Stormy Liberal gets trainer switch

Charlie

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:01 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm
hadrianmarcus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm
Nothing good can come from Stormy Liberal continuing to race. But oh so much can go wrong.
Let the almost 8-year-old multi-millionare eat grass at Old Friends.
Agree. What could possibly go wrong with a horse who will be 8 in January, and has been on the track for 6 years?

This is why we need retirement plans w/funding for racehorses.

Instead, while everyone makes money, the rescue orgs who operate on donations are left to pick up the pieces and foot these bills.

We definitely aren't lacking in retirement options honestly and I agree, I don't like when people refer to OTTBs as "rescues".

You can have every place in the world offer to take the horse, but if the owners don't want to give him up, it wouldn't matter.
MySaladDays

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Charlie wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:01 pm
MySaladDays wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm
hadrianmarcus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm
Nothing good can come from Stormy Liberal continuing to race. But oh so much can go wrong.
Let the almost 8-year-old multi-millionare eat grass at Old Friends.
Agree. What could possibly go wrong with a horse who will be 8 in January, and has been on the track for 6 years?

This is why we need retirement plans w/funding for racehorses.

Instead, while everyone makes money, the rescue orgs who operate on donations are left to pick up the pieces and foot these bills.

We definitely aren't lacking in retirement options honestly and I agree, I don't like when people refer to OTTBs as "rescues".

You can have every place in the world offer to take the horse, but if the owners don't want to give him up, it wouldn't matter.
Understand about the wording. ;)

If an owner is keeping their ex-racer at their farm, or making their own arrangements for the horse to have a 2nd career as an OTTB----- then I don't call it a rescue.

If they aren't doing that, and are making someone else responsible for the after-care, re-training, and/or retirement expenses (a horse whose racing and breeding career has come to an end and/or cannot continue on to a carefully arranged 2nd career) then I call that a rescue.

At any rate, no mincing words on my part that all horses should have retirement funding because THEY EARNED IT every time they carried a jockey on their back, and run for our entertainment and wagering game. Let's not pretend that many horses leave life at the track with an uncertain future.
Treve

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:25 pm

I hate the overuse of the term rescue - it's a feel good marketing term that has branched out into its own market.

Unless the horse was in mortal danger or an abusive/neglectful situation it is not a rescue. You just bought an OTTB, or perhaps rehomed it.

An owner/trainer donating their horse to an org that rehomes, retrains or adopts out OTTBs is not a rescue situation. An owner/trainer that sells their horse to an individual is not a rescue situation.

A horse sent to a killpen or other random livestock auction bought up by an individual/org is a rescue. A horse pulled from the barn of a neglectful or abusive trainer, or breeder is a rescue. A horse found living in squalor and bought up to save them is a rescue...
RugbyGirl wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:32 pm
Random maiden race in Australia tomorrow
Race 1 - 1:00PM IGA Liquor Barwon Heads Maiden Plate (1100 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race MeetingOf $23,000.1st $12,650, 2nd $3,910, 3rd $1,840, 4th $1,035, 5th $690, 6th $575, 7th $575, 8th $575, 9th $575, 10th $575
Prize money contribution totalling 2% will be directed to jockey and equine welfare prior to distribution 
Maiden, Set Weights, Three-Years-Old, Apprentices can claim.
Ok good to know I'm not crazy and I had seen something like this in another country somewhere. Is this standard practice in Australia?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 pm

It was fun to witness imaginations running wild.

Game over.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm

stark wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 pm
It was fun to witness imaginations running wild.

Game over.
Absolutely, the trainer/Patron Saint of Equines got what h originally wanted.....everybody wins!
TapitsGal

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:25 pm

So why all the commotion and a sale? Why not just listen to Rockingham Ranch, Peter Miller and the vet and retire right off the bat and without buying out the partnership? If 3/4 of the connections are saying there's an issue up front and the horse needed retirement why not listen and just RETIRE him? Why all the fighting at first?
Curtis

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:00 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
So why all the commotion and a sale? Why not just listen to Rockingham Ranch, Peter Miller and the vet and retire right off the bat and without buying out the partnership? If 3/4 of the connections are saying there's an issue up front and the horse needed retirement why not listen and just RETIRE him? Why all the fighting at first?
There’s enough written between the lines to put Tolstoy to shame. You’ve got the 3/4 of the connections agreeing correct, though.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:32 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
Maybe he wanted a second opinion, but the others refused to pay for more tests... a fight started.... who knows.
stark

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Old Friends
@Oldfriendsfarm
·

Happy to report STORMY LIBERAL arrived this morning ⁦@ParkEquine in KY, the last leg of his journey to Old Friends. After a quick once-over he’ll join our retirees in Georgetown. Thanks to David Bernsen & David Scanlon for their care of the 2x ⁦@BreedersCup champ!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.