TV Discussion Thread

starrydreamer

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Yeah yeah Game of Thrones is back and holy cow blah blah

But does anyone else watch Jane the Virgin? Because the episode this week brought back the love triangle and I have feelings about this show again.
starrydreamer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:22 am

Um okay. So Game of Thrones on Sunday night... :shock: :o
Big Ten

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:58 pm

"Melisandre in the clutch!"

"What are you doing, Bran? Oh, he's watching the Avengers."

https://youtu.be/4paMhG7XsnI

1. The Long Night
2. Battle of the Bastards
3. The Watchers on the Wall
4. Hardhome
5. The Rains of Castamere
6. The Spoils of War
7. The Winds of Winter

Four of the Top 7 were all directed by Miguel Sapochnik. His first one, The Gift, was great too thanks to Tyene Sand and Tyrion and Dany meeting for the first time.

Danaerys is going to win. It's as clear as day. Much clearer than The Long Night episode! Thank you Melisandre and the dragons for improving that episode's lighting! A better ending is if both Arya and The Night King died. Arya doesn't have much story to tell.

I'm not into Dany or Jon. I'm actually a Cersei fan. But the more I thought about it, the more I want the happy ending for these characters. And the only way is if Cersei dies. So the most predictable conclusion is Cersei gets killed and they all live happily ever after.

The more ideal queen is actually Sansa. Not Cersei or Dany. We started from the perspective of the Starks, so it makes sense a Stark girl rules. Sansa is more level-headed. Has shown more compassion. Look what she did to Jaime and Theon.

I hated Sansa in the beginning and loved Arya since the first ever episode. But now it's reversed. Like Emilia, I don't find Maisie a very good actress and I find Arya a fan-service character. I stopped caring for Arya after that "No One" episode after she defeated The Waif in the dark.

I want Sansa to be the queen because I don't believe Jon (Aegon) wants the throne. He's like Jaime. He's a fighter. A soldier. So he will let Dany be queen if Cersei is defeated. Cersei does have the upper-hand with her armies.

My ideal conclusion? Both Cersei and Dany die. Jon lets Sansa be the queen. Only makes sense a Stark girl wins at the end.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
starrydreamer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:48 pm

I've been more a fan of Arya since she came back to Westeros. I didn't much care for her storyline overseas, although I suppose it made her a stone cold killer. But Gendry likes her and I like Gendry and he seems to have survived, so I guess she's alright.

Sansa bugged me in the first season but she quickly grew on me.

I really don't much care who ends up on the Iron Throne as long as it's not Cersei or friggin Euron. Maybe Ghost should be king.
greyhorse

Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm

I asked my Facebook friends for their answers for the following categories: Favorite scene, worst scene, saddest scene, and most underrated scene.

Mine were:

Favorite: Dragons above the clouds.

Worst: When the corpses claw their way out of the graves and the people just scream and run around instead of fighting back. Those things must be so deteriorated by now you can just punch them to pieces.

Saddest: "You're a good man. Thank you."

Underrated: Jon trying to fight his way to Bran, ignoring Sam and the others that need help. Unlike many other times, he has such command over his emotions in that moment, to focus only on what needs to be done to save humanity.

Also, shoutout to realistic deaths, that they didn't get a last word in to the person holding them, they just gurgled and died.
greyhorse

Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Big Ten wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Four of the Top 7 were all directed by Miguel Sapochnik. His first one, The Gift, was great too thanks to Tyene Sand and Tyrion and Dany meeting for the first time.

The more ideal queen is actually Sansa. Not Cersei or Dany. We started from the perspective of the Starks, so it makes sense a Stark girl rules. Sansa is more level-headed. Has shown more compassion. Look what she did to Jaime and Theon.

I hated Sansa in the beginning and loved Arya since the first ever episode. But now it's reversed. Like Emilia, I don't find Maisie a very good actress and I find Arya a fan-service character. I stopped caring for Arya after that "No One" episode after she defeated The Waif in the dark.

I want Sansa to be the queen because I don't believe Jon (Aegon) wants the throne. He's like Jaime. He's a fighter. A soldier. So he will let Dany be queen if Cersei is defeated. Cersei does have the upper-hand with her armies.

My ideal conclusion? Both Cersei and Dany die. Jon lets Sansa be the queen. Only makes sense a Stark girl wins at the end.
Sapochnik is my favorite of the GOT directors. I still haven't seen anything to beat "Hardhome." "Battle of the Bastards" was the best battle ever filmed for TV (I won't give it best ever - that belongs to LOTR).

