In Memoriam 2014

serenassong

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:12 am

TapitsGal wrote:From Showjumper McLain Ward's facebook page:

With a very heavy heart I have to share that 'Sara' has passed away this morning due to complications from colic. Our entire Castle Hill family and every person she has touched has lost a great friend. Thank you Sara not just for all the dreams you made come true but simply for being who you were. You always will be my champion in every way. God speed good friend."

"Sara" is the barn name for McLain's beautiful champion show jumper Sapphire
How sad- and the farm is not all that far from me. In reading the article(I think the link is one FB- read it somewhere), she has foals via transfer and 2 clones.

May she R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
second_glance

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

Terrible news out of Woodbine this morning than an exercise rider was killed when a horse collapsed on him. The horse, a filly, also died. Names are floating around, but I'm waiting for a more official statement.

Edited to add: The horse was 3yo Tawney's Wish, who had had one start.

Edited to add: The rider was Mourad Boudra, a Moroccan immigrant who'd worked at the track for several years. The trainer quoted in the article says he was one of the best: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/06 ... track.html
Catalina

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 am

second_glance wrote:Terrible news out of Woodbine this morning than an exercise rider was killed when a horse collapsed on him. The horse, a filly, also died. Names are floating around, but I'm waiting for a more official statement.

Edited to add: The rider was Mourad Boudra, a Moroccan immigrant who'd worked at the track for several years. The trainer quoted in the article says he was one of the best: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/06 ... track.html
May they both RIP.
Last edited by Catalina on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
second_glance

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:16 pm

second_glance wrote:Terrible news out of Woodbine this morning than an exercise rider was killed when a horse collapsed on him. The horse, a filly, also died. Names are floating around, but I'm waiting for a more official statement.

This is the young man killed this morning: Mourad Boudraa.

serenassong

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:57 am

May they R. I. P.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 am

Cole Forty Five on June 20th at SA- from CHRB minutes:

"As the field entered the backstretch of the one mile turf race, #8 COLE FORTY FIVE suffered a severe injury to the left front leg. The rider Kayla Stra attempted to pull the horse up, however, in doing so she lost her balance and fell.
Jockey/Driver condition – Examined by paramedics – transported to Arcadia Methodist Hospital for observation; appeared to be uninjured
Horse condition – Fractured sesamoids left front, euthanized by the trainer’s practicing veterinarian."

R. I. P.
peeptoad

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:31 pm

RIP Roses for Romney. Broke down in race 8 at Belmont. Euthanized per TVG.
second_glance

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 am

2yo Ms. Clampett pulled up and vanned off during her first start yesterday @ DEL -- euthanized today. She was by Awesome of Course and out of a Smarty Jones mare -- Fancy and Smart.
second_glance

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am

Very sad. Lesstalk in Paris, runner-up in the Coronation Stakes just a week ago, has died in France. No details yet.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... t7DaysNews
Catalina

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:11 am

second_glance wrote:Very sad. Lesstalk in Paris, runner-up in the Coronation Stakes just a week ago, has died in France. No details yet.

Article now includes "during a veterinary examination being undertaken with view to a sale of the filly."

May she RIP.
Izvestia

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Don't know if this has been reported, but Unknown Road (Bernardini-Banshee Winds) died.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... n-avoided/
Catalina

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Catalina wrote:
second_glance wrote:Very sad. Lesstalk in Paris, runner-up in the Coronation Stakes just a week ago, has died in France. No details yet.

Article now includes "during a veterinary examination being undertaken with view to a sale of the filly."

May she RIP.
Not sure if I am translating this right, but it sounds to me like a bad hemorrhage that left them no choice but to euthanize.

http://www.paris-turf.com/index.php/act ... siee-74095
serenassong

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Put it into Google Translate and that is what it said. Wonder if they were scoping her and something went very wrong? Would think that if she had an active bleed, she would have showed some kind of sign.

R. I. P.
Catalina

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:13 pm

serenassong wrote:Put it into Google Translate and that is what it said. Wonder if they were scoping her and something went very wrong? Would think that if she had an active bleed, she would have showed some kind of sign.

R. I. P.
Something going wrong during the scoping would also be my guess.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Good God...what would you do to a vet whose incompetence basically killed your prized filly? Sue him for malpractice? Get him blacklisted at every track in Europe? Or (my inclination) beat him bloody with the scope tubing?
Ugh. :evil: That poor filly.
Flanders

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:14 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Good God...what would you do to a vet whose incompetence basically killed your prized filly? Sue him for malpractice? Get him blacklisted at every track in Europe? Or (my inclination) beat him bloody with the scope tubing?
What if the filly freaked out for some reason and flipped over?
Catalina

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Flanders wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Good God...what would you do to a vet whose incompetence basically killed your prized filly? Sue him for malpractice? Get him blacklisted at every track in Europe? Or (my inclination) beat him bloody with the scope tubing?
What if the filly freaked out for some reason and flipped over?
There's another French website that ascribes the cause as "mauvaise manipulation vétérinaire".
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:39 pm

mauvaise manip.....error; bad move; mistake

I think that makes it pretty clear that the vet screwed up.
Tubing, beat with.
second_glance

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:02 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:mauvaise manip.....error; bad move; mistake

I think that makes it pretty clear that the vet screwed up.
Tubing, beat with.
Have seen one source saying it was a perforated rectum -- but have yet to see any official word. Which, yes, would be a massive screw-up.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Perforated rectum!? What sort of pre-sale vet exam would involve her rectum? Or were the buyers checking to see if her reproductive tract was healthy...and somehow that exam pierced her rectum? Which would, I presume, also mean that her vaginal surface was also perforated?
That poor, poor filly.