2019 Keeneland September

User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4566
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Summer Bird wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Treve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:09 pm
Summer Bird wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm


That’s another one that I took care of too on the farm. So happy that both the Pharoahs the farm bred did so well.
Congrats Summer Bird that's amazing! I can't imagine how thrilled you must be! Were they always this sweet as babies?

The filly was actually quite spooky, but her mom isn’t the friendliest so it made sense why she didn’t warm up to people too much. I think she got better as a yearling. Her Candy Ride sister happens to be really sweet (go figure). The Escampette colt was very sweet, but he had a very cocky attitude sometimes :lol:
Well he's allowed to be, his Daddy won the triple crown, dontcha know!? :lol:
It definitely brings interesting notions about nature vs nurture though.

As a side note I was curious to see how the Pioneerof the Niles were selling considering it will be one of his penultimate crops, and I just saw the Stage Magic colt by him RNA'd at 950 000$ which feels kinda like a publicity stunt.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3733
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm

What do you mean by "feels like a publicity stunt"? Genuinely curious.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4566
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Mylute wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
What do you mean by "feels like a publicity stunt"? Genuinely curious.
If the reserve was that high, then it looks like they weren't actually willing to sell and part with the colt. I mean it could be that they genuinely decided they wouldn't let him go for less than a million, but it's impossible to know where the reserve actual was.
Also not possible to know where the live money stopped. So then, why run the colt through the sale at all? Well normally when a yearling RNA's that high it gets people talking, possibly other buyers interested in approaching and settling via a private treaty etc. It can draw attention to the colt as well as the mare and the connections. I'm not gonna go as far as to say it's childish attention-seeking behaviour - so instead I'd like to think it has some sort of motive in terms of commercial perspective, ergo a publicity stunt.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
CorridorZ75
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 am

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 pm

I would think a not small portion of the upper market end are "publicity stunts" under that definition. ;)
KatieK101
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Treve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Mylute wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
What do you mean by "feels like a publicity stunt"? Genuinely curious.
If the reserve was that high, then it looks like they weren't actually willing to sell and part with the colt. I mean it could be that they genuinely decided they wouldn't let him go for less than a million, but it's impossible to know where the reserve actual was.
Also not possible to know where the live money stopped. So then, why run the colt through the sale at all? Well normally when a yearling RNA's that high it gets people talking, possibly other buyers interested in approaching and settling via a private treaty etc. It can draw attention to the colt as well as the mare and the connections. I'm not gonna go as far as to say it's childish attention-seeking behaviour - so instead I'd like to think it has some sort of motive in terms of commercial perspective, ergo a publicity stunt.
In a recent article about Littleprincessemma and Stage Magic, his owner (I can’t recall her name atm) mentioned that they were almost hoping he would RNA so that they wouldn’t have to let him go.

I was curious to see if this colt would sell, because Justify’s half-brother by Will Take Charge was an RNA last year as well — although his final bid was somewhere in the seven-figures.

Not sure I would call it a publicly stunt, but I’m very curious as to what their reserve prices were.
Last edited by KatieK101 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 4475
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 pm

I think there's a not-insignificant number of top end yearlings (particularly colts) brought to the sale because the owners are looking for partners more than to actually sell them.
CorridorZ75
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 am

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 pm

For that matter, if Coolmore was the underbidder of the Leslie's Lady filly, then they may have been bidding Pope up, knowing that she was good to go as high as they wanted, because it was good advertisement for their stallion. Not to mention, that breeding was given to Clarkland for free if I recall so they might have already owned a piece of the filly anyway.
KatieK101
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:47 am

CorridorZ75 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 pm
For that matter, if Coolmore was the underbidder of the Leslie's Lady filly, then they may have been bidding Pope up, knowing that she was good to go as high as they wanted, because it was good advertisement for their stallion. Not to mention, that breeding was given to Clarkland for free if I recall so they might have already owned a piece of the filly anyway.
Yes, the breeding was free. Clarkland was originally going to breed her to Not This Time, but when they received the free season they obviously took it.

Would Coolmore really need to upbid so high to get AP some publicity? He seems to be doing just fine without their help 😂
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am

How did Clarkland end up with a free breeding to American Pharoah?
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3733
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 am

Northport wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
How did Clarkland end up with a free breeding to American Pharoah?
Maybe the breeding was offered to Leslie's Lady specifically.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
KatieK101
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 am

Mylute wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 am
Northport wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
How did Clarkland end up with a free breeding to American Pharoah?
Maybe the breeding was offered to Leslie's Lady specifically.
Less certain about this, but I want to say that it was offered to LL specifically. It’s been a couple years since I read the article, but LL has always been a big favorite of mine.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3733
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Leslie's Lady has produced great runners/producers from three different sires. Into Mischief is by Harlan's Holiday, Beholder is by Henny Hughes, and Coolmore's own Mendelssohn is by their own Scat Daddy. She is not a one trick, or should I say "one mating partner", pony. A baby produced from she and Pharoah would be worth megabux, especially if the baby is a filly, and the megabux at the sales would make daddy look good.

It would *make sense* (for lack of better wording) for Coolmore to say "Hey...wanna breed your blue hen to Pharoah for FWEE?! :) :) :)"
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3733
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Colt by Chrome out of Sacred Forest (family of Sinister Minister) goes for $40K.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 am

I admit that I do not get why some horses sell at the prices they do. The hip # 1302 Candy Ride colt sold for 4k...did they not like his looks, breeding, presentation?

Also, is there a way of looking up a horse once it's racing to see the original sale price?
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 4475
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:45 am

Delamont wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 am
I admit that I do not get why some horses sell at the prices they do. The hip # 1302 Candy Ride colt sold for 4k...did they not like his looks, breeding, presentation?

Also, is there a way of looking up a horse once it's racing to see the original sale price?
You can see their auction price(s) in the auction tab in their Equibase profile.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it could help boost Chrome's early stallion career. On the other hand...BB. Sigh.

Image
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3733
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:42 pm

What Chrome is that?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
CorridorZ75
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 am

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Shocked that Keeneland has such a low floor on these yearling when I see $1500 and $4000. Would have thought $5000 would be floor.
User avatar
Summer Bird
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:35 pm
Location: NY

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:42 pm
What Chrome is that?
The half sibling to GR 1 winner Bast
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3248
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:00 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm
Shocked that Keeneland has such a low floor on these yearling when I see $1500 and $4000. Would have thought $5000 would be floor.
its $1000
Post Reply