Gulfstream threatens legal action if forced to shut down racing

Modern Renaissance

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am

Shame them on social media. That seems to be the only way companies seem to do anything.
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 am

Ohhh the choices we make when our government allows us to......
I saw WAAAAAYYYYY more people at Costco yesterday than I've seen at a racetrack in the past five years!

Maybe if Gulfstream was in a proven hot-spot like New York then the government should intervene and shut it down, otherwise I'm with the business owner making the decision and the public voting with their participation....or not.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:16 am

Modern Renaissance wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am
Shame them on social media. That seems to be the only way companies seem to do anything.
Sounds like something PETA would say.
I say if you're not personally impacted why not try live and let live rather than playing cop who knows everything?
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm

Just announced by
@GulfstreamPark
officials that the Rainbow 6 will be forced out Saturday, Florida Derby Day. Jackpot stands at more than $1.3 million when racing resumes today at 1 ET.
katmandu

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 pm

stark wrote:
I say if you're not personally impacted why not try live and let live rather than playing cop who knows everything?
This is amazingly naïve or obtuse. Your choice of idioms is amazingly ironic.
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:34 pm

katmandu wrote:
stark wrote:
One of the advantages of not living in North Korea.
Horsebagger

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:01 pm

stark wrote:
katmandu wrote:
stark wrote:
I just wish they'd be honest about whether they're running the Pyongyang Handicap or not. It's impossible to make shippins plans without an honest announcement one can rely on.
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:01 pm
stark wrote:
katmandu wrote:

I just wish they'd be honest about whether they're running the Pyongyang Handicap or not. It's impossible to make shippins plans without an honest announcement one can rely on.
Sent note to TVG for confirmation, they're sending Shrupp to broadcast it so they'll know.
Apollo

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:53 pm

stark wrote:
I saw WAAAAAYYYYY more people at Costco yesterday than I've seen at a racetrack in the past five years!

Maybe if Gulfstream was in a proven hot-spot like New York then the government should intervene and shut it down, otherwise I'm with the business owner making the decision and the public voting with their participation....or not.
The public are ignoramuses. That's the issue...protecting the non-ignoramuses from the ignoramuses. This is going to spread exponentially for months. Certain media fed the ignoramuses. The ignoramus devotees were actually stupid enough to follow along and dismiss this as nothing. Naturally the ignoramus mindset now refuses to believe that it was far beyond what they were being told and conditioned to believe. So no kidding the ignoramus type is still traipsing around in denial.

Bill Gates' quote from yesterday was wonderful, " ‘There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people, “Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, [and] ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe a politician who thinks GDP growth is all that counts.”

If Gulfstream pushes this theme then it no longer exists to me. I love litmus tests.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Gulfstream is closed to the public, isn't it?
What if racing continues, allowing only essential personnel on track and maintaining as much social distancing as possible? Wouldn't that be a way to continue providing employment to a lot of folks who need it? :?
The grooms, exercise riders and other essential staff still need to be there to take care of the horses. Putting on a race card should only add riders, trainers, gate crew and safety personnel (sorry, no owners and crowded winner's circle pix). I think they're already enacting safety protocols, as the Gulfstream races I saw last weekend showed the gate crews with gloves and masks.
Flanders

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Apollo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:53 pm
stark wrote:

The public are ignoramuses. That's the issue...protecting the non-ignoramuses from the ignoramuses. This is going to spread exponentially for months. Certain media fed the ignoramuses. The ignoramus devotees were actually stupid enough to follow along and dismiss this as nothing. Naturally the ignoramus mindset now refuses to believe that it was far beyond what they were being told and conditioned to believe. So no kidding the ignoramus type is still traipsing around in denial.

Bill Gates' quote from yesterday was wonderful, " ‘There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people, “Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, [and] ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe a politician who thinks GDP growth is all that counts.”

If Gulfstream pushes this theme then it no longer exists to me. I love litmus tests.
That's it too. People are straight stupid. They can't see the big picture, they are ignorant and selfish. The people who insist on going out and not distancing, on partying, on ignoring everything, then saying something stupid like "Oh but they said the young were immune". Sorry princess they never said that. They said its more dangerous to elderly and people with underlying health conditions but even when they said that, they had blinders on. If everyone gets it at once, the death rate will be staggering because the health system simply can't handle it. One only needs to look at the heartbreaking stories coming out of Italy to see that. That the doctors have to choose who lives and dies because there just isn't enough beds and respirators. The health care workers are going to mentally scarred, wracked with guilt, and PTSD, over having to literally chose who lives and dies because there isn't enough equipment to save everyone. And that's the saddest thing, they would have been able to save so many more but they just don't have the means to do so.
TapitsGal

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm

The Florida Derby has traditionally been a pretty major derby prep...if they can run it behind closed doors then why not? As others have stated...the horses still need to be cared for and ridden and as my friend states(she'd rather get sick for a couple weeks then get injured and be off her horse for months because she wasn't able to ride and is now stuck with a high strung string of thoroughbreds who haven't worked in weeks)
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:36 pm

There's still ways to race while being safe.

