Jockey/Trainer News - 2019

BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Maybe? Perhaps there is some sort of memorial/celebration of Rick Violette, and that's what prompted the NY guys to share their memories?
Although a lot of them had to do with arguments...and of becoming friends after a big argument with the man. ;)
WarBiscuit

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:09 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm
Maybe? Perhaps there is some sort of memorial/celebration of Rick Violette, and that's what prompted the NY guys to share their memories?
Although a lot of them had to do with arguments...and of becoming friends after a big argument with the man. ;)
May have been discussing Mr.Violette in conjunction with the upcoming Rick Violette Stakes this Wednesday (7/17) at Saratoga - Race 2. 100K race for 2yo's foaled in New York...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:23 pm

From DRF.....

Attorneys for the Hall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and the state’s trainers’ organization are seeking an immediate court order that will prevent Del Mar Thoroughbred Club from denying the trainer the ability to enter horses in the track’s races, according to a complaint filed Monday in Superior Court of San Diego.

The complaint was filed after several weeks of communications between the attorneys and Del Mar’s management to resolve the dispute, according to the filing. It is the first legal step in an ongoing controversy revolving around Hollendorfer, who was first banned by management at Santa Anita Park in June after a fourth horse in his care suffered a fatal injury while racing or training at the track since its opening on Dec. 26. Del Mar later refused to issue stalls to the trainer, and, following that decision, refused to allow him to enter any horses at the track, which opened Wednesday.

The suit was filed on behalf of Hollendorfer and the California Thoroughbred Trainers, an organization representing horsemen in the state. While racetracks across the U.S. have issued bans to trainers in the past under rights generally held by private-property owners, the Hollendorfer suit is unusual because of an agreement the CTT has with Del Mar that contains provisions that seemingly grant the organization a right to dispute the exclusion of one of its members or any decision denying stalls to a trainer.

According to the court's public affairs office, a hearing into the complaint has been placed on the calendar for the Superior Court for Thursday morning, according to the court's clerk. Judge Ronald Frazier will preside. Requests for temporary restraining orders are typically expedited, though the court is not under any obligation to rule immediately.

According to the complaint, the agreement between Del Mar and CTT stipulates that “the agreement of CTT shall be a condition precedent to any execution of a decision by track to limit or eliminate applicant’s ability to participate in racing or training activities.” The complaint notes that the CTT has not agreed with Del Mar’s decision to ban Hollendorder, though it also acknowledges that Del Mar disputes the CTT’s interpretation of the exclusion provision.

Furthermore, the complaint states that Del Mar is required to grant Hollendorfer an arbitration hearing in its decision to deny stalls to the trainer, also due to language in the agreement, if the CTT has concerns about the decision. It seeks a ruling from the court requiring that Del Mar grant the arbitration hearing.

Darrell Vienna, a former trainer in California, is representing the CTT in the lawsuit.

Josh Rubinstein, the president of Del Mar, declined on Wednesday to comment on the complaint.

Hollendorfer, who has been granted stalls at Del Mar for 30 years, according to the complaint, has become a cause celebre in a national conversation that erupted after a spate of deaths at Santa Anita this year. Animal-rights activists have issued statements supporting the ban, while many horsemen suspect that the decision to blackball Hollendorfer, both at Santa Anita and Del Mar, was made out of political expediency instead of a genuine concern over his horsemanship.

Following the close of the Santa Anita meeting, Hollendorfer was granted stalls during the Los Alamitos meeting, but he has also transferred many of his horses to his former assistant Dan Ward, who was granted stalls at Del Mar. Ward had a total four starters entered on the Wednesday and Thursday cards at Del Mar.

The complaint also states that Del Mar officials attempted to convince the management of Los Alamitos to evict him from his stalls at the track during its recently concluded three-week meeting.

Del Mar’s “efforts to remove Hollendorfer’s horses from stalls located at [Los Alamitos] and/or denying him the opportunity to enter horses at or otherwise participate in this upcoming race meet – either as an owner or a trainer – constitute deprivations of material and significant occupational and property interests, without fair procedure or due process, that will cause him immediate and irreparable harm,” the complaint states.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
greyhorse

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 pm

This whole thing shows how amateur-hour P.R. is in the horse racing industry. Just ban someone because there's a chance something might happen and you'd have to, you know, do your job and defend yourself or something? No, just keep posting cute pics of your buddies kissing horsie noses and that'll make it all go away. Guess what? Something will happen with other trainers, too. What do you do then? Oh, right. Ban the press and no one will find out. They've already started with Jeremy Balan, and they won't stop there.
stark

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:31 am

Happy Birthday Martin Pedroza #54
Mylute

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 pm

World's Oldest Active Thoroughbred Trainer Turns 100

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... w-zealand/
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 pm

I need to let this excerpt soak in.....

The filing also rejects Hollendorfer’s claim that Del Mar is illegally depriving him of his livelihood.

“During the next eight weeks that Del Mar’s race meet is ongoing, Hollendorfer has other options at which to train and race his horses,” the filing states. “There are race meets ongoing during that time at the race tracks at Cal Expo, Santa Rosa, and Ferndale just in California alone. Thus, the prejudice to Hollendorfer of not being able to participate in Del Mar’s race meet is minimal and is outweighed by the prejudice to DMTC if it is ordered to permit him to do so.”

https://www.drf.com/news/del-mar-asks-c ... -headlines
Curtis

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:15 pm

stark wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 pm
I need to let this excerpt soak in.....

