is closer to them than what the timers are showing. Because if he was cutting the course he would have to be sure not to run through the timers in too fast a split. He might possibly have used these two runners to jump in behind when returning to the course with maybe something less than a mile to the chip timers. He would then slow down and check his watch for the proper believable split time. He could be using them as benchmarks I guess. So if Dr. Meza was only 15 seconds behind Mr Red Shorts at mile 21 but then he clocks in more than 3 minutes behind him at the 35k (21.75miles) then the only explanation for that would be course cutting. Whew, I hope that made some sense. If he's cutting the course and beating the timer system then some kind of video evidence would pick it up this way. At some point he is ahead of his normal pace schedule especially if he is riding a bike. There are a lot of cameras out there. And Red Shorts has a lot pictures on the L.A. Marathon site but only one with Dr. Meza in the frame and that's the HB section.

Trying to be brief and failing but I have a lot more, believe me. I've spent way more time than I thought I would. It started for me with the false report of the world record split. How do you make an innocent mistake with that? If you know what the world record was in the first place? And you certainly should before publishing such a thing.

Summary thoughts but no real conclusion:

L.A. Marathon has chip readers every 5k. 8 total along the course. To try and beat that system I would think a person would have to have more pride in their ability to cheat than in their ability to run far. A really dedicated cheater. Dr. Meza doesn't really seem to fit the description.

The opinions on Dr. Meza seem to fall into two clear demographics. People that think he cheated have never met him. People that have known him for decades can't believe he did it.

He might have cheated. I looked at his 2014 Long Beach Marathon and that race has far fewer chip timers. I found a much more questionable late split by Dr. Mesa than anything he did at L.A.. But it's not sure thing.

I'm just not sure but it makes to sick to think of the possibility that he didn't cheat and got attacked by internet mobs and mainstream media just uncritically repeats the lies without checking, per usual.. If I absolutely had to give a yes or no to it I would have to say no. Frank Meza did not cheat. And look at what happened.

So some guy in Cinncy grants himself the authority to do this. He is called marathon investigations therefor he is qualified. He has anonymous supporters sending him very convenient photos of Dr. Meza brazenly riding a bike directly alongside the SF Marathon course he is supposed to be running on. What luck!!! Or hold on, maybe we should have someone just take look at the photo. Just for the hell of it.

Internet mobs and self appointed Deputies of truth and justice.

Who watches the watchers?