Honor Code ...

CorridorZ75

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Well, let's just say Lane's End apparently wasn't making sure that people and mares known to get early two year olds were breeding to him. If I recall correctly, Wesley Ward bred 9 mares to AP, and I am guessing he wasn't paying full price. That was a calculated move by Coolmore to get AP off the ball and hopefully an Ascot runner and winner.
Somnambulist

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:28 pm

I think Retrospective was asking about the last grinder type to be a successful sure. I can't recall any myself but there are a lot of horses that retire.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Retrospectiv

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:29 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:02 pm
Well, let's just say Lane's End apparently wasn't making sure that people and mares known to get early two year olds were breeding to him. If I recall correctly, Wesley Ward bred 9 mares to AP, and I am guessing he wasn't paying full price. That was a calculated move by Coolmore to get AP off the ball and hopefully an Ascot runner and winner.
I would think any commercial stallion prospect standing would receive a certain number of speedy, sprinting, 2 yr old types in their first books, to try and do exactly what Coolmore have done with AP. With the short time frame a new stallion has to get off the mark, or go cold commercially, it's pretty much a necessity.
HC has a limited market elsewhere is he fails to fire in KY. Slews/Indys can't run on grass, so there's no option to lease him off to Japan for a year.

He may do well yet, who knows. I didn't look at his CI but I'm sure he got some very nice mares. I'd just be concerned about that last to first running style and how that's worked for other similar sires.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
CoronadosQuest

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Midnight Lute seems to be doing okay as a sire. Victory Gallop had some decent offspring before going to Turkey. Street Sense has had a few decent.
katmandu

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:27 pm

nm
Last edited by katmandu on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mylute

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:44 pm
Surprised to see the stallion no one wanted, Tonalist, 10 spots ahead of HC right now. Wasn't expecting much for 2 yr olds from him.
What do you mean by that?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Horsebagger

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:22 pm
IMO, a one paced grinder who ran from last.
Quite frankly, this is silly talk. Utter nonsense.
Somnambulist

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 pm

I still can't think of one though
Curtis

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 pm

Pleasant Colony did okay......really it’s all about turn of foot not so much when it’s used. Honor Code had turn of foot and he was special from 7-8f. He could get 9, but I liked him best at 7-8f around one turn.
Slewfan2

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 am

Curtis wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 pm
Pleasant Colony did okay......really it’s all about turn of foot not so much when it’s used. Honor Code had turn of foot and he was special from 7-8f. He could get 9, but I liked him best at 7-8f around one turn.
He actually ran pretty well in the BC Classic....and yes, he had a brilliant turn of foot. In fact, two recent runners (Honor A.P. and Thunder Code) showed that same turn. The idea that he was a grinder or plodder is silly.
Mylute

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:46 am

Horsebagger wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:45 pm
Retrospectiv wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:22 pm
IMO, a one paced grinder who ran from last.
Quite frankly, this is silly talk. Utter nonsense.
Yes it is.

This could be a "false memory" but I was under the impression that closers like Honor Code, or deep closers, aren't as common as like stalkers are, so it would make sense nobody can remember a closer or """grinder""" making it as a stallion.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Horsebagger

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Let's see what happens when Democratic Values debuts on Friday back at Belmont Park. Klaravitch/Brown/Castellano teaming up with a colt with a string of works on the main track at Saratoga that suggest he as some talent. Watch him work on xbtv.com in advance and tell me he's a one paced grinder.

I don't think so.
thinair

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Let's see what happens when Democratic Values debuts on Friday back at Belmont Park. Klaravitch/Brown/Castellano teaming up with a colt with a string of works on the main track at Saratoga that suggest he as some talent. Watch him work on xbtv.com in advance and tell me he's a one paced grinder.

I don't think so.
You beat me to it :)
Slewfan2

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
I watched the two workouts available, but it’s hard to judge because I’m not sure what I should have been looking for. He’s a nice looking colt, though...
Retrospectiv

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
I'm talking about the father, not the son, remember?

I never said HC never had talent, he very obviously did. But, there's no denying he had one run in him per race, from dead last usually. And he either made up the distance, or he didn't. I never cared for the fact the jock usually had at least one crack on his ass into him between the 1/2 and 3/4, just to get him motivated to get rolling. The Met Mile was by far his best win.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Horsebagger

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Slewfan2 wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
I watched the two workouts available, but it’s hard to judge because I’m not sure what I should have been looking for. He’s a nice looking colt, though...
He twice comfortably thumped an $875,000 Candy Ride colt owned by Peter Brant for starters. When he was on the inside, the rider was looking at his workmate imploring him to stay with him while he was being asked by that rider to go, until finally running away from him near the wire.

Of course, Brazillian might be nothing more than a plowhorse, but i'd think they are probably paired together because they may be viewed as comparable in Chad's eyes. at least at this point.
Slewfan2

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Slewfan2 wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
He twice comfortably thumped an $875,000 Candy Ride colt owned by Peter Brant for starters. When he was on the inside, the rider was looking at his workmate imploring him to stay with him while he was being asked by that rider to go, until finally running away from him near the wire.

Of course, Brazillian might be nothing more than a plowhorse, but i'd think they are probably paired together because they may be viewed as comparable in Chad's eyes. at least at this point.

Thanks! I'm going to watch it again now........I really enjoy watching workouts and I'm glad they're available.
thinair

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

I don't think so.
I'm talking about the father, not the son, remember?

I never said HC never had talent, he very obviously did. But, there's no denying he had one run in him per race, from dead last usually. And he either made up the distance, or he didn't. I never cared for the fact the jock usually had at least one crack on his ass into him between the 1/2 and 3/4, just to get him motivated to get rolling. The Met Mile was by far his best win.
His Met Mile was hardly "far" better than his Whitney win over Liam's Map.
katmandu

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Yup, one run closer. . .And given the company he kept, the fact he was only off the board once says a lot. Closers do not make their job any easier. That 2015 Whitney wasn't too shabby, Liam's Map was some kind of racehorse.

Looks like Democratic Values has a full sibling (filly) also, as they took the mare back to HC.

ETA: I took the time to watch the Whitney again, lol. ThinAir beat me to the post.
Somnambulist

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Slewfan2 wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

Meh on the price. They've all not started, it's a wash.

People spend money on all sorts of stuff that doesn't pair out.