CHRB Memo To The Ca. Governor

stark

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Copy and pasted from the John Cherwa/LA Times newsletter....

Remembering back a couple weeks at the California Horse Racing Board meeting that would never end, executive director Rick Baedeker announced several recommendations the board was making to Gov. Gavin Newsom. He hit many of the high points.
Well those ideas were being worked on until Wednesday, when the memorandum was sent to Newsom. It’s broken down into four categories.
1.Ideas that require statutory changes,
2.possible policy changes,
3.active changes that are in the pipeline and
4.those changes that become real during this year.

Potential Statutory Changes
1. Modification of confidentiality requirements. The statute currently requires that “all test results remain confidential unless and until a complaint is filed.” The Board recommends a modification to the statute to make public any positive test within 24 hours of receipt of confirmation of the presence of the prohibited substance from the independent laboratory.
2. CHRB license fees and penalty revenue earmarked for specific safety measures. Use of these funds would be strictly limited to contracting additional state veterinarians, safety stewards and infrastructure support clearly related to the safety and welfare of horses and riders.
3. Veterinary Medical Record Exemptions. Permit access to horse medical records to owners, CHRB veterinarians, track veterinarians, trainers and jockeys.

Potential Policy Changes
4. Placement of high priority watch list horses on the Vet’s List. Mandate that any horse placed on the “high priority” watch list by the review panel be placed on the Vet’s List and prohibited from racing and training until removal from the list by the Official (CHRB) Veterinarian.
5. Vet’s List enhancement. Add stricter protocols for removal from Vet’s List (e.g., MRI, PET scan).
6. Fatality information. Fatality details, including trainer identity, will be posted weekly on the CHRB website beginning January 1, 2020.
7. Provisions for Whistleblowers. Require tracks to provide mechanism and protections for whistleblowers to report suspicious activity.
8. Sealed tracks. Prohibit training or racing on racetracks that have been modified to handle rainy weather. (Cherwa note: If this gets passed it will make it easy for Santa Anita to find 12 days to cancel.)
9. Corticosteroids. Gradually prohibit the use of corticosteroid medications.
10. Synthetic Surfaces. Continue to research the feasibility and desirability of synthetic surfaces. (Cherwa note: This is called giving the illusion of taking a stand without actually taking a stand.)
11. Shockwave therapy. Prohibit extracorporeal shock wave therapy.
12. Medical Reports. Require submission of 30-day medical report at time of entry.
13. Veterinary Standards. Strengthen current regulatory language, with increased penalty guidelines, requiring veterinarians to perform examination, diagnosis and treatment protocols and strict compliance by trainers.
14. Out of competition testing. Increase the utilization of out of competition testing.
15. Training for trainers and vets. Provide ongoing training to trainers and veterinarians on risks of corticosteroids and other permitted medications.
16. Review Penalty guidelines. Review and strengthen medication penalty guidelines, as needed, to further deter violations. (Cherwa: This should extend beyond medication violations. In the stewards reports, we’ve seen enough pocket change fines to last a lifetime.)

Active Regulatory Changes (moved for public comment)
1. Requires trainers to maintain complete records of all veterinary treatments and make them available upon demand of the examining veterinarian.*
2. Requires veterinarians to electronically submit the mandated 24-hour treatment reports.
3. Prohibits the use of bisphosphonates in racehorses.*
4. Establishes strict threshold limits for permitted medications during workouts.*
5. Allows jockeys to use the riding crop for safety purposes only, i.e., prohibit use of the crop for encouragement.** (Cherwa note: This is most controversial of all recommendations. It will likely be figured out at the next meeting. But no guarantees.)
6. Eliminates the use of Lasix for all two-year-old horses beginning in 2020 and all subsequent years, ultimately resulting in the elimination of the drug in racing.*
7. Requires that medical records for the previous 14 days accompany any horse shipping-in to race in CA from another jurisdiction.*
8. Causes any horse receiving extracorporeal shock wave therapy to be placed on the Veterinarian’s List for 30 days.
9. Denies eligibility to any horse that has not been in the care of a CHRB licensed trainer for at least seven consecutive days.*
10. Requires that an applicant for trainer’s license must serve a successful one-year apprenticeship under a CHRB licensed trainer before being licensed as a trainer.*
11. Requires trainers to complete 12 hours of continuing education classes over three years in order to be relicensed.
* If adopted will be the most stringent rule of any racing jurisdiction in the country.
** An alternate version, permitting tapping on the shoulder, is under consideration by the Board. Either, if adopted, will be the most stringent rule in North America and Europe.