Agree about Sansa. A lot of people can see that outcome, because she's been groomed for it. But I still love Arya. She and Jon have always been my favorite show characters (Jaqen H'ghar's my favorite in the books). The series has gotten more cliche once it passed the books, but it's still tremendously entertaining, has some great acting, cinematography, music and I care so much about the characters. It can't end any worse than "Lost"!
greyhorse

Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:48 pm
I really don't much care who ends up on the Iron Throne as long as it's not Cersei or friggin Euron. Maybe Ghost should be king.
Same! Ever since the first scene of the series, I was always most worried about the Whitewalkers. Now that that threat is (at least apparently) gone, it's just politics. I suppose I'll watch in hopes my favorite characters survive the near future to live out happier days.
Somnambulist

Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm

The writing is so bad lol. It's horrific. If it wasn't so close to the end I'd stop watching.

It's the greatest story no one wanted to finish properly -- the author or the HBO writers.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
sweettalk

Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 am

Somnambulist wrote:
The writing is so bad lol. It's horrific. If it wasn't so close to the end I'd stop watching.

It's the greatest story no one wanted to finish properly -- the author or the HBO writers.
christ, thank you. here's just one tiny example i made earlier...

SPOILER CUT
I MEAN IT
THAR BE THE SPOILS

missandei is the one who is captured and killed. WHY? "well, to hurt dany and break their morale!"
suggestion: capture and kill grey worm. hurts dany? check. kills morale? check. added bonus? her best fighter and the leader of what's left of her armies, the leader that could teach late-joiners a few new things, is no longer on the table. no leader has caused many great armies to fall.

but no no, let's kill missandei because... ??
starrydreamer

Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

So true.

Dammit, I like how Lost ended. I hated the middle seasons of the show but I thought the last season was fairly strong.

I much prefer when writers (both of tv and book series) know at least the direction they want to go. The problem GoT and Lost had was that they both started with a premise and then mapped it out only partway. Even if you don't know exactly how you want the story to end, map out what you want to do with characters and what kind of development you want them to have. I think that's why I liked The Good Wife - with the exception of Will's death, which I don't think they anticipated originally, they knew what they wanted to do with Alicia, the main character. And they ended when THEY wanted to end, not when the network wanted them to end.

But then again, I'm also a fiction writer, so...
Somnambulist

Mon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I grew up playing war games. You don't just destroy your calvary like that. Why are there no scouts going into Dragonstone? What was the entire point of the White Walkers then!

I hate what they've made Dany. She would never beg. I just don't know what they're doing. It feels like the scifi my dad watches at 3am to decompress after work. I get how hard it is to maintain enthusiasm over a number of years and don't even mind bad endings (The Dark Tower anyone?). But this just makes no sense. GoT was refreshing because it didn't fall victim to stereotypical fantasy tropes and it's doing that in spades now.

Two years and this is what you give us. I'm honestly heart broken. I love the story so much.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 06, 2019 3:02 pm

The lack of sound battle strategy at Winterfell was bad enough, but it's gotten worse. For characters who grew up with wars and battles, Dany and her advisors seem to have gotten stupid and forgetful.
I mean, doesn't Dany remember the Scorpion catapult spear that wounded Drogon in the "Loot Train" episode? Didn't anyone think that Cersei would have had more built, maybe bigger and more effective?
Or that her enemies would figure that she would return to Dragonstone, and possibly try to set up an ambush? And yet neither she nor her dragons spotted those big-ass war ships waiting for them? If the sailors firing the catapults could see the dragons to aim at them, then why didn't Dany and the dragons see them?
Good grief.
I've loved the show since the beginning, but making these characters suddenly so dumb is not what I waited two years for. :evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Well....THAT happened. :o :shock:
So....who do you think may have the dubious honor of 'fixing' that 'mistake?' :?
starrydreamer

Tue May 14, 2019 10:59 am

Ugh, right? I'm more looking forward to this week's Grey's Anatomy season finale than the Game of Thrones finale. That's just messed up.
greyhorse

Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Well I didn't think it was bad. I think people just can't be pleased anymore. There's a plot twist, it's too "rushed" or "out of character." There's not a plot twist and things go how they're supposed to in fairytale land, and it's "fan service." "Game of Thrones" is its own worst enemy for having changed how people expect to be surprised by a plotline. I've never been a Dany fan, so I wasn't soul crushed by what happened, but the way they showed what the people on the ground went through had impact. The music, set, costumes, makeup, cinematography and acting were all top notch, and the writing wasn't garbage. No, this season isn't the best, but it's had its moments, and I'm going to be super sad when it's over. It's the only series I've followed within the past decade. I just a movie snob and think most TV programming is crap. But this show has upped the ante.
greyhorse

Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Found a review I agree with, this line in particular: "'Game of Thrones' is doing what it's always done. Making us angry when things don't go the way we want."