The filing also rejects Hollendorfer’s claim that Del Mar is illegally depriving him of his livelihood.

“During the next eight weeks that Del Mar’s race meet is ongoing, Hollendorfer has other options at which to train and race his horses,” the filing states. “There are race meets ongoing during that time at the race tracks at Cal Expo, Santa Rosa, and Ferndale just in California alone. Thus, the prejudice to Hollendorfer of not being able to participate in Del Mar’s race meet is minimal and is outweighed by the prejudice to DMTC if it is ordered to permit him to do so.”

https://www.drf.com/news/del-mar-asks-c ... -headlines
That’s like saying Cody Bellinger is no longer welcome to play in Dodger Stadium but he’ll be okay because he can play in Rancho Cucamonga, Lake Elsinore or Modesto in CA, alone. I hate to be dissin’ Ferndale though. Now that Wacky Tobaccy is legal in Cali, the potential for growth—in more ways than one—in Humboldt County is off the charts.
stark

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:06 pm

stark

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:07 pm

Curtis,
Keep an eye out if Bellinger ships north.....

EVERETT AQUASOX - Northwest League (A-SS)
SPOKANE INDIANS - Northwest League (A-SS)
TACOMA RAINIERS - Pacific Coast League (AAA)
TRI-CITY DUST DEVILS - Northwest League (A-SS)
WENATCHEE APPLESOX - West Coast League (Collegiate)
Curtis

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:32 am

stark wrote:
Curtis,

I live 30 minutes from Everett and go to see the Aqua Sox every July 4th. The court may be right, Ferndale is closer to Del Mar than the Aqua Sox are to the bigs.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 am

stark wrote:
Curtis,

He actually wouldn't be eligible to play for any of those teams or the California teams previously mentioned -- too old for the collegiate league club, and all those other teams have exclusive affiliations with major league teams. He'd have to find some independent league team to sign with and play for less than what the AAA and AA guys are getting. Think New Britain Bees of the Atlantic League.

All this reminds me of an article Sports Illustrated ran on Chris McCarron when he was on his way to smashing the single-year record for wins by a jockey. The writer observed that Chris would often win a few races at Pimlico in the afternoon, then head down to Charles Town to ride some more. He compared it to Lou Brock stealing three bases in St. Louis, then swiping two more in the Texas League (presumably for the Cards' Little Rock affiliate) at night.
Curtis

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 am
stark wrote:
Curtis,

He actually wouldn't be eligible to play for any of those teams or the California teams previously mentioned -- too old for the collegiate league club, and all those other teams have exclusive affiliations with major league teams. He'd have to find some independent league team to sign with and play for less than what the AAA and AA guys are getting. Think New Britain Bees of the Atlantic League.

All this reminds me of an article Sports Illustrated ran on Chris McCarron when he was on his way to smashing the single-year record for wins by a jockey. The writer observed that Chris would often win a few races at Pimlico in the afternoon, then head down to Charles Town to ride some more. He compared it to Lou Brock stealing three bases in St. Louis, then swiping two more in the Texas League (presumably for the Cards' Little Rock affiliate) at night.
It was meant facetiously, however on a rehab assignment he could find himself quaking for a game or two at Rancho Cucamonga as they are affiliated with the Dodgers, if he were to go on the IL at some point. I don’t expect young Mr. Bellinger to be suiting up in anything not colored Pantone 294–the proprietary name for Dodger Blue—for many, many years. Of course a little over twenty years ago, I would have said that about Mike Piazza.
stark

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:54 pm

There's more at DRF.......

A San Diego County Superior Court Judge tentatively has ruled in favor of trainer Jerry Hollendorfer in the Hall of Famer’s quest to receive a temporary injunction against Del Mar, which has prevented Hollendorfer from running horses at the current meeting, which began July 17.

Judge Ronald F. Frazier’s tentative ruling, posted Thursday, said the request from Hollendorfer and co-plaintiff California Thoroughbred Trainers for a preliminary injunction would be granted with modification.

All parties are due in Frazier’s court on Friday morning in downtown San Diego to make final arguments before Frazier makes his final ruling on the matter. The tentative ruling is an indication of where the judge is at pending those final arguments.

https://www.drf.com/news/judge-indicate ... llendorfer
CorridorZ75

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:00 am

This is likely what Del Mar wanted. If JH wins the legal battle, he gets to run at Del Mar, but if any of his break down, DM gets to say well we tried to keep him out, so they save face PR-wise. I would love to think someone in this sport actually is thinking and planning for the good of it, but really, no one ever thinks past their bank account in this sport.
katmandu

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm

https://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-last-ch ... -joe?type=

Not his best piece, ever, but I always really enjoyed Jay Hovdey's writing.

“Anything can make me stop and look and wonder, and sometimes learn.” Kurt Vonnegut
stark

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 pm

The DTRC stewards on Monday slapped trainer Marcus Vitali with a one-year suspension and a $2,500 fine for "interfering with and impeding an investigation."

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... cus-vitali
Mylute

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 pm

My "logical" side is telling me that was human drugs or horse drugs in the refrigerated bubble wrap but my "watched Investigation Discovery every day" side wants me to believe he had a body part.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
barbaro111

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:00 pm

katmandu wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm
https://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-last-ch ... -joe?type=

Not his best piece, ever, but I always really enjoyed Jay Hovdey's writing.

“Anything can make me stop and look and wonder, and sometimes learn.” Kurt Vonnegut
I love his writing---why is he being let go?
katmandu

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 pm

I suspect DRF is narrowing down the range of what they provide. . .