Regulatory Changes Effective 2019
12. Suspended authorized thresholds for all anti-inflammatory medications at all racetracks in California, resulting in zero tolerance for those substances in post-race laboratory tests.***
13. Greatly expanded out-of-competition testing and provided the means for prosecution of offenders.
14. Expanded statutorily mandated necropsies for any horse that dies within a CHRB enclosure to full investigations conducted by CHRB investigations and Official Veterinarians, utilizing the Board’s subpoena power as necessary.***
15. Denied eligibility to any horse that is four years old or older that a) has never raced or b) has not raced in 120 days or longer, until such has horse has performed satisfactorily in a timed workout before the CHRB Official Veterinarian.***
16. Required the transfer of all medical records for any horse that is claimed (purchased out of a race) to the new attending veterinarian.***
17. Required that all horses within CHRB enclosures be microchipped in order to start in a race.***
*** Currently the most stringent rule of any racing jurisdiction in the country.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 am

Update from the author....

And speaking of Baedeker’s letter to the Gov., my email blew up on Saturday. Just a scant few of you believed these measures were steps in the right direction. The overwhelming tone of things were that these were going to further weaken California racing, driving it to extinction.

The current hot-button issue is use of the whip. There are two proposals out there, both severely limiting its use. I’ve had several bettors tell me if whip use goes away then they will go away with it. It’s an optics issue mostly. No one wants to see a horse being whaled on down the stretch and that’s the perception racing is trying to erase.

Another thing brought up by a couple readers is there is no such thing as zero tolerance to any drug-tested medication. That’s true, so the CHRB will have to set minimum standards just so the testing falls in a margin of error.

These changes are a very emotional issues to those who follow California racing. How it ends up, we’ll have to wait and see.
stark

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am

RIP

Southern California Racing

Hollywood Park 1938-2013
Santa Anita 1934-2020
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:15 pm

I'd limit the whip somewhat to 3 to 5 hits, that's sensible enough. Perfect middle ground to give every horse the best chance without getting beaten into oblivion. I did suggest to get rid of the whip as a gimmick for the public (apart from safety reasons), but it's just that... a gimmick for the public.

I'm all on board with the 0 drugs, out of competition testing, forwarding the vet records of claimers etc. (You heard me say it multiple times before what I would do :lol: )

Not a big fan of microchips, just a question of time til some poor horse will appear at a slaughterhouse with a cut out microchip. Maybe in addition to a tattoo.

Not sure about the "sealed track" and synth surfaces... especially if other states maybe follow suit and then every damn state has 5 different surfaces, before it comes to that might as well switch to turf instead of dirt, because it will have nothing in common with dirt racing.

If only California implements those rules/guides/regulations... they won't have many races to fill I guess, too tempting to just go and race somewhere else where you can use the drugs etc.
hadrianmarcus

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:48 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am
RIP

Southern California Racing

Hollywood Park 1938-2013
Santa Anita 1934-2020
Then goodbye LA, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento and San Diego markets.
And if CDI successfully kills of Arlington Park, then goodbye Chicago.

If anyone thinks a major sport can survive on New York, Kentucky, Florida, and occasionally...Louisiana, Baltimore-DC-Richmond and Arkansas, good luck with that.

I was raised on California racing. Moved east in 80s. I don't give a crap about the NYRA except a couple days a year. I don't need to hear the NYRA broadcast's breathless whispers about the magic of Saratoga.
(Or TVG's breathless whispers about California racing or Keeneland for that matter). People want there own racing product locally, even its a limited meet. You lose California, you lose a lot of future bettors and fans.
I do know that when there is no relevant racing west of the Mississippi, this sport will slide from niche to irrelevant.

Thank god I can watch and/or bet the JRA, Hong Kong, and Dubai.
stark

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 pm

The fans vs. Stronach vs. CHRB vs. statewide government vs. PETA vs. horsemen vs. owners, it's all gotten to the point where the game just isn't worth it anymore in California.

The next battle I'm looking forward to being a spectator at is the developer who buys the Santa Anita land and the opposition party, better known as the Arcadia city council and concerned neighbors.

