Is there an electrician in the house?

DawnStorm

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm

About two weeks ago, I noticed that the fridge was out--you can always tell because the light doesn't come on. Called an electrician after hours and after checking the circuit box and wiring, he said that the wiring was getting old and then started saying something about possibly getting that whole area rewired. Tearing up my kitchen wall?! Not if I can help it! He put in a new heavy duty plug and peace reigned once more in the House of Dawn. Fast forward to this weekend: nothing in that part of my kitchen works: gas oven, over-sink light, fridge. Thankfully I had a heavy duty extension cord and a functioning plug nearby. Crisis averted. Yesterday, I go downstairs to do laundry and....the washer won't come on. :?: Thankfully I was able to plug that in someplace else. Is something wrong with the circuit(s)? Everything else works fine. Another electrician should be at my house right now. The advantage of having a retired husband is I don't have to be home for stuff like this.
But what the heck is going on and more importantly, HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST????

If it has a roof or a rear view, it's gonna cost you money.
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason
Flanders

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:42 pm

My house was wired in the early 80s and wasn't wired to the standards of today, with all the electric gadgets, etc. Did you add anything new?
I know if I run X, Y and Z in my kitchen it blows my breaker out. Could you just be overloading your system? Or its not your breaker?
DawnStorm

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Whew! It turns out that a circuit connection was loose; the electrician told Hubby that the issue was pretty common. He did check other things just to be safe. You have no idea how relieved I am. I thought I'd have to donate a kidney to pay for a replacement of something expensive.
Everything works and my blood pressure is where it should be.
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason