BaroqueAgain?????

Catalina

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm
Catalina wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:55 am
Most likely Woolsey, or just possibly Hill (she did mention two fires in her last post). And yes, she
'probably has her hands full with more urgent stuff.

Logically speaking, I know that.
Yeah, it's possible she lives in Ventura County rather than LA County. There are fewer destroyed properties there. That process and timeline is similar to LA County recovery efforts. 200 of 249 properties affected by the Ventura County Woolsey and Hill fires have had Household Hazardous Waste assessments (Phase 1).

http://venturacountyrecovers.org/
https://maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappview ... fb26b86b96

Thanks, SC.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:29 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm
My friend/colleague whose house is still standing in Paradise *just* got notice that they can return & check things out. Hopefully BA is somewhere safe & warm with her critters & most important possessions and will be able to return to her home soon too - please let it be intact and habitable. *crosses everything*
That's good to hear. It must seem like a very slow process to those affected, but these are necessary steps to protect people and intact properties. Just reminds us that because these and other disasters fade quickly from the headlines, it doesn't mean people aren't still struggling to get back to some kind of normal. I sure hope for that too, lurkey,. May God bless these folks who's lives are upside down this holiday season and into the new year.
Catalina

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Amen on that.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 pm

BaroqueAgain is okay! She has her PC up and running now and will be back! :D

She wrote me some more, but I'll leave it to her to write about what happened. :) I'm sooo happy she is okay considering the circumstances.
Catalina

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Kurenai wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 pm
BaroqueAgain is okay! She has her PC up and running now and will be back! :D

She wrote me some more, but I'll leave it to her to write about what happened. :) I'm sooo happy she is okay considering the circumstances.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! That is such a relief!!!!
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Yayyyyyyyyy!!!!! And thank goodness!!!!!! \o/\o/\o/
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I'm back.
Thank you all for worrying about me. This forum is special because of folks like you who post here.
Unfortunately, I did lose my home in the Woolsey Fire. When I knew that damn fire was likely to jump the 101, I also knew it was going to rage through 40 years of unburned chaparral on its way to the ocean...right through my community.
I had started packing in the afternoon, and stuffed my little Honda to the roof. Even before I got that Mandatory Evacuation call (thanks to having a land line), I was knocking on my neighbors' doors and telling them they should grab their pets and stuff and go. Left about 3 AM.
Some residents didn't leave until after dawn....when homes starting burning around them. :(
From the safety of Whizin's parking lot in Agoura, I watched dawn's early light color the most horribly beautiful, huge, boiling mushroom cloud of smoke billowing west, as my hills and canyons burned down to the rock. Within an hour or so, my home (and 100 of my neighbors') added to that towering column of smoke and ash.

I have a place to stay, so I'm OK. Of course, my days are filled with paperwork and red tape, so.... :roll:
...well, this is the Vent thread. I'm gonna have some additions in the months to come. :P
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Oh so good to hear from you, BaroqueAgain!!! Sorry you lost your home, but most important you are safe and have your most prized possessions! Very smart of you to be ready to flee at a moment's notice, but we already knew you are smart that way! Ugh about red tape and paperwork. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you from afar. (((Hugs, hugs, hugs)))
Tessablue

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:49 pm

What a wonderful relief it is to hear from you, BA. I'm so sorry to hear that your home was lost in the fire, but I'm in awe of the fact that you had the presence of mind to not only get yourself and your pets out, but to alert your neighbors as well. You very well may have saved some lives that night. I can't imagine what you are going through right now, but please do know that there are many people here who are willing to help with whatever you need, regardless of the distance between us.

Wishing you all of the best, now and in the future.
stark

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm

While you've got a long road ahead of you and plenty o' tears behind you, thoughts and prayers do indeed work, very good to hear from you.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 pm

So glad to hear you and the cats made it out of that inferno OK. If there is anything we can do from afar to help you, do let us know. PM, if that seems best.
WarBiscuit

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:39 am

So very relieved to hear from you and that you are safe. I can only imagine the tremendous stress and strain of your ordeal. May the passage of time help to get life back in order, and may that road ahead be one of great calm...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
lurkey mclurker

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 am

Sooooo relieved that you and your kitties are okay, we were so worried!!! And please, anything we can do to help while you deal with the red tape, we want to be there for you!! Do you need anything, can we send you anything, how can we help? It's wonderful that you have somewhere to stay for the time being... but so very very sorry that you had to watch as your home and neighbors' homes were lost.
: (((((
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your kind words and thoughts, but....
I'm afraid that I'm the one who has to fill out all the pages of lost contents and the applications for lost papers like birth certificate and passport.
Had my important documents in a supposedly-fireproof lock box. Turned out to be not so fireproof. :shock:
Not too shocking that the asbestos-lined hunk of hardened steel was left in crumbling pieces (and papers mere charred dust) when the heavy steel beams underlying my home warped and twisted like a nightmare roller coaster from the intense heat.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:46 am

Wow, that fire really burned hot! Good to know that fireproof safes really aren't.

Sounds like you've been able to go back in to see the damage. That must have been very hard. Are you in LA County? They got my donations along with the Red Cross so I hope so. We just guessed at your location, based on things you've posted over the years and your description of the fires.

I hope the agencies are doing right by you and the processes are going smoothly. Sometimes, things work the way they're supposed to work, although not always quickly. Best of luck on this!
Catalina

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Hopefully at least the paperwork part will get processed quickly.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Well at least you still have your driver's license, that's a small blessing... it makes me wonder, though, I have a "fireproof" box like that too. I guess if I really need to get out I should take the box with me...
Catalina

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:21 pm
Well at least you still have your driver's license, that's a small blessing... it makes me wonder, though, I have a "fireproof" box like that too. I guess if I really need to get out I should take the box with me...
Also have one, and vaguely remember reading somewheres one should tell the fire dept where it is kept, so they can pour some extra water on that area. Sounds like it might not be all that fireproof even in a single-house fire.
stark

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Baroque,

Drove past your environs today on the 101 heading for appt. in Westlake, made me sick to my stomach.
Its one thing to see it on TV, it's altogether worse seeing it in person, can't imagine having to go thru it.

One building in particular, (nothing special about it, I just remember the TV commentators) was the Good Night Inn motel somewhere around Agoura. The TV guys kept saying that the fire fighters should just let it go and do something else. Today I saw that they might've saved the first floor of the two story building, but very doubtful.

Painful.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
ElPrado2

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:18 am

Looking at plcs and video, that was practically fire storm in intensity. Usually those boxes do work. Looks like we found one more essential to take object when having to escape a fire.
The amount of irreplaceable photos and papers I lost during Hurricane Michael was unreal.