2019 Three-Year-Olds

User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:06 am

Anothertwistafate still at Sunland Park, trainer Wright scoreboard watching to see if another prep needed for points
Anothertwistafate has remained at Sunland Park in New Mexico following his runner-up finish in the Sunland Park Derby. He has 30 points, which trainer Blaine Wright fears might not be enough to make the field for the Kentucky Derby on May 4. Wright would prefer to go straight to the Kentucky Derby, but said he'll see how the points standings look after this weekend's preps and then decide if Anothertwistafate will run in either the Arkansas Derby or the Lexington.

"I feel like he doesn't need to run again, but our hands might be forced," Wright said Monday. "After this Saturday, we'll know what to do."

Wright said remaining at Sunland has worked out fine.
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47538-anoth ... for-points
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:13 am

Espinoza still heading to Aqueduct Saturday, but only for Much Better in Bay Shore; Dessman to pass Wood, per Baffert
Victor Espinoza will still travel to New York on Saturday to ride Much Better for trainer Bob Baffert in the seven-furlong Bay Shore at Aqueduct, but Dessman -- who had been considered for the Wood Memorial -- will not travel for that race, in which Espinoza would have ridden him, Baffert informed Monday night.

Baffert said that upon evaluating Dessman's workout earlier Monday at Santa Anita, it was not satisfactory to put him in a race like the Wood. Dessman most recently was second in an allowance race at Oaklawn on Rebel day, so the Wood would have been his second race in three weeks, both involving traveling.

Baffert said he was "not sure" where Dessman would run next.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47537-espin ... er-baffert
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:48 am

What happened to Pletcher’s Intrepid Heart? Is he injured? Looked so promising in debut.
thinair
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am

Squeaky wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:48 am
What happened to Pletcher’s Intrepid Heart? Is he injured? Looked so promising in debut.
He's running in a very competitive allowance race on Friday at Keeneland. 8th race.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Daily Racing Form @DRFInsidePost
38m38 minutes ago
Extra Hope was not entered for Saturday’s Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby so that the highly promising colt can undergo a precautionary physical, trainer Richard Mandella said. @DRFAndersen with more:
https://www.drf.com/news/preview/extra- ... nita-derby
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Hoffa's Union one of four late nominees to Triple Crown
Hoffa’s Union, scheduled to run in the Wood Memorial on Saturday, is one of four 3-year-olds who were made late nominees to the Triple Crown via a payment of $6,000 that was due on Monday, Churchill Downs, the home of the Kentucky Derby, announced on Wednesday.

Hoffa’s Union was a runaway winner against maidens at Laurel before being purchased privately by a partnership that includes Gary Barber and Adam Wachtel. He is now trained by Mark Casse.

The other late nominees were Grumps Little Tots and Joevia, both also entered in the Wood Memorial, and allowance winner Spun to Run.

There were 362 horses nominated to the Triple Crown for $600 at the early deadline back in January, so there are now 366 horses nominated to this year’s Triple Crown.
https://www.drf.com/news/hoffas-union-o ... iple-crown
thinair
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:33 pm
Hoffa's Union one of four late nominees to Triple Crown
Hoffa’s Union, scheduled to run in the Wood Memorial on Saturday, is one of four 3-year-olds who were made late nominees to the Triple Crown via a payment of $6,000 that was due on Monday, Churchill Downs, the home of the Kentucky Derby, announced on Wednesday.

Hoffa’s Union was a runaway winner against maidens at Laurel before being purchased privately by a partnership that includes Gary Barber and Adam Wachtel. He is now trained by Mark Casse.

The other late nominees were Grumps Little Tots and Joevia, both also entered in the Wood Memorial, and allowance winner Spun to Run.

There were 362 horses nominated to the Triple Crown for $600 at the early deadline back in January, so there are now 366 horses nominated to this year’s Triple Crown.
https://www.drf.com/news/hoffas-union-o ... iple-crown
What's an extra $6K when you pay nearly seven figures for a gelding off a maiden win?
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Thank you Thinair. I will be sure to watch! Rooting for him. I can’t believe they spent almost 7 figures on Hoffa’s Union. Wow. I wonder if he will be worth it?
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Hoffa’s Union caught my eye because of his name. I had a family member who worked for (Jimmy) Hoffa's Teamsters union. Hoping they'll have some fun with him.