Unlike the Hollywood Park property that was redeveloped immediately for the new NFL Rams facility, I'm predicting it'll be at least 10 years before they put a shovel in the ground at Frank's old place. They are a feisty bunch in Arcadia, there will be no quick profits to be made for commercial development, maybe residential will have a shot? We'll see.
stark

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 pm

The whip restrictions approved.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... ctions_123

"Somebody has to be first"
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:53 am

Jockeys that violate the riding crop rule will be subject to a maximum fine of $1,000 and a three-day suspension.
Which means, if I'm in a G1 and I'm a jockey, the crop rule doesn't mean anything to me compared to 10% of the winners purse (unless I have some other nice stake rides lined up within the next 3 days). :lol:

In Germany you can strike with the crop 5 times, that's it. Guess what? In the derby, the winning jockey just didn't care, paid the fine (or rather the owners/trainers paid it for him) and was done with it. The fine? About 18k US$. Here's an article if anyone is interested enough to run it through google translate: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/reite ... -1.3205908

They should DQ the horse, instead of fining the jockey IMO.
stark

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:17 pm

The California horse racing industry at Santa Anita Park, reeling from a series of equine deaths and threats from state and national officials, was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing on Thursday by the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.

After a nine-month investigation, a special task force that looked into 30 deaths at Santa Anita during this year’s winter/spring meeting, issued 17-page report that “did not find evidence of criminal animal cruelty or unlawful conduct.”

The report did offer 27 recommendations, most of which have already been acted upon or were also recommended by the California Horse Racing Board.

The CHRB is also planning to issue a report, likely in January, that will include the results of necropsies on the horses.

“Greater precautions are needed to enhance safety and protect both horses and their riders,” said Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1207738972861919233
stark

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Memo to Drew Couto, attorney for Jerry Hollendorfer.

17-page report that “did not find evidence of criminal animal cruelty or unlawful conduct.”

I'm thinkin' it makes your case near impossible to fumble and lose by any reputable member of the bar.
stark

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:20 pm

77 pages for those who like delving into the deep end....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sjGdkm ... Z27X0/view

from DRF.....
No illegal medications were found in any of the 23 horses who died at Santa Anita between Dec. 30, 2018, and March 31, 2019, but 21 had “pre-existing pathology at the site of their fatal injury,” 11 had received injections of corticosteroids to the joints – two within 14 days of injury – and 39 percent of the fatalities were impacted by wet weather, according to a long-awaited report released Tuesday by the California Horse Racing Board.

Four other fatalities – three from colic, two of which were to ponies – and one incident of laminitis were not included in the report. Seven additional fatalities from March 31, 2019 through the end of the meet on June 23, 2019, were not included in the report because most were “pathologically distinct,” the report said.

According to the report, 13 of the fatalities were the result of injuries in races, 10 in workouts, 17 on dirt and six on turf. Nineteen of the 23 fatalities were the result of injuries to the fetlock, specifically sesamoid bones. All were examined via necropsies through the CHRB/University of California at Davis post-mortem program.

The 77-page document had been delayed for more than two months from when it was originally announced it would be released. Among its many findings and recommendations, it said having track veterinarians and examining veterinarians being supervised by the racing association’s racing office “poses an inherent conflict of interest.”
Perfect Soul

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:34 pm

stark wrote:

from DRF.....
No illegal medications were found in any of the 23 horses who died at Santa Anita between Dec. 30, 2018, and March 31, 2019, but 21 had “pre-existing pathology at the site of their fatal injury,” 11 had received injections of corticosteroids to the joints – two within 14 days of injury – and 39 percent of the fatalities were impacted by wet weather, according to a long-awaited report released Tuesday by the California Horse Racing Board.
No illegal medications were found in any horse run by Navarro or Servis either. These idiots don't get it. The UNDETECTABLE drugs are the problem, which is why lasix and race day medications MUST be banned. Masking agents have no place in the sport. Lasix is the biggest scam even perpetuated on horse racing. Horses run with no lasix all over the world, but in the US it is somehow required. Total joke.
Tessablue

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:06 pm

stark wrote:

from DRF.....
Haven't had the chance to read the full report and won't for a while, but I'd sure like to hear from all the people who screamed at me for stating that healthy bones don't break and close to 100% of breakdowns are preventable.
stark

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Rick Baedeker, exec dir of
@caCHRB
, said CHRB has begun investigation related Monday's arrests, potential involvement reaching CA.
Baedeker said would not comment on that investigation, but said board “retains post-race samples for two years, and can and will test retroactively.”