Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 am

Lab Contamination? Administrative Law Judge Recommends Meth Positive Be Thrown Out In New Jersey
An administrative law judge has recommended to the New Jersey Racing Commission that it reverse a $1,500 fine against Joe Sharp and a $60,000 purse forfeiture from a horse he trains that tested positive for methamphetamine at Monmouth Park in 2017.

In making her ruling, Administrative Law Judge Susan M. Scarola said post-race samples from Phat Man, winner of the Long Branch Stakes on July 8, 2017, may have been contaminated at Truesdail Laboratory in California, where the original testing was conducted and the split samples – eventually sent to the Maddy Laboratory at the University of California-Davis for confirmatory testing – were stored.

Phat Man shipped in to Monmouth Park from out of state the day of the Long Branch and was bedded down in a stall in trainer David Cannizzo's barn.

On July 27, stewards were notified that Phat Man tested positive for methamphetamine. Cannizzo's employees underwent drug testing and two licensed individuals who worked in the barn tested positive for methamphetamine. They were not named in the ALJ decision, but were referred to the commission.

The split sample sent from Truesdail to UC Davis confirmed the presence of methamphetamine at 30 picograms per milliliter of blood and 1.2 nanograms per milliliter of urine.
More: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/nl-a ... ew-jersey/
Mylute

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Nakatani, Injured Last Summer, Retires From Riding
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rom-riding

Thanks a bunch Assael.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Curtis

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Mylute wrote:

Thanks a bunch Assael.
Ryan Barber gives his regards.
stark

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:15 pm
Mylute wrote:

Thanks a bunch Assael.
Ryan Barber gives his regards.
For those not old enough to remember....circa 1997

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Northport

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Hot take: Mysterious Dubai-based owner who emerges from no where in 2017 and spends tens of millions at sales across the globe is accused of stealing 100,000,000 euros from a cryptocurrency ponzi scheme.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/phoenix ... cam/410788

https://www.racingpost.com/news/phoenix ... ase/410825
weeeeeeeee
CorridorZ75

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Northport wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm
Hot take: Mysterious Dubai-based owner who emerges from no where in 2017 and spends tens of millions at sales across the globe is accused of stealing 100,000,000 euros from a cryptocurrency ponzi scheme.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/phoenix ... cam/410788

https://www.racingpost.com/news/phoenix ... ase/410825
Honestly, the most surprising thing to me was that he was he was not killed when they found out he had stolen the money. Seems that one of the other principals in the scam hasn't been seen since 2017....
Northport

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Another hot take: Phoenix Thoroughbreds Investment Fund was never an investment fund!

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/r ... B4.twitter
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 pm

“Phoenix Fund Investments LLC categorically denies all allegations made against it, and its owner, Mr. Amer Abdulaziz, in legal proceedings against OneCoin and its conspirators in the US."
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... ring-case/

Uh huh. :roll:
There are plenty of interesting comments after Paulick's piece, and this linked article is supposed to be a good read:
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50435014
stark

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:11 pm

stark

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm

From across the pond.....
Were they causing a danger, riding under the influence?

Two jockeys have been sanctioned over issues with doping tests, while one has a handed a possible ban for failing to submit to a test, the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board have confirmed.

Jockey David Simmonson has been suspended for two years after a doping test found traces of cocaine and cannabis following a meeting at Tipperary on 11 August.

Cian Cullinan has been suspended for four years after traces of cocaine were found in a drugs test at Listowel on 10 September, which again will be reviewed within 12 months.

Neither jockey requested that the 'B' Sample be analysed.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm
From across the pond.....
Were they causing a danger, riding under the influence?

Two jockeys have been sanctioned over issues with doping tests, while one has a handed a possible ban for failing to submit to a test, the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board have confirmed.

Jockey David Simmonson has been suspended for two years after a doping test found traces of cocaine and cannabis following a meeting at Tipperary on 11 August.

Cian Cullinan has been suspended for four years after traces of cocaine were found in a drugs test at Listowel on 10 September, which again will be reviewed within 12 months.

Neither jockey requested that the 'B' Sample be analysed.
Fringe riders at two of Ireland's lower-level courses. It's a long way FROM Tipperary to The Curragh or Naas! Are random drug tests done at all Irish tracks or just in the minor leagues?
Squeaky

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Linda Rice under investigation by NY State Gaming Commission for making corrupt and improper acts. She allegedly paid racing officials money in return for information on entries in races that she was considering entering horses in. I don’t totally understand this- can someone e explain this to me? How would this give her an advantage? Do trainers not know what other horses are entered in a race before they enter?
Mylute

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 am

Squeaky wrote:
Linda Rice under investigation by NY State Gaming Commission for making corrupt and improper acts. She allegedly paid racing officials money in return for information on entries in races that she was considering entering horses in. I don’t totally understand this- can someone e explain this to me? How would this give her an advantage? Do trainers not know what other horses are entered in a race before they enter?
Yeah this doesn't make any sense.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Curtis

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:33 am

Squeaky wrote:
A trainer may have an idea who might enter a race but they won’t know for sure until the overnights are posted. For example, had Baffert not sold that Justify would go in the Sunland Derby rather than that NWOT he went in for his second start, the race probably would not have filled.
stark

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:19 am

I'm hoping Andy can share some NY insights on this one.

As I recall, Linda Rice sure does scratch a lot of horses after she sees the entries come out. That's something wouldn't be allowed in Ca. Nothing wrong with the horse, she just re-enters a few days later in a spot she prefers. Knowing a little intel ahead of time could help her modus operandi.

Strictlyawildassguess.
Curtis

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:43 am

stark wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:19 am
I'm hoping Andy can share some NY insights on this one.

As I recall, Linda Rice sure does scratch a lot of horses after she sees the entries come out. That's something wouldn't be allowed in Ca. Nothing wrong with the horse, she just re-enters a few days later in a spot she prefers. Knowing a little intel ahead of time could help her modus operandi.

Strictlyawildassguess.
Absolutely and where Rice plies her trade, she can ship to another track to find a spot. It would be a definite advantage if you train a speed horse and can find out in advance a race your considering is loaded with speed where as another race, that could also work, is coming up paceless. In CA, a trainer may want to come out of a race because he or she doesn’t like who they’re in against but chances are they’ll be stuck because the field will be short already.
Squeaky

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Steve Asmussen given small fine and 30 d suspension for 2 overages of the sedative and muscle relaxer acepromazine. So a slap on the wrist, Scott takes over and Steve gets a nice Christmas vacation.
CorridorZ75

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:20 pm

If racing was serious about getting serious, they would not allow horses currently under a trainer that gets suspended for a drug overage to race during his suspension, even if they are transferred to another trainer in name or deed. It would also make owners think twice about having runners with a trainer that has hundreds, just because the likelihood of a positive in one is greater.
stark

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Squeaky wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 pm
Steve Asmussen given small fine and 30 d suspension for 2 overages of the sedative and muscle relaxer acepromazine. So a slap on the wrist, Scott takes over and Steve gets a nice Christmas vacation.

Prolly acting in the best interests of his horses, just wanting to make sure they are comfortable and pain free while jogging around.
Squeaky

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 am

Asmussen is appealing the ruling, saying he had the ace given way outside of recommended timeframes, and that the cutoff levels were reflective of IV use, not oral, which is how most backstretch vets use it, and that the residual metabolites were inert and had no effect on race day. He is taking a stand on principle to help other horsemen.