2019 Keeneland September

KatieK101
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:38 pm
Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it could help boost Chrome's early stallion career. On the other hand...BB. Sigh.

Image
If nothing else, I much prefer the way that Taylor Made is marketing Chrome rather than the way Coolmore is marketing Runhappy.
(Although, judging by the way his yearlings are selling, it’s working??)
Horsebagger
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 pm

KatieK101 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:38 pm
Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it could help boost Chrome's early stallion career. On the other hand...BB. Sigh.

Image
If nothing else, I much prefer the way that Taylor Made is marketing Chrome rather than the way Coolmore is marketing Runhappy.
(Although, judging by the way his yearlings are selling, it’s working??)
Coolmore has nothing to do with Runhappy. He's standing at Claiborne Farm and his promotion seems likes its primarily coming from his former owner, who of course probably still has a bulk of his shares as a stallion, so he benefits from his success.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:05 pm

"I took home a Chrome" is very cute. Give whosever's idea that was a cookie.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
KatieK101
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 pm
KatieK101 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:38 pm
Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it could help boost Chrome's early stallion career. On the other hand...BB. Sigh.

Image
If nothing else, I much prefer the way that Taylor Made is marketing Chrome rather than the way Coolmore is marketing Runhappy.
(Although, judging by the way his yearlings are selling, it’s working??)
Coolmore has nothing to do with Runhappy. He's standing at Claiborne Farm and his promotion seems likes its primarily coming from his former owner, who of course probably still has a bulk of his shares as a stallion, so he benefits from his success.
I meant Claiborne.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3234
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 am

KatieK101 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:44 pm
Horsebagger wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Coolmore has nothing to do with Runhappy. He's standing at Claiborne Farm and his promotion seems likes its primarily coming from his former owner, who of course probably still has a bulk of his shares as a stallion, so he benefits from his success.
I meant Claiborne.
It is Jim McIngvale, not Claiborne. He still owns 75% of him, the other 25% is owned by a syndicate.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Bayerns must not look like much or have female pedigree to support them. 4 offered, 3 of them sold for $3500 or less
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10497
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

The Racing Gods may have smiled on Bayern in that BC Classic, but apparently the Breeding Gods haven't. :shock: :oops:
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Tbh I always forget Bayern exists. Also I forgot Air Force Blue existed recently.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm
The Racing Gods may have smiled on Bayern in that BC Classic, but apparently the Breeding Gods haven't. :shock: :oops:
I'm fine with that.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3234
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:33 pm

bare it all wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Bayerns must not look like much or have female pedigree to support them. 4 offered, 3 of them sold for $3500 or less
They don't have particularly strong female sides. He had one sell for $200,000 earlier in the sale. He isn't doing terribly as a sire considering its only September, he has 9 winners and 2 that finished 2nd in stakes.

A lot of stallions get extremely low priced yearlings, there are so many yearlings offered they all can't be great. I mean the Flintshire half brother to GSWs Diversy Harbor, Keertana and Snow Top Mountain sold for $7,000. A Candy Ride out of a half-sister to Catalina Cruiser and Eagle, sold for $4,000. Sometimes pairings don't produce what the breeder envisions.
hadrianmarcus
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 pm

bare it all wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Bayerns must not look like much or have female pedigree to support them. 4 offered, 3 of them sold for $3500 or less
I remember how disappointed potential buyers were at how the initial Take Charge Indy's looked..... All they did was run.
You'd think people would learn not to bail on a stallion at September of their freshman year, Bayern, Honor Code, or anyone else.
prides2259
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: NYS

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:41 pm

In Watching Keeneland Sale s The Chrome s are Mostly Selling For Stud Fee And Above The horse s That Have Been Through The Ring Look Very Nice Good Shoulder s and Hip s Nice Bone and Nice Engine s Behind
So Far I Personally Like What I am Seeing
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Hip # 2146 .. a Colt (Summer Front-On the Menu), sold for one thousand. Was that the low price of the session?

:?
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Delamont wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Hip # 2146 .. a Colt (Summer Front-On the Menu), sold for one thousand. Was that the low price of the session?

:?
Summer Front X No Such Word (G1 winner) RNA'd for $1,000 - definitely not a good advertisement for the stallion.

