In Memoriam 2019

Catalina

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm
Thank you, it’s so hard to accept the loss.
My deepest sympathy on your loss, R2R.
Flanders

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am

Indyan Giving, dam of Game Winner, died from complications following colic surgery.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... res/366436
Mylute

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:22 pm

‘Rough, Little And Tough’: Former Jockey Rudy Turcotte Passes At Age 69

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... at-age-69/

~ Ron Turcotte's brother.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Mylute

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 am

WarBiscuit

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Mylute wrote:
Big Orange Retired Due to Injury

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ury/367337
Passing a message along from Big Orange to Mylute - "I'm just retired - I'm not dead" ;)

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Mylute

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:35 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm
Mylute wrote:
Big Orange Retired Due to Injury

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ury/367337
Passing a message along from Big Orange to Mylute - "I'm just retired - I'm not dead" ;)

WarBiscuit
Posted this from mobile so I must've unwittingly selected Memoriam 2019 for Retirements 2019.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
23m23 minutes ago
More
Baze apparently escaped serious injury when Hot American suffered fatal injury in finale at Santa Anita http://bit.ly/2E7xyGm

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
6m6 minutes ago
Per text from Baze's agent, Craig O'Bryan: "Tyler's fine". Good news there

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago
Covering this game, you'd think you'd get desensitized to the breakdowns over time. It's a reality of the business, I know. But if I'm being entirely honest, I think it's getting harder to deal with each time. It's just crushing. I can't imagine how people close to them deal.
Pebbles

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:57 pm

It's been reported Battle of Midway has been euthanized after sustaining an injury during a workout.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:36 pm

23m23 minutes ago
CHRB equine medical director Rick Arthur said Battle of Midway was one of two horses who broke down and had to be euthanized during training this morning at Santa Anita.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
23m23 minutes ago
CHRB equine medical director Rick Arthur said Battle of Midway was one of two horses who broke down and had to be euthanized during training this morning at Santa Anita.
Jeremy BalanVerified account@BH_JBalan
4m4 minutes ago
The second horse who broke down and was euthanized today at Santa Anita was Just Forget It, an unraced 4-year-old trained by Librado Barocio. He was a Cal-bred Old Topper gelding.

For what it's worth, the two incidents happened on different parts of the racetrack. Battle of Midway broke down at the top of the lane. Just Forget It was injured near the wire.
The Doctors Saint

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
23m23 minutes ago
4m4 minutes ago
The second horse who broke down and was euthanized today at Santa Anita was Just Forget It, an unraced 4-year-old trained by Librado Barocio. He was a Cal-bred Old Topper gelding.

For what it's worth, the two incidents happened on different parts of the racetrack. Battle of Midway broke down at the top of the lane. Just Forget It was injured near the wire.
I don't even know what to say.
I went back and found Sparrow Castle's post for November 9, 2017 about his retirement. Then he breeds 60 mares and only 5 took so he has to go back to the track to make up for refunds or whatever? At 20,000 each? Did he not make enough to cover his own feed? Jesus wept.
Ziggypop

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:48 am

The Doctors Saint wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
23m23 minutes ago
4m4 minutes ago

I went back and found Sparrow Castle's post for November 9, 2017 about his retirement. Then he breeds 60 mares and only 5 took so he has to go back to the track to make up for refunds or whatever? At 20,000 each? Did he not make enough to cover his own feed? Jesus wept.
Disgusting isn’t it. I am kind of over Winstar.
Catalina

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:38 am

Winstar isn't the only one handling infertile/subfertile stallions like this. George Washington comes to mind, most notably.
mariasmon

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Catalina wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:38 am
Winstar isn't the only one handling infertile/subfertile stallions like this. George Washington comes to mind, most notably.
Coolmore also returned Starspangledbanner to the racetrack. I don't think he won any races, but he resumed his breeding career and is doing fine.
mariasmon

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:48 am
The Doctors Saint wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

4m4 minutes ago

Disgusting isn’t it. I am kind of over Winstar.
What is it you think they are "refunding?" Stud fees are paid when a foal stands and nurses.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Elliott Walden @WinStarCEO
19m19 minutes ago
Spoke to Jerry this morning. We are getting Battle Of Midway laid to rest & he will be shipped back to our cemetery outside the office. This way, fans, friends, & team members can pay him tribute for years to come @WinStarFarm

zoecadman @zoecadman
41m41 minutes ago
Battle of Midways empty stall this morning - full of his favorite things , carrots , apples and cookies , plus a jolly ball ! #hewasloved
Sparrow Castle

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:47 pm

From John Cherwa's LA Times newsletter...
I enjoy writing about horse racing most of the time, and then there is today. Santa Anita suffered three horse fatalities over a 16-hour period, including the death of Battle of Midway, a top flight, Grade 1 winning horse that just picked up a win in the San Pasqual.

On Friday, Hot American broke down leaving the backstretch in a 1 1/8-mile turf race. On Saturday morning, Battle of Midway suffered a fracture of his hind pastern during a timed workout. Just Forget It, an unraced 4-year-old gelding, was also vanned off and euthanized after a training breakdown. The incidents occurred at different places on the track.

None of the jockeys suffered any serious injuries.

