Santa Anita 2019

Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Shockwave therapy has an analgesic effect on horses. Can't remember CA's rule re this, but they may go on the vet list for a certain amount of time.
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Shockwave therapy has an analgesic effect on horses. Can't remember CA's rule re this, but they may go on the vet list for a certain amount of time.
Who was the trainer a few years back who skirted the issue altogether by taking his horse off track to his nearby farm in Bradbury Estates to administer the treatments?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 pm

stark wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Who was the trainer a few years back who skirted the issue altogether by taking his horse off track to his nearby farm in Bradbury Estates to administer the treatments?
Bob Hess is the last trainer I remember that got in trouble for this. He had a big horse preparing for a big race so got some press. I don't know that the horse was off-site, or that he routinely did this though. It was before a work, not a race, and I believe the horse had been treated earlier in the day.

Sorry, I'm on the vet list myself and don't want to look it up.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Quotes from some trainers...LA Daily News.

Wilson: Stronach Group’s move to ban raceday medication was a bombshell
The Stronach Group dropped a bombshell on all of us Thursday, announcing a ban on raceday medication, including Lasix, at its two California tracks, Santa Anita and Golden Gate Fields.

The open letter from Belinda Stronach, chairman and president of TSG, came only hours after the 22nd horse fatality at Santa Anita since its winter meet began Dec. 26. Seven of the catastrophic injuries have occurred on the main track during racing, five on the turf course and 10 during morning training.

The announcement touched off a firestorm of reaction within the industry, some claiming it will destroy California racing, a good number supporting the new guidelines and others speculating on the number of trainers that will move their stables out of the state.

Two of the trainers I contacted for comment were firmly behind the stringent new guidelines that will begin immediately at Santa Anita. Racing is tentatively scheduled to resume March 22 after being suspended indefinitely March 5.

“I’m 100 percent behind the Stronach Group’s decision,” Doug O’Neill, Santa Anita’s leading trainer with 28 victories at the current meet, said in an email. “We need to show non-racing fans how much we love our horses. I support their new rules.”

Karen Headley, whose father Bruce has trained numerous Grade I winners and won the 2000 Breeders’ Cup Sprint with Kona Gold in then-record time, also enthusiastically supported the new guidelines, except for one.”I do oppose the Lasix ban,” she said in a text message. “I don’t train on Lasix or Bute. If that’s the rules, I’m OK with it.”

Bute is short for Phenylbutazone, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug for the short-term treatment of pain and fever in animals.

“That’s my favorite part of being a trainer, doing what’s best for my horses because my horses take care of me,” Headley said. “During this time we need total transparency and unification.”
More: The Stronach Group dropped a bombshell ... fication.”
Somnambulist

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:36 pm
Ray Paulick@raypaulick
1h1 hour ago
More Ray Paulick Retweeted NTWO
Otherwise known as bisphosphonates ... https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... d-healing/

NTWO @NTWOorg
2h2 hours ago
Replying to @raypaulick
Osphos and Tildren.... I hope these two drugs are being looked at and if their use may be playing a part in increased breakdowns.

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
4h4 hours ago
TVG reports the Stronach Group, which already supports the Horseracing Integrity Act, is announcing its two California tracks will impose new house rules eliminating race-day Lasix, review and revise all medication policies, and examine other issues like use of riding crop.
I would think the premise of any good business would be to be proactive rather than reactive. I'm personally into problem prevention than problem solving. Too much reactive is happening right now. It's especially painful because have been talking about this for years.

At this point I'd pay any track management to listen to us peons.
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
stark wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Bob Hess is the last trainer I remember that got in trouble for this. He had a big horse preparing for a big race so got some press. I don't know that the horse was off-site, or that he routinely did this though. It was before a work, not a race, and I believe the horse had been treated earlier in the day.

Thanks, sorry you're on the vets list.
For some reason I was thinking Barry Abrams, but my memory is shot.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

I agree, Som. All of these reforms have been talked about for a very long time. Here's a more big-picture look at what's happening by Chuck Simon.

The Right Thing
Santa Anita being closed in March is something that few living humans have been around long enough to recall. It’s been 85 years since the current Santa Anita Park opened in 1934. The inaugural Santa Anita Handicap with its then unheard of $100,000 purse was run in February 1935 with great fanfare, race coverage was on the front page of the LA Times. Last week Santa Anita Park found itself back on front pages, horse racing has returned to the spotlight, yet not just in Southern California, but plastered all across phone screens and websites, firmly embedded in the spin zone of the 24/7 news cycle. Death and mayhem sell, and scores of majestic animals perishing violently at a picturesque and famous California racetrack is a ready to serve pieces of click-bait pie. Pointed Op-Ed pieces were penned, mainstream media outlets slammed the sport, some calling for the abolition of horse racing, some just calling for some sort of reform though few if any really have any clue as to what that would actually entail. It’s really both a depressing and sobering time to be a part of a sport that is being attacked, especially with little ammunition to use defending it. Death is simply not justifiable despite its inevitably, the common thread among living creatures is death is going to visit us all.

