Santa Anita 2019

Sparrow Castle

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm
Letters to the Editor: Barry Irwin

The vast majority of folks in the industry are hunkered down in their own separate bunkers and do not want to have to think about the integrity of the race. They just want to keep on keeping on, because the game has been so good to them.

While these neo-Romans are content to listen to the lilting music from Nero’s strings, the world all around them is crumbling.

This week, the Association of Racing Commissioners International announced sweeping proposed changes in the severity of penalties and fines they suggest imposing on parties found guilty of cheating. They put together a blue-ribbon panel of well-intentioned industry experts to come up with the framework.

My response to yet another committee, board or group coming up with something that has teeth in it is as follows: wake me when it’s over please.

My problem is that no matter how many rules, substandard tests and other measures are introduced, one thing in the struggle to rid the game of cheats remains constant: no jurisdiction in all of North American racing has yet shown the will necessary to move the ball an inch.

Is the mood right for trainers, veterinarians and owners to realize that it is time not only to close the medicine cabinet, but to address the elephant in the room?

People: the biggest names in the game are trashing our sport by the illegal use of PEDs and they are flaunting it right in our faces. They are rubbing our clean-scrubbed faces right in the muck pit.

Are we going to stand up and do something about it? Or are we going to continue to ignore it or simply complain about it to our wives?

Let’s reach out to our leaders of the alphabet organizations and tell them to start representing us as responsible participants in the industry and get real.

C’mon ladies and gentlemen. Let’s have an industry we can be proud of. Isn’t that what it’s really all about?
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... y-irwin-4/
I dunno Barry. You currently have a horse with someone I wouldn’t have train one of my goats.
I think I know who you're referring to, and I totally agree. We'd never claim from him. A friend who manages a partnership that races mostly in Kentucky and Oaklawn recently claimed a young $30k horse from that trainer, despite my concerns. He looked so good on paper, and he'd been trained by Shug before that trainer got him.

My friend's trainer discovered he had some strange quirks, like he would run full speed into his stall as if he were fleeing a predator. He had a big cut across his forehead the morning they flew in to meet him just before his first race for them. He also said he saw signs of healing injuries to his hips and and a knee, probably banged them up during one of his previous charges into his stall. His trainer said he'd never seen anything like it, and tried to get him over it but nothing had worked to that point. A real shame he said because the horse has a nice temperament and he really liked him.

This horse had been running well, with only one off-the-board finish, and broke his maiden in the race they claimed him from. But he looked awful in his first-off-the-claim race at the same level, finishing dead last with a 21 Equibase speed figure vs 85 in his prior race. My friend and his trainer were glad that he got claimed again from that race, lesson learned. I hope his new trainer gets him right mentally and he has a nice racing career.

The sport really needs to get rid of jerks like that!
Curtis

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm
Letters to the Editor: Barry Irwin

More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... y-irwin-4/
I dunno Barry. You currently have a horse with someone I wouldn’t have train one of my goats.
I think I know who you're referring to, and I totally agree. We'd never claim from him. A friend who manages a partnership that races mostly in Kentucky and Oaklawn recently claimed a young $30k horse from that trainer, despite my concerns. He looked so good on paper, and he'd been trained by Shug before that trainer got him.

My friend's trainer discovered he had some strange quirks, like he would run full speed into his stall as if he were fleeing a predator. He had a big cut across his forehead the morning they flew in to meet him just before his first race for them. He also said he saw signs of healing injuries to his hips and and a knee, probably banged them up during one of his previous charges into his stall. His trainer said he'd never seen anything like it, and tried to get him over it but nothing had worked to that point. A real shame he said because the horse has a nice temperament and he really liked him.

This horse had been running well, with only one off-the-board finish, and broke his maiden in the race they claimed him from. But he looked awful in his first-off-the-claim race at the same level, finishing dead last with a 21 Equibase speed figure vs 85 in his prior race. My friend and his trainer were glad that he got claimed again from that race, lesson learned. I hope his new trainer gets him right mentally and he has a nice racing career.

