Go East Old Man

Curtis

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 pm

stark wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 pm
Thanks, the fact you're so much older than I am really comes in handy here!
I was a kid when I saw Majestic Prince win the Santa Anita Derby. Everything from that point forward is legend and when legend becomes fact, always print the legend.πŸ˜‰
stark

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Curtis wrote: ↑
I was a kid when I saw Majestic Prince win the Santa Anita Derby. Everything from that point forward is legend and when legend becomes fact, always print the legend.πŸ˜‰
1962 cashed my first ticket ever @ HP.....was a stooper, don't know the horse.
Immediately went to Big5 Sporting Goods on Sepulveda in Culver City and bought my first Little League glove so I wouldn't have to share with the other sweaty kids. Hooked for life.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:57 pm
Curtis wrote: ↑
1962 cashed my first ticket ever @ HP.....was a stooper, don't know the horse.
Immediately went to Big5 Sporting Goods on Sepulveda in Culver City and bought my first Little League glove so I wouldn't have to share with the other sweaty kids. Hooked for life.
My first bet was Atta Boy Ernie at Hollywood Park in 1972. My Grandmother took me to the track that day and my parents each gave me a dollar to bet. My younger sister watched Sesame Street that morning and I wandered through while the venerable duo, Ernie and Bert were being shown. I believe Ernie was warbling about his rubber ducky. Atta Boy Ernie with Dennis Tierney aloft bounded home and paid $7.20. My father took $5.00 and left me with a $2.20 commission.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 am

So basically they just wanna ensure to have a certain "quality" of horses in the gate. Gottcha! (This is totally foreign for me, because here it's the norm to have races for all kinds of horses from 3k up to the G1. Hence my silly question.) From a betting point of view, I don't care if a race has G1 status or is a low level claimer.

I do suspect the same thing as Curtis, since the number of horses are finite, I guess you can see a lot "lower level" horses competing at 10k, they have to fill the races somehow.

Once again thanks for all the info!

Edit to say: my first bet was with my father when I was 10 years old, 1989 :lol: I remember that I did win, 2 bucks or something like that!