The horse racing industry of course has responded in its usual discordant manner. While as a sport we are consistent in missing the point, this issue at Santa Anita shows just how vapid blather can be used to drive tired, pointless agendas even in the face of profoundly distressing news. The former White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel once famously said,”You never want a serious crisis to go to waste…” and that quote must be the motto of those within the racing community who are pushing for their pet peeve agenda, using dead horses as their unimpeachable justification.

We have heard that the track surface is to blame, that synthetic tracks should have never been removed. We have heard that weather is to blame, most specifically the torrential rainfall that has beseeched Southern California this winter. We have seen blame placed upon the racing officials who have pressed trainers to participate at higher levels. We have heard drugs are the problem, bute which has been around for fifty plus years is suddenly a major cause of injuries. There are those who claim the breed is not strong enough, too much speed they say. Trainers have been maligned for their techniques, training too hard according to some, too light by others. We hear calls for a national commission and standardized regulation though no one ever explains why bigger is better or how California rules in particular would be to blame.
More: https://www.pastthewire.com/the-right-thing/
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 pm

And lest we forget, amid all this blaming...

TracksideTalkMike 🐎 🏌🏻 ⛳️@TracksideMikeN
3h3 hours ago
amongst all the TSG noise this evening let’s not lose siight that @BloodHorse is still stifling @BH_JBalan from his twitter account ~ yes he’s written a few stories for “window dressing” we need to stand united on this #FREEBALAN
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 pm

stark wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
stark wrote:

Thanks, sorry you're on the vets list.
For some reason I was thinking Barry Abrams, but my memory is shot.
Thanks, stark. Yeah my memory is shot right now too.
Tessablue

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

The horse racing industry of course has responded in its usual discordant manner. While as a sport we are consistent in missing the point, this issue at Santa Anita shows just how vapid blather can be used to drive tired, pointless agendas even in the face of profoundly distressing news. The former White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel once famously said,”You never want a serious crisis to go to waste…” and that quote must be the motto of those within the racing community who are pushing for their pet peeve agenda, using dead horses as their unimpeachable justification.
This is exactly it. These responses are just absurd- when horses keep dying because nobody actually cares about finding the real problem, how is it going to look to the public? How do you respond to that? "Sure horses keep dying during workouts, but look, we finally had an excuse to ban Lasix! And as a bonus, we didn't let anyone know about it or prepare for it!"

Santa Anita deserves everything coming its way in the future. Their horses don't.

Oh, question- does this apply to the BC as well now?
CoronadosQuest

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:24 pm

How many horses moved to Los A to train when SA closed? Did the 'lesser quality' horses stay behind at Santa Anita? If it is the quality of horses, is the sport breeding to horses that retired after a few starts due to injury catching up to the breeders? Seems odd that SA is getting the breakdowns but Golden Gates and Los A aren't.
Three Ring

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm

I may be way off base here, but didn't the new track superintendent start right when the problems started happening? I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere except in passing. Maybe there's something in his maintenance routine that's not working with the track. I don't want to pass blame onto one person, but it could be more than a coincidence.

I know he was the assistant to the previous super, but everyone does things differently.
Retrospectiv

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 am

Found this on Twitter....... someone made a chart of all the horses who've broken down with info on last races, works, racing surfaces, etc.

I think all it really shows is how random this is.

https://twitter.com/ukHolloway91/status ... 9960795138

"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Tessablue

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 am

I also made a chart. It isnt color coded and it's pretty ugly, but it has different information.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view#gid=0

It isn't random. There are three temporal clusters of fatalities, and the most recent one has been dominated by lightly raced horses who debuted late (if at all) and have worked or raced over the track for an extended period of time. Exactly like the poor filly who died today.

I'm sorry to keep banging on this drum, but every injury happens for a reason and we have to analyze this from as many angles as possible. We also have to keep in mind that the surface is dynamic and has changed since the start of the meet, so it may be a red herring to look at every horse in aggregate rather than separating them out by time. The past eight or so deaths have been extraordinarily consistent.
Catalina

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:11 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
10 days, see link.
https://cms.horseracingreform.org/rulin ... california
TouchOfGrey

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am

For those interested, Steve Byk is having Steve Crist on his radio show this morning to discuss. Approx 9:20am EST.

Listen here: http://s25.streamerportal.com/tunein/races.pls
carole

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:21 am

I saw on Twitter a couple of people point out that The Stonarch Group is only implementing these changes at their California tracks, but what about their other tracks like Gulfstream Park? If they are so intent on moving the sport forward and care so much about the welfare of the horses then why are these rules only being implemented in California?
stark

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am

WildAgainFan74

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 am

Is Stronach's other CA track, Golden Gate Fields, still Tapeta? Both tracks on coast and both probably get same amount of rain. Anyone know fatalities at GGF on the synthetic? If it's a question of at risk horses being allowed to run, wouldn't we see the same breakdowns at GGF as well? I'm sure at risk horses are everywhere....
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am

Catalina wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:11 am
Sparrow Castle wrote:
10 days, see link.
https://cms.horseracingreform.org/rulin ... california
Thanks, Catalina.