2019 Three-Year-Olds

Somnambulist

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 am

Katewerk wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 pm
Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Racing and the NBAization of it's trainers is problematic. Not every owner has deep enough pockets to afford the day rate of the Brown's and Bafferts of the world. Solid training begets winners, but this is akin to being the really smart kid whose parents couldn't afford an SAT tutor vs. the kid whose parents could. One is getting into Ivy League and the other isn't.

Just my take.
What's stopping the other trainers from getting smart?
I never said it's not complicated. It's capitalism; adapt or die. The big ones have 200+ stables and multiple entries per race. It's not impossible but it suddenly gets a lot harder.

I also don't know how I feel about the multiple entries per start. It would probably be no problem but racing is corrupt and does nothing to combat that image so..

I'm just observing and wondering how it effects the game in 20 years, if it even does at all.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am

ElPrado2 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am
This is getting to sound like jr high football.
You have the school quarterback on the field with cheerleaders and parents drooling over him. The running back and a wide receiver or two in a clot just downfield. Linebackers and d backs circulating. Linemen and the latest dolt or 2 that dropped a pass or fumbled on the edge of the field. And, in the stands, the usual parents, girls with a crush on whichever boy is hot this week, and professional haters sneering at this that or the other hot boy because they were ignored at the prom by him.
Can we just grow up and root for good horses? Ignore the trainers. Let the owners pester them.
I am really not sure how you got this from the current conversation whatsoever. What?

These types of comments deflate me, mostly because racing does have multiple problems (whether or not massive stables is one is up for debate) that actively need be discussed. I'm in an age bracket that will come to it's peak spending power in the next 20-30 years and everyone I know finds racing sleazy. The conversations need to be had.

Sticking our heads in the sand and just focusing on the pretty horses will probably just mean I'll have to find a new hobby if I'm lucky enough to make it to 80.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Spahny

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Out of the Baffert barn I like Improbable the most. Of the maidens it's close between Omaha Beach and Nolo Contesto. Personally I like Omaha Beach. Hidden Scroll was brilliant in his debut but I still really don't like the lack of experience no matter what happened last year. His trainer is an all time great but not necessarily great at doing this. But I do like Omaha Beach for having the best chance to continue to improve.

Instagrand could be any kind. I am really looking forward to his 3yo debut and first attempt at two turns. He is a serious runner and is going to win a lot of races. But he'll have to out run his pedigree to get 1 1/4. We've seen that happen though, haven't we?

Based on what I've seen this year War of Will is my current number 1. I don't know what he beat in the Lecomte but he sure did find a home routing on dirt. No distance concerns with this guy.

Officially I guess I have a top 2 with War of Will and Improbable. I guess Game Winner should be in there too. The others will need to keep moving forward.
Curtis

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Katewerk wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Racing and the NBAization of it's trainers is problematic. Not every owner has deep enough pockets to afford the day rate of the Brown's and Bafferts of the world. Solid training begets winners, but this is akin to being the really smart kid whose parents couldn't afford an SAT tutor vs. the kid whose parents could. One is getting into Ivy League and the other isn't.

Just my take.
Yeah, I don’t know if I’d describe Doug O’Neil as a super terrific mega-trainer and he seems to have that Derby thing figured out alright.
stark

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Curtis wrote:
Yeah, I don’t know if I’d describe Doug O’Neil as a super terrific mega-trainer and he seems to have that Derby thing figured out alright.
On a related note, I'm always curious about the relationship between agents and trainers making decisions for their jocks, and this might be noteworthy for O'Neill/Reddam...

Two-time Kentucky Derby-winning jockey Mario Gutierrez has parted company with Tom Knust and hired Matt Nakatani as his new agent.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
katmandu

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Sparky Ville (by @LanesEndFarms Candy Ride out of Storm Cat mare) upsets Bob Baffert-trained duo Dessman (2nd) and Coliseum (3-5 favorite, 3rd) to win G2 San Vicente at @santaanitapark at 7-1 odds for trainer Jeff Bonde on very wet track.