Santa Anita has a problem this racing season. More horses are dying than last year. That’s not to say the track is to blame, in fact, I can say with 100% certainty that Santa Anita, and every other track, feels its share of pain when a horse goes down. It’s the part of the business that everyone hates.

I was actually doing some research for a story for later this week on the increase of fatalities at Santa Anita, more than double, when I learned of the death of Battle of Midway. And, as I and others have said so many times, the death of a top-notch Grade 1 winner such as Battle of Midway is no more or less tragic than the deaths of Hot American or Just Forget It, who also died during this span of a day.

Santa Anita plans to bring in Mick Peterson, a track safety expert from the University of Kentucky to consult on this issue. The CHRB plans an emergency call with Santa Anita management on Sunday to discuss the problem.

As Dr. Rick Arthur, equine director at both the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and the California Horse Racing Board, said in a story I did for The Times web and print editions: “One horse [dying] is too a large number,” Arthur said. You can read the story here. https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sa ... newsletter

Tim Ritvo, Stronach boss, also said the same thing about any horse loss is one too many. He also said nothing different has been done to the track but the weather has been a mitigating factor. He also mentioned the track has spent more money this year on maintaining the track.

“When you float [seal] the track, it makes it hard,” Ritvo said. “And then you have to train and race over it. The only other option is to not train or race and that’s not a good option, either.”

Ritvo was quick to get back to The Times on this issue even though he was in Maryland. So, you know it is of major concern. And the CHRB has its share of concerns, as no doubt most other organizations that are touched by this issue have been.

It’s tough to get all these groups on the same page (and even impossible in the same room), but I can’t think of any better issue to be pushing for a common goal than horse safety. We can all agree on that.
The Doctors Saint

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:33 pm

My sincere apologies for beaking off like I did last night about all this. I realize that there are people
who feel gut punched over the deaths of these horses and their sudden, permanent absence; been there myself recently and that might have been part of it. If it wasn't for the racing industry I wouldn't know the privilege of thoroughbred ownership and I remind myself of that sometimes. Just the spate of fatalities and circumstances is too much at times. I do know what "stands and nurses" means; I was ranting a wee bit. Sorry.
mariasmon

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 pm

It was a rough day yesterday. It's really hard when a horse retires and then returns to racing, only to suffer a fatal injury. WinStar and the partners did nothing wrong and l doubt anyone is feeling worse about what happened than those directly connected to Battle of Midway.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 am

Absolutely true, mariasmon. For all who are and have been part of Battle of Midway's life, I'm sure the grief is crushingly real and the inevitable second-guessing in circumstances like this has got to be one of the most painful parts of that. From his breeder:

Pavla Nygaard (on Facebook)
23 hrs
Battle of Midway, 2017 Breeders Cup Dirt Mile Champion : January 30, 2014 - February 23, 2019.

Each of the horses we breed is a miracle in its own way. Battle of Midway turned into my hero during his life. Although his life so sadly ended in a tragic training accident this morning, my memories will be about the many things he taught me.

This mating, going to Smart Strike in his twilight years, taught me that age isn’t a reason not to pick a fabulous stallion. When his Mom had to have surgery while he was in utero, he taught me that it is worth fighting for Mom and baby. When he was always enthusiastically first in line when I visited the farm, he taught me that class is visible even in a young foal. When he pulled fan wires out of sockets and, a month before a yearling sale, implanted a splinter in his foot from an experiment with a board holding up his water bucket, he taught me not to take sales prep for granted. When he walked and shone at the Saratoga yearling sale, he taught me the value of teamwork and of finding a home in the hands of an owner who could give more opportunities than we could at the time. When he broke his maiden and earned the TDN Rising Star, he taught me it is ok to have a first start at 3 and not fall behind. When he ran 3rd in the 2017 Kentucky Derby, he taught me to ignore betting odds and believe in the horse’s heart. When his game effort in the Derby didn’t even get a mention in the press, he taught me to look beyond vanity of public recognition. When he lost in the Haskell, he taught me that a good horse can suffer a defeat but still return. When he out-dueled Sharp Azteca in the BC Dirt Mile, he taught me what a heart of a champion really is. When he was retired to stud, he taught me the heartbreak of wondering what else he could have done but also taught me the pride of being the breeder of a highly desirable stallion. When he was declared subfertile but returned to the track, he taught me to look back at my own 4 or 5 miscarriages with less pain and embarrassment. When he returned to top form over time and was invited to join the Dubai World Cup, he taught me that a career isn’t just one race, it’s a development over time. As I am processing today’s terrible news, he is teaching me that while pain of losing is immeasurable, it would have been worse to not know him at all. I am grateful and thankful to have known him. If there is anything to learn from today and how to do things better, I hope he will still be able to teach from heaven so his end isn’t in vain.

This picture was taken last week when Erik and I visited him at the barn. He looked happy, healthy and as good as ever. This was echoed by those who had seen him through this morning. He was loved. He was trained as the top athlete he was but also spoiled and well cared for. He loved apples but took carrots when that’s all I had. He would take a chunk out of an arm or clothing just to score a point, but he also liked his ears rubbed, his nose played with and a few kisses blown on his forehead while eating a treat. He was all class, all the time.

Condolences to his owners, handlers, fans and everyone who cared about him. I will miss you terribly, my hero. Rest In Peace.