Ozzy Man Reviews: Game of Thrones - Season 8 Episode 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uNgQ-lK9ks

It's like they went a couple seasons without any major shakeups, and people got complacent and forgot what it's always been.
sweettalk

Sat May 18, 2019 8:34 pm

tl;dr - the GoT ending as a summary is perfectly fine. the GoT ending's details are a hot dumpster fire.

it has nothing to do with what i want not happening making it terrible. here's another example;

cersei dies: good
cersei dies, killed by a crumbling tower that she and jaime both didn't stop to consider might kill them while he apparently is so dumb he had no back up plan in case this exit was inaccessible: bad

the night king and his army defeated: good
the night king and his army defeated in a single overnight battle because he stopped to oggle bran for too long: bad

rhaegal dies: well i hate dead dragons but his death served a purpose
rhaegal dies because dollar store jack sparrow landed 3 perfect shots from around a rock that apparently obscured him from arial view but didn't impede his line of sight, followed by his crew suddenly missing 500 times when the target is within 3 feet of them: bad

the end result is fine. there's nothing wrong with it. but when we get to the end result due to rushed writing that doesn't even make sense in a lot of cases, then we complain. i guess you could argue jaime's ending being one of those things we didn't want, but we didn't want it because it's just terrible writing that wasted 6 seasons of character building and ultimately makes no sense at all except for trying to one up M Night's "what a twist!" theme. It was so forced, and brienne... suddenly went from a strong woman to a blubbering baby? would it not have been more realistic for her to cry angrily and yell at him "fine, go! i hope you die down there!"?

edit; and all the plotlines that went nowhere and characters that had no use (the voice from varys' burned "parts" and the other red priestess, kinvara). aaand where's the stark cousin who breastfed til he was 18?

edit; bran is 500% useless. was gonna say 600% but hey, he at least went back in time to reverse engineer himself a better wheelchair. good job, bran.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 18, 2019 9:30 pm

That ^^^^^^^!
Except for the pretty wonderful "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms," everything about this season has felt rushed. After so many seasons with layers of mythologies and prophecies, how can we be about to end this series (in 80 minutes?) with so many loose ends? It's like the writers just went for shortcuts, no matter how WTF they were.
What about The Lord of Light? Has that god just thrown its hands up and said, 'well, the Night King is dead, so I'm out of here?' What about Jon's resurrection? He didn't kill the Night King, so did the god bring him back from the dead just for chuckles?
Or will that come into play tomorrow night? Will Dany decide to execute her former lover (and fellow Targaryen) when Jon upbraids her for the King's Landing massacre...but Drogon's fire has the same effect on Jon as it has had on Dany?
That would be interesting. Which means it won't happen. :roll:
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sun May 19, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tessablue

Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm

As someone who absolutely loved the books and the early show (and held viewing parties in my dorm room for Season 2, to the derision of many of my classmates), this has been surreal to witness. I started to get concerned about the writing in Season 3, fell out of love by Season 4, and started to actively loathe it in Season 5. But by that point it was a major culture phenomenon, and the friends and family who used to make fun of me for watching the "dragon show" instead became really upset when I suggested that the writing had serious issues with character consistency, logic, and misogyny.

So after literal years of being banned in most of my social circles from saying anything negative about the show, it's wild to watch all of the worst habits of the writing- signpost plotting where big events matter more than details or motivations, character stupidity when the plot demands it, lack of respect for female characters- finally illuminated by the public discourse. And it does seem as though this season fell apart as a consequence of its ridiculous pace, which forced a lot of these issues out into the open while giving the impression that the writers are over it and just want to move on.

To be clear, I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying it or for continuing to enjoy it. I really wanted this season to be awesome, because I prefer it when people are happy and I know how many people were looking forward to this season (my students were so excited for it). But on the other hand, I'm really glad that the writers aren't being let off the hook for this, and I'm encouraged by the many thoughtful conversations I've seen spring up around it. If it gets people thinking and talking more about how to write believable character arcs, and women characters in general, then I'd still call it a net win.

But that's easy to say as someone who hasn't enjoyed it in years, and it is sad to think about how many people now can't go back and enjoy something they loved because the final season rendered so much of what came before it irrelevant. I'm so unhappy that these guys got a Star Wars trilogy.
sweettalk

Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 am

Tessablue wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm
snipped cuz this was a lot to quote, just wanted you to see this