7 furlongs in 1:21.9
Spahny

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Sparky Ville was a good bet today with Rosario up. He gave Mucho Gusto a good test in the Bob Hope. He was also dusted by ten lengths by Instagrand in the Best Pal. He's a good horse but not really a Derby prospect. But nothing in here was.
Starine

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 pm

Spahny wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:38 pm
Out of the Baffert barn I like Improbable the most. Of the maidens it's close between Omaha Beach and Nolo Contesto. Personally I like Omaha Beach. Hidden Scroll was brilliant in his debut but I still really don't like the lack of experience no matter what happened last year. His trainer is an all time great but not necessarily great at doing this. But I do like Omaha Beach for having the best chance to continue to improve.
I'm fond of Omaha Beach myself. Love his pedigree and I think he has a lot of upside.
Private Thoughts

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 am

Somnambulist wrote:
He'd maybe have run through the end of 2018 unless he came from an amazing female family. There is no way he would be running in 2019. In my lifetime I've seen a 2yo season essentially become pointless and the spacing in between starts increase. Catholic Boy is getting a long break. From what? His taxing 2018 year? Gambling is not the primary focus for me. Maybe now I'm just old and the idea of favorite horses, etc. is best left in my teenage years because they aren't kept around long enough nor do they race frequently enough for it to really be draw.

Just my take.
I have to agree. I think this sport has always been run by the big owners and trainers taking a good portion of the top races, thinking back to the 20th century; Calumet, the Phipps Stable, the Whitney’s, etc., just off the top of my head. I think that is why California Chrome had such a huge following, he was not from BB or TP. He was the “everyman” horse. I too want the best horse to win, but it’s nice to see them race beyond the TC season. Again part of Chrome’s huge following, he stuck around beyond his 3 year old season. If the Japanese can keep their top horses in training there is no reason we couldn’t.
stark

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Dream Maker, the talented 3-year-old colt who returned from a four-month layoff Saturday at Fair Grounds to win a first-level, dirt-route allowance by 8 1/2 lengths, probably is headed to the Tampa Bay Derby.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47007-dream ... -bay-derby
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Curtis wrote:
Katewerk wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:

Just my take.
Side note: I think of the editions since 2010 my favorite Derby winner has been Nyquist.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Time off for Coliseum
Godolphin’s Coliseum (Tapit) will be given time off after his lackluster third-place finish in Sunday’s GII San Vicente S., trainer Bob Baffert confirmed Tuesday evening. The story was first reported in Daily Racing Form.

“He is not enjoying his job right now, so we’ll give him 30 days away from the track,” Baffert said. “We’ll start all over for summer racing.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ti ... -coliseum/
Northport

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Good they finally consulted the commenters on Blood Horse
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 am

Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 12, 2019
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-saturday
Mylute

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:55 pm

He got it for 2018 but he's three now, so.

Knicks Go Names Maryland Horse of the Year

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... f-the-year
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Barbara said he was out walking near John Shirreffs' barn.

Barbara Livingston @DRFLivingston
1h1 hour ago
Every so often a horse has such presence, you have to stop and gawk. Such was the case with this 3-year-old, whose name is FORM A SQUARE (GB).
This grand-looking, unraced guy is by Oasis Dream and out of Zenyatta's 1/2-sister, Eblouissante. It is Eblouissante's first foal.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm

zoecadman @zoecadman
9m9 minutes ago
zoecadman Retweeted XBTV
Brill looking sharp on the comeback trail.
Video: https://twitter.com/WatchXBTV/status/10 ... 6238236672
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Form a Dream is gorgeous! Ebby was a beautiful mare, and I hope her offspring can realize the potential that she had shown before that gate debacle in NY (can't remember the name of the stakes race).
Starine

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 pm

I'll admit, Form a Square does cut a lovely profile.