Capuano got him for $11k at Timonium as a two-year old in training. He had sold as a yearling for $40k. Nice breeding by Union Rags out of a Malibu Moon mare. Not sure why he was gelded before he hit the track, but it was reported he had some minor ailments when they bought him. I think they're more likely to go the Preakness route than the Derby, but who knows with Casse now training him.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4837
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 pm
Hoffa’s Union caught my eye because of his name. I had a family member who worked for (Jimmy) Hoffa's Teamsters union. Hoping they'll have some fun with him.

Capuano got him for $11k at Timonium as a two-year old in training. He had sold as a yearling for $40k. Nice breeding by Union Rags out of a Malibu Moon mare. Not sure why he was gelded before he hit the track, but it was reported he had some minor ailments when they bought him. I think they're more likely to go the Preakness route than the Derby, but who knows with Casse now training him.
Hard to imagine the connections passing on the Derby if he won or ran second.
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 am

Some nice things in light of all of the heaviness going on right now:

Bullet is potentially headed to Ascot after a nice win in the Palisades Turf Sprint today. I just love watching this horse race, he seems to be having a blast every step of the way. Look at those ears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysR50Cn3EJ4

And By My Standards had an absolutely lovely work this morning at Churchill. Would not be at all surprised if he ends up as the buzz morning horse going into the Derby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT6yEfnLoNk
User avatar
Blame
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 am

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 am

Tessablue wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 am
Some nice things in light of all of the heaviness going on right now:

Bullet is potentially headed to Ascot after a nice win in the Palisades Turf Sprint today. I just love watching this horse race, he seems to be having a blast every step of the way. Look at those ears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysR50Cn3EJ4

His name is Bulletin, not Bullet. It is a good thing too. Not sure Ascot would allow a horse named Bullet to run, with those ridiculous gun laws in the UK. :D
User avatar
pointgivenfan
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am

Blame wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 am
Tessablue wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 am
Some nice things in light of all of the heaviness going on right now:

Bullet is potentially headed to Ascot after a nice win in the Palisades Turf Sprint today. I just love watching this horse race, he seems to be having a blast every step of the way. Look at those ears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysR50Cn3EJ4

His name is Bulletin, not Bullet. It is a good thing too. Not sure Ascot would allow a horse named Bullet to run, with those ridiculous gun laws in the UK. :D
You realize there are people that refer to horses like Conquest Typhoon as "Phoony", yes? Pick worthier battles, man!
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:21 am

pointgivenfan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am

You realize there are people that refer to horses like Conquest Typhoon as "Phoony", yes? Pick worthier battles, man!
Phoony is a fantastic name and I move to refer to all horses accordingly. Twisty for the Derby!
User avatar
pointgivenfan
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:20 am

Tessablue wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:21 am
pointgivenfan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am

You realize there are people that refer to horses like Conquest Typhoon as "Phoony", yes? Pick worthier battles, man!
Phoony is a fantastic name and I move to refer to all horses accordingly. Twisty for the Derby!
I knew I never liked you!
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:28 am

pointgivenfan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:20 am
I knew I never liked you!
Okay Pointy..... :D
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:29 am

Ice Cold Derby Exacta.........Bullet-Maximum Security.
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am

Curtis wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:29 am
Ice Cold Derby Exacta.........Bullet-Maximum Security.
I think Cutting Humor should be your hunch bet ;)
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Going back to By My Standards, here's an explanation from Beyer himself about the horse's upgraded maiden beyer: https://www.drf.com/news/preview/andrew ... ment?type=

I really appreciate these sorts of clarifications, both as a bettor and as a fan. Such an interesting glimpse into the challenges of figure-making.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:10 pm

thinair wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am
Squeaky wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:48 am
What happened to Pletcher’s Intrepid Heart? Is he injured? Looked so promising in debut.
He's running in a very competitive allowance race on Friday at Keeneland. 8th race.
Intrepid Heart had to work for it and seemed to lose focus around the turn but dug in deep stretch and got the job done today at Keeneland. A beautiful horse and nice ride by Johnny V for Pletcher.
Post Reply