I’m not positive we’re talking about the same guy, but as to whom I was referring..... Frank Lucarelli was training a horse for my farrier a few years back and said trainer wanted to buy him. When Luke sold him the horse, the horse was clean legged, not a pimple on him. Within months the horse was completely broken down. I mentioned before about viewing Eskenforadrink over a 10 week period last summer and fall at Del Mar. Again I wouldn’t send him one if my goats, but then again I love my goats.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 am

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Curtis wrote:

I’m not positive we’re talking about the same guy, but as to whom I was referring..... Frank Lucarelli was training a horse for my farrier a few years back and said trainer wanted to buy him. When Luke sold him the horse, the horse was clean legged, not a pimple on him. Within months the horse was completely broken down. I mentioned before about viewing Eskenforadrink over a 10 week period last summer and fall at Del Mar. Again I wouldn’t send him one if my goats, but then again I love my goats.
Ah, not the same trainer but similar. There's way too many of these guys holding trainers' licenses. Sorry about your farrier's horse and Eskenforadrink. I know that's hard to watch.
Curtis

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 am
Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

Ah, not the same trainer but similar. There's way too many of these guys holding trainers' licenses. Sorry about your farrier's horse and Eskenforadrink. I know that's hard to watch.
Perhaps the utilization of these trainers is an example of Team Valor over discretion.
stark

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm

WATER THERAPY PROVING EFFECTIVE AT SANTA ANITA

With equine medicine more readily embracing holistic treatments and procedures, Tyler Cerin, 31, son of veteran trainer Vladimir Cerin, is treating dozens of horses per week at Santa Anita with a Jacuzzi-like machine called an Equine Spa, which employs ice-cold salt water.

“It’s made in England and we use it as preventative maintenance and also to treat soft tissue that may have become stressed or inflamed,” said Cerin, who has treated horses nationwide as a highly sought-after Equine Massage Therapist. “With each horse, we school them first in order to get them comfortable, because they’re going to be standing in a confined space when treated.

“So, we walk each one through and then we stand them, similar to what you would do with a horse who was just getting familiarized with the starting gate. With some horses, if we see they’re getting stressed, we stop the process and bring them back in a day or two to make sure they’re comfortable with it.”

Once each horse is secured in the spa, the process of loading the salt water is initiated.

“It takes five minutes to get the water up over their knees and above their hocks,” said Cerin. “The water temperature is very consistent, at about 35 to 36 degrees, so we don’t want the level to get any higher, because if their belly was submerged, it’s pretty cold for them just to be standing there.

“Once the water has reached the proper level, we turn on the jets and it’s very similar to a human sitting in a Jacuzzi. It’s very soothing for the horses and once the water is circulating, this process lasts no longer than 10 minutes. So, with another five minutes required to drain the water, each horse is in and out within 20 minutes, maximum.”

When asked by XBTV’s Zoe Cadman if he’d ever been in the Equi-Spa himself, Cerin replied, “Yes, anything I do with the horses, I try it myself first . . . For me, it’s a blessing working as a team with each trainer and their staff as we try to help each of these horses reach their maximum potential.”
https://www.santaanita.com/stable-notes ... LS9MuhKjIV
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm
WATER THERAPY PROVING EFFECTIVE AT SANTA ANITA

With equine medicine more readily embracing holistic treatments and procedures, Tyler Cerin, 31, son of veteran trainer Vladimir Cerin, is treating dozens of horses per week at Santa Anita with a Jacuzzi-like machine called an Equine Spa, which employs ice-cold salt water.

“It’s made in England and we use it as preventative maintenance and also to treat soft tissue that may have become stressed or inflamed,” said Cerin, who has treated horses nationwide as a highly sought-after Equine Massage Therapist. “With each horse, we school them first in order to get them comfortable, because they’re going to be standing in a confined space when treated.

“So, we walk each one through and then we stand them, similar to what you would do with a horse who was just getting familiarized with the starting gate. With some horses, if we see they’re getting stressed, we stop the process and bring them back in a day or two to make sure they’re comfortable with it.”

Once each horse is secured in the spa, the process of loading the salt water is initiated.

“It takes five minutes to get the water up over their knees and above their hocks,” said Cerin. “The water temperature is very consistent, at about 35 to 36 degrees, so we don’t want the level to get any higher, because if their belly was submerged, it’s pretty cold for them just to be standing there.

“Once the water has reached the proper level, we turn on the jets and it’s very similar to a human sitting in a Jacuzzi. It’s very soothing for the horses and once the water is circulating, this process lasts no longer than 10 minutes. So, with another five minutes required to drain the water, each horse is in and out within 20 minutes, maximum.”

