Dubai World Cup canceled

Flanders

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:38 am

Dubai World Cup canceled, to bad they waited so long, I'm sure most of the horses are there already.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... o-covid-19
CoronadosQuest

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:06 am

Yikes! And according to Casse, he was told they have to leave within the next 2 days. Some of the horses arrived not that long ago.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... o-covid-19
"We only found out about (the cancelation) about 15 minutes ago," Casse said when reached by phone Sunday morning. "We sent somebody over with (the horse) and they're telling him if he doesn't get out of there in two days, who knows when he'll get out.
Northport

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:10 am

They should have cancelled last week, but at least they made the right decision. Hopefully Sheikh Mo and Emirates Air make it as easy for horses to leave the UAE as they do to enter the country.
weeeeeeeee
ThreeMustangs

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am

Northport wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:10 am
They should have cancelled last week, but at least they made the right decision. Hopefully Sheikh Mo and Emirates Air make it as easy for horses to leave the UAE as they do to enter the country.
Probably a lot easier than his daughters or wives....
TapitsGal

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Feedback so far from the trainers is they are NOT happy..can't say I blame them..they were given 48 hours to make arrangements for flights home(not an easy task given the slim pickings of international flights currently) and have been told they must leave the horses behind until they ship home April 5th(the European horses leave today). Baffert rumor has it is NOT happy about being told mucho gusto must remain behind without his regular groom and rumor has it, has said he refuses to abide by that restriction..also the trainers are being told that upon arrival in the USA they must self quarantine for 14 days..I'm seeing comments on Facebook that it was irresponsible of the trainers to ship over and they should not have gone..but for horses like Mckinzie? Mucho Gusto, Tacitus who shipped right to Meydan from Riadyh... what choice did they have? Its starting to look like Maximum Security and Midnight Bisou and the Aiden O'Brien contingent dodged a major bullet.. although given the latest drama in the Maximum Security camp I'm not sure the Dubai officials would've permitted him to race anyway...it also sounds like many of the American horses might've been without riders as the jockeys were struggling to find flights to Dubai
lurkey mclurker

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Many of Japan's horses, including their top filly Almond Eye, are still awaiting flights home as well. :(
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:21 pm

TapitsGal wrote:
Feedback so far from the trainers is they are NOT happy..can't say I blame them..they were given 48 hours to make arrangements for flights home(not an easy task given the slim pickings of international flights currently) and have been told they must leave the horses behind until they ship home April 5th(the European horses leave today). Baffert rumor has it is NOT happy about being told mucho gusto must remain behind without his regular groom and rumor has it, has said he refuses to abide by that restriction..also the trainers are being told that upon arrival in the USA they must self quarantine for 14 days..I'm seeing comments on Facebook that it was irresponsible of the trainers to ship over and they should not have gone..but for horses like Mckinzie? Mucho Gusto, Tacitus who shipped right to Meydan from Riadyh... what choice did they have? Its starting to look like Maximum Security and Midnight Bisou and the Aiden O'Brien contingent dodged a major bullet.. although given the latest drama in the Maximum Security camp I'm not sure the Dubai officials would've permitted him to race anyway...it also sounds like many of the American horses might've been without riders as the jockeys were struggling to find flights to Dubai
I happened to be monitoring FlightRadar24.com, which tracks air traffic around the world, on Monday, and saw two Emirates flights on the radar over North America, one heading for New York, the other to Orlando. I immediately thought, "Bet there are horses aboard!"
TapitsGal

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:26 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:21 pm
TapitsGal wrote:
I happened to be monitoring FlightRadar24.com, which tracks air traffic around the world, on Monday, and saw two Emirates flights on the radar over North America, one heading for New York, the other to Orlando. I immediately thought, "Bet there are horses aboard!"
Other news articles I read said the American horses aren't slated to leave until April 4th? April 5th?
Flanders

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:41 pm

They completely closed the airports in UAE on Tuesday. There are no flights for the next 2 weeks at least. Anyone who didn't get out or couldn't get their horses out, they are stuck there.

Imperial Hint, Mucho Gusto, Shotski, Tacitus and War Story have expedited rushes in progress so they might have gotten them out but they don't have Returns yet, will check again in a few days. I can't remember the rest of the US horses that were over there but can check if I have names. Wildman Jack doesn't so don't think he was shipped.
Northport

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 pm

I wonder if Godolphin has already shipped their 100+ horses that winter in Dubai back to Newmarket. Though I guess any government regulations or restrictions in the UAE don’t apply to Sheikh Mohammed.

Not that there is any racing happening in the UK either, but I can’t imagine exercising Thoroughbreds in the desert in May or June is pleasant.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Wonder if War Story made it out before the travel ban.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Flanders

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:11 pm

There is an article on Paulick that says the US horses returned from Dubai on Thursday the 26th. But the only horse they talk about is Shotski, I would assume the rest that have "Expedited Rush Fee Received and in progress" are also back.
TapitsGal

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm

I saw pictures on the Morrisey Horse Pullman's Facebook page of mucho gusto and the other Dubai world cup horses having been loaded on the horse vans after arriving in the USA...those owners and trainers must be super relieved