The Saudi cup

Northport

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 am

Katewerk wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 pm
That looks like a quality field...which IMHO is unfortunate. Saudi Arabia doesn't deserve it.
Too bad the jocks wouldn't get away with wearing armbands that say 'Remember Jamal Kashoggi.' :evil:
Take it to a non-racing thread.
lol what.
weeeeeeeee
KatieD

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:18 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 pm
Why? Does it make you uncomfortable for someone to point out that MbS is using horse racing to 'sports wash' his country's and his reputation? :roll:
This. I’m a Brit and a big fan of Magic Wand (talk about dancing every dance) but I can’t bring myself to enthuse about this race. Saudi Arabia is conducting a massive PR programme to improve its image while continuing some horrific human rights abuses. I wish more owners would take a stand and refuse to be complicit - by running their horses there they are supporting the sports washing. No international runners would make one heck of a statement.
stark

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:33 pm

KatieD wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:18 am
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 pm
Why? Does it make you uncomfortable for someone to point out that MbS is using horse racing to 'sports wash' his country's and his reputation? :roll:
This. I’m a Brit and a big fan of Magic Wand (talk about dancing every dance) but I can’t bring myself to enthuse about this race. Saudi Arabia is conducting a massive PR programme to improve its image while continuing some horrific human rights abuses. I wish more owners would take a stand and refuse to be complicit - by running their horses there they are supporting the sports washing. No international runners would make one heck of a statement.
With 23 lifetime starts already, and $4+ million in the bank, it won't be long until Magic Wand is in the shed making babies.
If you really love her, don't waste your time on the negatives in life that are so much bigger than her.
But rather, why not just sit back, relax and enjoy the show?
Saudia Arabia's problems, while well documented, are not going to end with or without this race.
Pick your battles in life, as they say it's shorter than you may think.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:45 pm

As much as I'm not a huge maximum security fan I'm thinking he may win easily here
Kurenai
Site Admin

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:44 pm

I'm not a fan of Saudi Arabia, but this is the time where I throw politics out of the window and just watch another horse race. Me not watching the race wouldn't make any difference. And it's not going to change my opinion on human rights issues either. I would not support it as in: flying over there, getting tickets etc and boost tourism for them. But I will enjoy watching the race. It's not the horses fault, where they run or for who they run.

Not a fan of Maximum Securities owner (have nothing against the horse obviously haha), but I think if he shows up with his A game, he should win this. Personally I'll be rooting for Mucho Gusto.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Those two boys (Max & Gusto) have impressed in their latest races, but I'd love to see a Midnight Bisou/Magic Wand exacta. :D
stark

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Ain't it fun to talk about just the horses!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am

We can talk about both subjects. It's also possible to chew gum and walk at the same time.
stark

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am
We can talk about both subjects. It's also possible to chew gum and walk at the same time.
As a general rule, not so true.
Conversations that turn political have a very short life span here thanks to Kurenai.
Which is a good thing according to those who remember the olde days here.
Enjoy the race!
ThreeMustangs

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:19 am

Do threats from missiles and armed UAVs from both Iran and their Houthi proxies in Yemen count as politics? Google ARAMCO attacks. The Iranians are more pissed off now because of Soleimani and they will get payback. An high-profile event with many Americans is a tempting target, not to mention the how bad the Saudis would look for failing to protect their guests.

And then there’s this link from the Saudi Cup Contact Us site:

https://help.visitsaudi.com/hc/en-us/se ... -Etiquette

I have been to Saudi Arabia for work. I could only drive on base and had to wear an abaya and be accompanied by a man off base. Of course, that’s nothing compared to what Saudi women and the poor Third Country Nationals who do all the hard work have to put up with every day.

Screw the Saudis. Shame on the American racing community for embracing this event.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:40 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Do threats from missiles and armed UAVs from both Iran and their Houthi proxies in Yemen count as politics? Google ARAMCO attacks. The Iranians are more pissed off now because of Soleimani and they will get payback. An high-profile event with many Americans is a tempting target, not to mention the how bad the Saudis would look for failing to protect their guests.

I have been to Saudi Arabia for work. I could only drive on base and had to wear an abaya and be accompanied by a man off base. Of course, that’s nothing compared to what Saudi women and the poor Third Country Nationals who do all the hard work have to put up with every day.

Screw the Saudis. Shame on the American racing community for embracing this event.
It's a shame Leni Riefenstahl isn't still alive to film this event in all of its glory for posterity. "The Triumph of the Wand!" I like it! But would she have had to be chaperoned by her mustachioed friend at all times?
stark

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:

You might want to consider sharing this message here https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g ... rabia.html
They're currently discussing everything from alcohol to burkinis over there, no horses though.
Mylute

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:18 pm

"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Starine

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 pm

Are McKinzie and Midnight Bisou the only two running off of the layoff? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on whether that makes them an automatic toss or not.
TapitsGal

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 pm

The first contingent of American horses has arrived
Flanders

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:00 am

Starine wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 pm
Are McKinzie and Midnight Bisou the only two running off of the layoff? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on whether that makes them an automatic toss or not.
Depends how long you deem a layoff, there are 5 that will be 12+ weeks since their last races. They are mostly are normal just winter breaks. Tacitus is the one coming off a layoff to me. Horses have won the Dubai World Cup having not ran that year and its ran later. The break since the Breeders Cup alone wouldn't be an automatic toss to me.

Chrysoberyl (last race December 1)
Maximum Security (last race December 7)
McKinzie (last race November 2)
Midnight Bisou (last race November 2)
Tacitus (last race September 28)

These 2 will be at 8-9 weeks:
Gift Box (last race December 28 )
Gold Dream (last race December 29)
stark

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am

This has nothing to do with horse racing (well, maybe kinda sorta)
But you might find it interesting if you follow professional golf.
The quote about money from Rory Mcilroy is pretty priceless.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/rory-mcil ... lf-league/
Starine

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks for the last-out dates, Flanders. I had completely forgotten Tacitus was running. He was a frustrating horse to follow last season and it would be a pleasant surprise if he had a breakout year at 4. I was a bit surprised Juddmonte and Mott were planning to bring him back in this spot but I hope it means they expect a big effort.
Flanders

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Starine wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 pm
Thanks for the last-out dates, Flanders. I had completely forgotten Tacitus was running. He was a frustrating horse to follow last season and it would be a pleasant surprise if he had a breakout year at 4. I was a bit surprised Juddmonte and Mott were planning to bring him back in this spot but I hope it means they expect a big effort.
It makes sense for Juddmonte to support the race since Prince Khalid bin Abdullah is part of the Saudi Arabian Royal Family.
Starine

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:22 pm

Flanders wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 pm
It makes sense for Juddmonte to support the race since Prince Khalid bin Abdullah is part of the Saudi Arabian Royal Family.
Sure, but it is an awful tough spot to make a return. I hope the time off has served him well and even beyond the Saudi Cup I hope he has a more productive season as an older horse.