When asked by XBTV’s Zoe Cadman if he’d ever been in the Equi-Spa himself, Cerin replied, “Yes, anything I do with the horses, I try it myself first . . . For me, it’s a blessing working as a team with each trainer and their staff as we try to help each of these horses reach their maximum potential.”
https://www.santaanita.com/stable-notes ... LS9MuhKjIV
Should we find irony over the fact that water therapy is being promoted at Santa Anita?
stark

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Curtis wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Should we find irony over the fact that water therapy is being promoted at Santa Anita?
As the olde saying goes......God works in mysterious ways.
With Anticipation

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm

With horses heading to Kentucky, Santa Anita struggles with small fields

Several Southern California-based trainers have sent horses to Kentucky this spring, or plan to do so in coming weeks, at a time when Santa Anita has had difficulty filling races and officials are contemplating eliminating Thursdays for the remainder of the spring-summer meeting.

The departure from Santa Anita of runners from several leading stables is taking a severe toll on the available group of horses at Santa Anita in an already difficult year. There were 47 runners in eight races at Santa Anita on Sunday, a day that would typically have had nine races. On Sunday, there was one four-horse field and four races with five runners.

https://www.drf.com/news/horses-heading ... s/all-news
stark

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm

With Anticipation wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm
With horses heading to Kentucky, Santa Anita struggles with small fields

Several Southern California-based trainers have sent horses to Kentucky this spring, or plan to do so in coming weeks, at a time when Santa Anita has had difficulty filling races and officials are contemplating eliminating Thursdays for the remainder of the spring-summer meeting.

The departure from Santa Anita of runners from several leading stables is taking a severe toll on the available group of horses at Santa Anita in an already difficult year. There were 47 runners in eight races at Santa Anita on Sunday, a day that would typically have had nine races. On Sunday, there was one four-horse field and four races with five runners.

https://www.drf.com/news/horses-heading ... s/all-news
“But here’s what I’m proud about: at Santa Anita, we’ve gotten all this bad publicity, and these horses have been training on this surface, and look at them. They’re going into the Derby as the top four favorites, so I don’t want to hear any more about how bad it is in California.”
Bob B.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I wonder what the impact of so many horses fleeing California will do to the Del Mar meeting this summer, especially the non-stakes horses who don't usually ship out of state for races. And I wonder what the handle was at Santa Anita over the weekend, and will the horses and bettors return when Del Mar opens. It's hard to know how to support CA racing right now.

That BB quote stuck out to me too, stark. Should never tempt the racing gods that way.

Curtis, the big partnerships that focus on making money will always use some of the most successful trainers in the areas they race, to attract members. Those are the trainers who need to be exposed and monitored, because they impact so many horses. Someone on Twitter mentioned early in the SA disaster that those trainers should be given amnesty for past sins from X date back, but going forward throw the book at them when caught continuing their regular MO. When I got into ownership, I was tempted by LRF some years back, but decided to go with smaller partnerships with friends/acquaintances and local LLCs instead. The integrity of a trainer who puts the horse first has always been more important to me than making money, but not all feel that way and I don't bring mega-bucks into the group. A partnership likely can't succeed at the highest levels if all their members were like me. Racing has to handle this from an institutional standpoint to clean up the sport from the top down. I don't see how this is going to happen through the state racing commissions, too many conflicts of interests and just plain lacking the will to do what must be done.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm

LA County DA Forms Task Force to Investigate Santa Anita Deaths
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced Tuesday that she has formed a task force to investigate the rash of 23 horse deaths that occurred at Santa Anita Park from December through March.

“I have formed a task force of experienced deputy district attorneys and sworn peace officers with varied expertise within my office who will thoroughly investigate and evaluate the evidence to determine whether unlawful conduct or conditions affected the welfare and safety of horses at Santa Anita Park,” she said in a statement.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/la ... ta-deaths/
Curtis

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced Tuesday that she has formed a task force to investigate the rash of 23 horse deaths that occurred at Santa Anita Park from December through March.

“I have formed a task force of experienced deputy district attorneys and sworn peace officers with varied expertise within my office who will thoroughly investigate and evaluate the evidence to determine whether unlawful conduct or conditions affected the welfare and safety of horses at Santa Anita Park,” she said in a statement.
They could never do a documentary on this. The only one fit to narrate it would be Rod Serling.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

They could never do a documentary on this. The only one fit to narrate it would be Rod Serling.
Truth! And where are our national leaders?
Catalina

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

Ain't that the truth... :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Great sentiments, probably too late. This ship has sailed and the only vehicle on board that I see is the 2019 Horseracing Integrity Act.

Op/Ed: Barbara Banke

Some may say that the horse industry does not need more regulation. I say that we need to replace the patchwork of conflicting medication regulations and standards with a single comprehensive scheme that will enhance public trust of racing. A centralized and undeviating program with shared standards will afford us economies of scale, efficiencies, promotional opportunities, and strength when facing common obstacles.

