2020 Older Horses

BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10682
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:49 pm

Turns out that Benbatl runs pretty well on dirt as well as turf. :D
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... es-record/
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Legit was a stewards scratch.

Benbatl was very impressive.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:49 pm

By My Standards Makes Successful 2020 Debut
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... 2020-debut
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Uriah St. Lewis confirms Discreet Lover has returned to training and is targeting a summer start, if all goes well.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... or-gotham/
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 pm

Dallas Stewart, Now Training ‘Toddy,’ Thinking Long Range With 2019 Rebel Winner
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... el-winner/
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:58 pm
Dallas Stewart, Now Training ‘Toddy,’ Thinking Long Range With 2019 Rebel Winner
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... el-winner/
Thanks for posting this; I had been wondering what became of him. Hope the trainer switch can turn him around.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3623
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Starine wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:28 pm
Hofburg will return to the races in February or March.
I missed watching the race but he didn't finish in the first 4 in the Mineshaft Stakes (Gr. 3) at Fairgrounds. I think he finished 7th of 9.
Last edited by Flanders on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Firenze Fire won the G3 General George.

Such a classy guy!
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Gunnevera Returns to Work Tab at Gulfstream Park West
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -park-west
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Remember 2018 Claiborne Breeders' Futurity (G1) winner Knicks Go? He just ran off with an allowance at Oaklawn by 7-1/2. First start for new owners and trainer Brad Cox.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... klawn-park
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 4918
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Starine wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 pm
Remember 2018 Claiborne Breeders' Futurity (G1) winner Knicks Go? He just ran off with an allowance at Oaklawn by 7-1/2. First start for new owners and trainer Brad Cox.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... klawn-park
Equibase still says owned by KRA?
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 pm
Starine wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 pm
Remember 2018 Claiborne Breeders' Futurity (G1) winner Knicks Go? He just ran off with an allowance at Oaklawn by 7-1/2. First start for new owners and trainer Brad Cox.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... klawn-park
Equibase still says owned by KRA?
Good catch.

Per Cox, the horse may return in the Essex next month, but is more likely to return in April in the Oaklawn Handicap or Oaklawn Mile.
thinair
Posts: 1816
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:20 am

I bet you see him in the Oaklawn Mile, as assuming Warrior's Charge is pointing towards the Oaklawn Handicap, you would think Cox would want to keep them apart. While Warrior's Charge seems the better horse, the speed of Knicks Go would only get in the way of Warrior's Charge's preferred running style. Interesting situation given the different owners.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 pm

thinair wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:20 am
I bet you see him in the Oaklawn Mile, as assuming Warrior's Charge is pointing towards the Oaklawn Handicap, you would think Cox would want to keep them apart. While Warrior's Charge seems the better horse, the speed of Knicks Go would only get in the way of Warrior's Charge's preferred running style. Interesting situation given the different owners.
Right. I'm sure Cox would prefer to keep them separated. I know the Essex is unlikely because it didn't sound like Cox wanted to wheel him back that quickly.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm

Classic Winners War of Will, Sir Winston Breeze
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ton-breeze

I knew Sir Winston was getting ready for Dubai, but I was surprised to read War of Will be returning to turf.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3623
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Starine wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm
Classic Winners War of Will, Sir Winston Breeze
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ton-breeze

I knew Sir Winston was getting ready for Dubai, but I was surprised to read War of Will be returning to turf.
So I'll say first I like turf racing but it still puzzles me why they would want him to have a G1 win on the turf, when I would think getting G1 wins on the dirt would make his stud deal worth more. Is it so they could market him as, "the only War Front to win G1s on the dirt and turf"?
Modern Renaissance
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Flanders wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:27 pm
Starine wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm
Classic Winners War of Will, Sir Winston Breeze
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ton-breeze

I knew Sir Winston was getting ready for Dubai, but I was surprised to read War of Will be returning to turf.
So I'll say first I like turf racing but it still puzzles me why they would want him to have a G1 win on the turf, when I would think getting G1 wins on the dirt would make his stud deal worth more. Is it so they could market him as, "the only War Front to win G1s on the dirt and turf"?
I would normally agree with this except I feel like the stigma is lessening these days. NYRA in particular has done a really good job incentivizing it. Does he have a stud deal in place already? I think if he gets another G1 on the turf it might broaden his appeal a little. It's not like he has done anything on the US main in a long time.

War of Will has some real high knee action that I've been wondering when they might try this.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Flanders wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:27 pm
Starine wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm
Classic Winners War of Will, Sir Winston Breeze
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ton-breeze

I knew Sir Winston was getting ready for Dubai, but I was surprised to read War of Will be returning to turf.
So I'll say first I like turf racing but it still puzzles me why they would want him to have a G1 win on the turf, when I would think getting G1 wins on the dirt would make his stud deal worth more. Is it so they could market him as, "the only War Front to win G1s on the dirt and turf"?
I guess so -- maybe more breeders are looking at the Yoshida dirt-n-turf angle? 8-) Hell if I know.

Although, Modern Renaissance, it is important to note that War of Will started his career on grass.
Modern Renaissance
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:42 pm

Oh, absolutely. He wasn't that great then either. I think he's a tough horse to figure out in general, but he's been underperforming (or was the Preakness just a bad field?) for awhile. Maybe the switch will mix things up.

A new barn might too but meh.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 3623
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:48 pm

Starine wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:36 pm
Flanders wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:27 pm
Starine wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm
Classic Winners War of Will, Sir Winston Breeze
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ton-breeze

I knew Sir Winston was getting ready for Dubai, but I was surprised to read War of Will be returning to turf.
So I'll say first I like turf racing but it still puzzles me why they would want him to have a G1 win on the turf, when I would think getting G1 wins on the dirt would make his stud deal worth more. Is it so they could market him as, "the only War Front to win G1s on the dirt and turf"?
I guess so -- maybe more breeders are looking at the Yoshida dirt-n-turf angle? 8-) Hell if I know.

Although, Modern Renaissance, it is important to note that War of Will started his career on grass.
Yeah and he couldn't win on the turf. As soon as they switched him to dirt he started winning. I mean either way I wish him success, doesn't matter to me where he runs, just thought it was strange they'd go for turf when I think he is more talented on the dirt.
Post Reply