Keep enough distance between horses or skip the walking ring. No ponies for warming up / post parade. No starting gate crew (let the grooms lead the horses in the starting gate, worst that can happen is that a horse won't load).

The only guys that should wear masks or a protective face shield (like from the med field) should be the jockeys - dunno about the vision impairment though, but they could use those shields like they are using goggles. Good thing is that it's outside plus there is some space between jocks anyway when they're on horses. Can do a pre-screening for symptoms too.

I am huge on the social distancing thing and everyone abiding those rules. Because the goal is to give everyone who gets it (sooner or later it will be 60 to 70% of the people) a chance and a hospital bed/intensive care if needed. However, if they can conduct racing in a safe manner, who cares? The way I said would still be 10 times safer than going grocery shopping. The only argument I would count is that if someone gets seriously injured they are taking away one critical care bed from people who might need it.
Modern Renaissance

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm

I don't think it's just the racing. It's the other people who will need to be there, like the tv crew. Studios are an extreme tight fit; my sister works in news and they actually have everyone working in an individual a studio alone. She works for a big company though. I doubt Gulfstream has this but the poor color coordinator making $30k a year doesn't deserve this.

Florida is probably going to start seeing their case numbers rise in another week or two, especially since their Governor was basically shamed into closing the beaches and would have left them open.The lack of US federal response has all be guaranteed nothing is going to happen and we are probably in this for the long haul. People are not social distancing at all and do not care. Its upsetting. My in laws wont stay inside since Trump thinks spending is what matters most, despite being elderly. So go out and spend do they.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:57 pm

The headline on this post is apparently incorrect.
Gulfstream Says Reported Threats Of Legal Action Over Potential Shutdown Are ‘False’
From the article:
Bill Badgett, executive director of Florida operations for The Stronach Group, owner of Gulfstream Park, categorically denied any threat of legal action.
“Our priority during these challenging times is the health and well-being of our employees and the horses we all love and care for,” Badgett said in a statement issued Wednesday morning. “Racehorses are living, breathing animals that require constant supervision and care. It would be detrimental to their health, safety and welfare to stand in their stalls without daily exercise. There are over 3,200 horses that call Gulfstream Park home and our training and racing is being conducted by essential personnel only who are operating under stringent measures for protection that are aligned with the best guidance from health and governmental authorities. We value our relationship with the City of Hallandale and any suggestion of legal action during this time is false.
“On March 12, we voluntarily closed our venues to the public and we will continue to work with all stakeholders including city, county and state officials to ensure that we are in full compliance with all requirements for social distancing.”

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... wn-racing/
Flanders

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:08 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:57 pm
The headline on this post is apparently incorrect.
Gulfstream Says Reported Threats Of Legal Action Over Potential Shutdown Are ‘False’
From the article:
Bill Badgett, executive director of Florida operations for The Stronach Group, owner of Gulfstream Park, categorically denied any threat of legal action.
“Our priority during these challenging times is the health and well-being of our employees and the horses we all love and care for,” Badgett said in a statement issued Wednesday morning. “Racehorses are living, breathing animals that require constant supervision and care. It would be detrimental to their health, safety and welfare to stand in their stalls without daily exercise. There are over 3,200 horses that call Gulfstream Park home and our training and racing is being conducted by essential personnel only who are operating under stringent measures for protection that are aligned with the best guidance from health and governmental authorities. We value our relationship with the City of Hallandale and any suggestion of legal action during this time is false.
“On March 12, we voluntarily closed our venues to the public and we will continue to work with all stakeholders including city, county and state officials to ensure that we are in full compliance with all requirements for social distancing.”

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... wn-racing/
No they changed it and updated the story since I posted it this morning. There was nothing from Gulfstream officials in the first article I saw.
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:52 pm
I don't think it's just the racing. It's the other people who will need to be there, like the tv crew. Studios are an extreme tight fit; my sister works in news and they actually have everyone working in an individual a studio alone. She works for a big company though. I doubt Gulfstream has this but the poor color coordinator making $30k a year doesn't deserve this.
I wish that the poor color coordinator making $30K a year could voice her own opinion here.
Modern Renaissance

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Thou can delete unless we collects receipts.

Edit: a word
Last edited by Modern Renaissance on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stark

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 pm
Though can delete unless we collects receipts.
Happy hour?