Opportunities are easier to realize when we work together. Let’s set the stage for us to communicate to the public the story of how American legends are created on the racetrack with integrity and authenticity. We have a great deal to celebrate about the sport of racing, but we must build a strong, unified voice. We must craft our narrative and rebuild the foundation of integrity to establish trust with audiences old and new.

The age we live in is not the age we leave behind. Each day we wait is opportunity wasted. We are blessed to work with the most majestic and athletic creatures on earth, driven by their singular passion–winning. Our equine community is fueled by that same competitive spirit. As an industry, we have much to be proud of and a future that should be robust and promising. I believe that adopting national standards and national best practices is essential to elevating perception and marketing efforts across the industry.

I spoke many of these words at the 2017 Jockey Club Round Table. Two years later, we find ourselves facing a crisis and our foremost concern is whether our beloved industry will have any place in America’s sporting landscape. ...
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... ara-banke/
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Scollay Outlines Bisphosphonate Concerns to KHRC

To regulate bisphosphonates, Scollay suspects it's going to require effort from all involved, including regulators, tracks, sale companies, and veterinarians.

Scollay said because there are so many unknown bisphosphonates and they carry such potential risks, they should be avoided in horses 4 and younger. She said there's evidence that they're not curing the equine issues they were being used for: sesamoiditis in young horses and bone bruising in horses in training.

On the farm or in the sales environment with young horses, there had been some argument to administer bisphosphonates to address sesamoiditis, but Scollay said the substances do not resolve those issues—only hide them. Scollay, as well as Kentucky racing commissioner and racetrack veterinarian Foster Northrop, agreed that they do not cure bone bruising. In terms of any analgesic effect, Scollay said there are better, proven options available.

Scollay said currently tests for bisphosphonates are inadequate, only picking up administrations from about 30 to 100 days before the test. Scollay said perhaps as sales companies make initial assessments of horses, some horses on farms could be tested.

As the possible link between bisphosphonates and breakdowns has been talked about, it's had some educational value for people who may have administered the substances without being aware of any possible side effects. That said, Scollay suspects there's still some who would use the substances for economic gain, even knowing the potential risk.

"I've become a bit cynical, I hate to say it," Scollay said, later noting that she doesn't get the sense bisphosphonates are being used much on the racetrack.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ns-to-khrc
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 am

I don't think this got posted.

Churchill, Keeneland, NYRA considering partial Lasix ban
A group of racing companies that includes Churchill Downs, Keeneland, and the New York Racing Association are in discussions on a plan to prohibit the raceday use of furosemide in races for 2-year-olds and in stakes races, according to three officials with knowledge of the discussions.

The plan, which could be announced as soon as this week, would go into effect for 2-year-olds in 2020 and then be expanded to all stakes at the tracks in 2021, according to the officials. As a result, if the plan goes through, the Triple Crown races held at Churchill Downs and Belmont, owned by NYRA, would not be Lasix-free until 2021.

The plan has been hashed out among the tracks over the last few weeks in the wake of intense scrutiny of the racing industry brought about by a spate of fatalities this winter at Santa Anita Park in Southern California. Although raceday furosemide use has not been linked to fatalities, Churchill Downs and the New York Racing Association each host Triple Crown races, and the tracks are eager to counter the critical narratives buffeting the racing industry with an announcement that pushes back against the notion that the sport is too reliant on medication.

Any restriction on raceday furosemide use is controversial among many rank-and-file trainers, and a Kentucky group representing that faction, the Kentucky Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, is almost certain to challenge the plan. That could take the form of a lawsuit seeking to invalidate the restrictions under an interpretation of Kentucky law that maintains that private companies cannot act as regulators.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/churchill-keen ... s/all-news
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 am

Please have some of these aimed towards the big barns.

Jeremy Balan @jeremybalan
Scott Daruty says Santa Anita will be adding 600 security cameras to the backside.
10:09 AM - 16 Sep 2015
Diver52

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:30 pm

You'd think some of the East and Midwest trainers and owners who claim to be hay, oats and water fans would be shipping strings to SA. :(
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Curtis

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:30 pm
You'd think some of the East and Midwest trainers and owners who claim to be hay, oats and water fans would be shipping strings to SA. :(
They may take advantage of the Ship and Win, deal at Del Mar where the purses are bigger and then stick around. I don’t spend a lot of time reading the condition book but it seems the second SA meet— the old Hollywood Park spring dates—the purses are smaller than the main meeting.