horses with unique coloring/facial markings

User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Grand Bernini (Shamexpress/The Opera House) won on Saturday at Kembla for China Horse Club. His record is now 11: 4-2-1.
Image
https://www.breednet.com.au/news/9148/c ... ite-wonder
https://www.picuki.com/media/2220187842957934739
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm
Here's Artful Splatter (Bandbox x Barouchka).

Image

https://mobile.twitter.com/mdhorsemen/s ... 2488050689
Artful Splatter won the 2020 Geisha Stakes!
Image
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
PlanetRock
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Mylute wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:44 am
Guess who! It's Adaaj (Violence x Sari/Cozzene) working at Saratoga! Shadwell bought him as a yearling.

Image

Photo by Penelope Miller.
Does anyone know what happened to him? I don’t see any workouts
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Mega-chromey Punctuation finished second by a nose at Kempton Racecourse today, beaten by To Nathaniel.

Can't find a picture of him. Dansili/Key Point bred and owned by The Queen. From what little I could make out from the race replay he looks like Talismanic.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Not sure the name of this horse, but here's a guy loaded with Tetrarch spots. I assume he competed in one of those trial races at the Elloree Training Center in South Carolina.
Image
https://www.facebook.com/19086625769195 ... =3&theater
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:02 pm

Ooooo...prettyyyyy.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Here's a very chromey colt by Puissance de Lune out of White Dove (High Chaparral) who sold for NZ$120K at Karaka. Consigned by Berkley Stud.
Image
https://www.facebook.com/BerkleyStud1/
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
MorganLeFay
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:28 am

Trainer Gianluca Bietolini in France has a mini Talismanic. A 3yo colt called Homesweethome by Frozen Power out of Paula d'Arcadia. So far he has placed 4th twice in three runs.

https://www.facebook.com/14777994425153 ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/14777994425153 ... =3&theater
Swiss Thoroughbred stud farm Gestüt Söhrenhof
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/soehrenhof
Instagram: @gestuet.soehrenhof
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5100
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 pm

How about 1953 Epsom Oaks winner Ambiguity?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bv2JzAvbURGLhUo37
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2892
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 pm

Starine wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 pm
How about 1953 Epsom Oaks winner Ambiguity?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bv2JzAvbURGLhUo37
Big blaze, four socks and at least one blue eye! Wonder if the other was too? 8-)
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:22 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 pm
Starine wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 pm
How about 1953 Epsom Oaks winner Ambiguity?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bv2JzAvbURGLhUo37
Big blaze, four socks and at least one blue eye! Wonder if the other was too? 8-)
First off have to say the blue eyes in black and white are kind of unsettling...
This is Ambiguity's other side, it doesn't look like it. But it looks like her filly, Miss Milesian, has at least one blue eye.

Image

Another photo of Ambiguity.
Image

Ambiguity's dam, Amber Flash, possibly has 2 blue eyes.
Image
Image
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2892
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Well that's definitely like mother, like daughter... like granddaughter. :lol:

The "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" analogy is especially appropriate with horses, I think. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 pm
Well that's definitely like mother, like daughter... like granddaughter. :lol:

The "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" analogy is especially appropriate with horses, I think. :mrgreen:
I think the coloring may have continued on for a bit. Miss Milesian has a grandson that was named Just Plain Bay, so its almost like it was odd that he was just plain bay so they named him that? But I didn't have luck finding any pictures of further generations.
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2892
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 pm

Ambiguity's wikipedia page is interesting (I know, but still)... her 1971 colt was called "Mr. Whiteface" :lol: It also says that just her left eye was blue, FWIW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiguity_(horse)

Also wonder if they were related to this doppleganger circa the mid-1800s:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/eca ... ean-n09600
John Frederick Herring Sr.
THE RACEHORSE "WHITEFACE" WITH GROOM J. GILHAM

Image
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 pm
Also wonder if they were related to this doppleganger circa the mid-1800s:

John Frederick Herring Sr.
THE RACEHORSE "WHITEFACE" WITH GROOM J. GILHAM
They aren't from the same female family which it kind of seemed like that is where the coloring came from. Though they could share a common ancestor somewhere.
I could find a picture of Amber Flash's sire, Precipitation, who is a plain chestnut with a star. Her broodmare sire, Solario, is bay with no markings.
Her granddam, Point Duty's sire, Grand Parade, is black with a star, a coronet, and a white heel.

Ambiguity's half sister, Blue Flare(by Blue Peter), has the huge blaze.
Image

To people who like looking at old pictures, I always will recommend signing up to https://sporthorse-data.com/, its free. Then just click on Database and type in a horse, of course they have more than just Thoroughbreds listed but the pictures they have are more than I can find elsewhere.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 pm

I know at some point we had a discussion about Darcy's Yellow Turk. This say its a painting of him, though I've seen him described as palomino a lot. I don't know if this is just what someone envisioned him looking like or if this is an actual painting of him.
Image
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:49 pm

Ankle Monitor (why?) ran in the Busanda Stakes. She appears to be a very pale chestnut. I can't find a picture of her but you can see her in the Busanda replays. I went back and looked at another replay of her from last year and she has the same coloration.

Daughter of Raison d'Etat sold for $3,000 as a yearling in 2018, and has now made $140K+ from four pretty nice wins.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2892
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 pm
I know at some point we had a discussion about Darcy's Yellow Turk. This say its a painting of him, though I've seen him described as palomino a lot. I don't know if this is just what someone envisioned him looking like or if this is an actual painting of him.
Image
Well for being described as a palomino a lot, the artist has chosen to paint him as... a buckskin? Or dun at the very least. :?
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:36 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 pm
Flanders wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 pm
I know at some point we had a discussion about Darcy's Yellow Turk. This say its a painting of him, though I've seen him described as palomino a lot. I don't know if this is just what someone envisioned him looking like or if this is an actual painting of him.
Image
Well for being described as a palomino a lot, the artist has chosen to paint him as... a buckskin? Or dun at the very least. :?
Yeah that is why I said they say its a painting of him. No one knows what color he was. They just speculate on his color because of his name but he was definitely a dilute and he appears in every thoroughbreds pedigree. This article is about historic dilute horses in the breed. They say they think he was buckskin but again they are just guessing as well.
https://wizzley.com/palomino-buckskin-a ... oughbreds/
User avatar
Cisco
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: France

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 pm
Ambiguity's wikipedia page is interesting (I know, but still)... her 1971 colt was called "Mr. Whiteface" :lol: It also says that just her left eye was blue, FWIW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiguity_(horse)
According to these pictures, it seems that her eyes were both blue :

Image Image
Post Reply