There were 2 other horses besides Summer Front X On the Menu sold for $1,000

Animal Kingdom X Momma's Favourite
Cairo Prince X Love the Breeding

Both of the above were purchased by "Watershed", not sure who that is, but they've purchased 8 fillies for $35,000 so far. Yearlings by Cairo Prince, Animal Kingdom, Bayern, Kitten's Joy, Union Rags, More Than Ready, Bernardini, and Tiznow, so they're definitely getting some value on the pedigree side if they plan on keeping them as broodmares down the line.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3234
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:30 am

Northport wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 pm
Delamont wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Hip # 2146 .. a Colt (Summer Front-On the Menu), sold for one thousand. Was that the low price of the session?

:?
Summer Front X No Such Word (G1 winner) RNA'd for $1,000 - definitely not a good advertisement for the stallion.

There were 2 other horses besides Summer Front X On the Menu sold for $1,000

Animal Kingdom X Momma's Favourite
Cairo Prince X Love the Breeding

Both of the above were purchased by "Watershed", not sure who that is, but they've purchased 8 fillies for $35,000 so far. Yearlings by Cairo Prince, Animal Kingdom, Bayern, Kitten's Joy, Union Rags, More Than Ready, Bernardini, and Tiznow, so they're definitely getting some value on the pedigree side if they plan on keeping them as broodmares down the line.
Looks like Watershed has been buying cheap horses at various auctions for years, including mares and yearlings. But they go to different owners, some are exported and some are kept in the US. It kind of looks like they are a bloodstock agency.
tachyon
Posts: 3927
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:46 am

KatieK101 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:28 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:03 pm
mariasmon wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:51 pm


The filly out of Warbling went for $260K earlier, to what I believe are Japanese connections.
Japan seems to really like Chrome.
I think that’s awesome for Chrome. It would be so great if he could make an international impact; the fact that he got a Grade 1 on turf probably helps his case.
I look forward to seeing these California Chrome babies in JRA!! :D
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3688
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am

You never know what gems are hiding in those thousand dollar babies. Lots of pedigree variety, would make a nice broodmare band probably.

Weird knowing that I can go to keeneland right now and be able to afford one of these guys. What would I do with him afterwards though?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:17 am

Mylute wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am
You never know what gems are hiding in those thousand dollar babies. Lots of pedigree variety, would make a nice broodmare band probably.

Weird knowing that I can go to keeneland right now and be able to afford one of these guys. What would I do with him afterwards though?
My thoughts exactly. :lol:
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 pm
bare it all wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Bayerns must not look like much or have female pedigree to support them. 4 offered, 3 of them sold for $3500 or less
I remember how disappointed potential buyers were at how the initial Take Charge Indy's looked..... All they did was run.
You'd think people would learn not to bail on a stallion at September of their freshman year, Bayern, Honor Code, or anyone else.
Oh, totally not bailing - just surprising to see a stallion who you'd think would be doing well not to.

Breeding and making a stallion is a tricky business.

Example... a $12500 stallion who dropped to $7500 in 2011 when he had his first 10 yearlings at Keeneland and 6 sold... one sold really well for $105k. The rest averaged around $15k and he had 2 RNA for 14k or less. 2012 sale he had 4 sell for an average of $38500. Pretty sure none of those were in book 1, either. Yuck. Time to bail out on that one, right?? Fast-forward 7 years and he's booked full for next season - Into Mischief.
KatieK101
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm

bare it all wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
hadrianmarcus wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 pm
bare it all wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm
Bayerns must not look like much or have female pedigree to support them. 4 offered, 3 of them sold for $3500 or less
I remember how disappointed potential buyers were at how the initial Take Charge Indy's looked..... All they did was run.
You'd think people would learn not to bail on a stallion at September of their freshman year, Bayern, Honor Code, or anyone else.
Oh, totally not bailing - just surprising to see a stallion who you'd think would be doing well not to.

Breeding and making a stallion is a tricky business.

Example... a $12500 stallion who dropped to $7500 in 2011 when he had his first 10 yearlings at Keeneland and 6 sold... one sold really well for $105k. The rest averaged around $15k and he had 2 RNA for 14k or less. 2012 sale he had 4 sell for an average of $38500. Pretty sure none of those were in book 1, either. Yuck. Time to bail out on that one, right?? Fast-forward 7 years and he's booked full for next season - Into Mischief.
^^^
Post Reply